Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So afraid I am going to screw this up.

Well not sure if this is going to be helpful but i feel the same way and i moved up my diet about 4 days early. I am doing really well tolerating food and i let my body judge what i can do to a certain extent. When i was on liquids i was so hungry so i tried just a couple bites of vegi refried Beans. I did just fine and it filled me up longer. FYI if i really want to taste something i chew it up, taste it then spit it out....lol Seriously do what you got to but keep on the right track. This is forever so take time to adjust and know you are going to be great at this.

Love and Light to you

You should be afraid. Fear is a powerful motivator. Fear can also lead to respect. For example, I do not work with electricity anymore since getting the **** shocked out of me. I understand how it works and now have the utmost respect for electricity. I no longer fear it though. If you use this time to learn proper nutrition and establish good eating habits, you will no longer fear failure but you may respect the power food can have over you.
I see this stated so many times and I truly do not understand why people choose to call it cheating. Cheating is almost always done to win. In our situations, "cheating" always indicates failure or weakness. Don't despair! We all have weak times, it's natural. But having the idea in your head that you are cheating does not help you win at anything. Recognize it as a weak moment so that you can work on becoming stronger.

I've eaten some chips if I really feel the need to but jyst a few to taste and stop that craving. I feel like wiser choices would be better but staying in a decent serving size helps. I grab a handful of chips, don't sit down with the bag.

17 minutes ago, hmills653 said:

I've eaten some chips if I really feel the need to but jyst a few to taste and stop that craving. I feel like wiser choices would be better but staying in a decent serving size helps. I grab a handful of chips, don't sit down with the bag.

Haha.....I chew them up to taste them, then spit it out in the trash. I grouse my kids out big time. Love it. :P

Edited by JupiterSky

1 hour ago, JupiterSky said:

Well not sure if this is going to be helpful but i feel the same way and i moved up my diet about 4 days early. I am doing really well tolerating food and i let my body judge what i can do to a certain extent. When i was on liquids i was so hungry so i tried just a couple bites of vegi refried Beans. I did just fine and it filled me up longer. FYI if i really want to taste something i chew it up, taste it then spit it out....lol Seriously do what you got to but keep on the right track. This is forever so take time to adjust and know you are going to be great at this.

Love and Light to you

Woah... this is just chocked full of bad advice. It's your life so you can do what you want, but please don't encourage people to advance their diet before their surgeon tells them to do so.

Chewing food and spitting it out is just training for an eating disorder. Not to mention that it triggers the stomach to start producing more stomach acid that could lead to heart burn, or worse case scenario complicate and/or intellectually challenged the healing process.

"Listening to your body" is a popular phrase on here but it is bad advice. Listening to our bodies made many of us fat and lazy.

If this is forever, the best thing to do is follow the plan to the letter to establish good habits.

Take a bath, learn to knit, take a night class and learn a foreign language, join a book club, take up painting, quilting, pottery, buy a bicycle and join a meetup to bike, etc.

Keeping food centric thinking won't help you. Post a physical calendar and cross off days for each day you make it on plan, put a diff colored star on each stage start day and reward yourself with a new Bracelet, or a mani-pedi, or something when you make it to that stage. Hang in there, it's short term.

3 hours ago, BigViffer said:

...and/or intellectually challenged the healing process.

lol, I did NOT type that. I used the word R E T A R D the healing process. As in "delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment." You know... the F U C K I N G definition of the word.

Jesus, I hate the PC over compensation of this forum.

3 hours ago, BigViffer said:

Woah... this is just chocked full of bad advice. It's your life so you can do what you want, but please don't encourage people to advance their diet before their surgeon tells them to do so.

Chewing food and spitting it out is just training for an eating disorder. Not to mention that it triggers the stomach to start producing more stomach acid that could lead to heart burn, or worse case scenario complicate and/or intellectually challenged the healing process.

"Listening to your body" is a popular phrase on here but it is bad advice. Listening to our bodies made many of us fat and lazy.

If this is forever, the best thing to do is follow the plan to the letter to establish good habits.

In no way was I sugesting people not follow their Dr's advice. This forum is to just share our experiences. I am not advicing anyone just sharing my experience which is all new to us. You are entitled to your opinion but you seem to have a really negative tone in your post. I do not appreciate you taking my joke of chewing food and spiting it out as a future eating disorder. You don't know me and have no right to judge me. You also have no right to tell us that listing to your body is bad advice. You are not a Dr nor a psychologist so your opinion is not any better than my opinion. We are grown up human beings that are smart and can think for ourselves. We don't need you bringing your negative bashing to the forum. If someone did not agree with my comments they do not have to consider them at all and just move on. You took it apon yourself to think that anyone who read my post was to stupid to form their own opinion and you had to tear my comments apart with what you felt was right and correct. This is a friendly sharing site. Please don't ruin it.

Ugh, another sensitive newbie getting ruffled feathers when someone with a little experience replies to their poorly thought out post.

First off, this forum is for discussion. You posted some points and I posted some counter points. I may have done so bluntly but I did not do so negatively.

If your information is correct and you had surgery on 7/10, you are pretty new to the experience of living with the sleeve and you've only been on this forum for a very short while. You have a higher opinion than I do about the collective wisdom of people. We have members here who literally stopped on the way home from the hospital and grabbed fast food to eat. Since I have been a member here there have been many people sent back to the hospital for advancing their diet because they were listening to their bodies and not to the surgeon. The chewing and spitting out is not a joke, it happens all the time on here and has led to eating disorders.

I wasn't judging you, but I am starting to do so. I think you are naive and inexperienced but have good intentions. You ask me not to ruin a friendly sharing site, I ask you not to ruin a valuable resource of information. If you think my posts are negative, there are tools available to you to block my posts.

If someone is eating chips to stop a craving how is that learning new behaviors? Sure, now, while our stomachs can only hold a handful, it's probably not going to make you gain weight but what about down the road? This is the time we should be taking full advantage of our sleeves. We won't get this opportunity again. I won't even bring chips into the house, not even Protein chips. Tread carefully.

Ugh, another sensitive newbie getting ruffled feathers when someone with a little experience replies to their poorly thought out post.
First off, this forum is for discussion. You posted some points and I posted some counter points. I may have done so bluntly but I did not do so negatively.
If your information is correct and you had surgery on 7/10, you are pretty new to the experience of living with the sleeve and you've only been on this forum for a very short while. You have a higher opinion than I do about the collective wisdom of people. We have members here who literally stopped on the way home from the hospital and grabbed fast food to eat. Since I have been a member here there have been many people sent back to the hospital for advancing their diet because they were listening to their bodies and not to the surgeon. The chewing and spitting out is not a joke, it happens all the time on here and has led to eating disorders.
I wasn't judging you, but I am starting to do so. I think you are naive and inexperienced but have good intentions. You ask me not to ruin a friendly sharing site, I ask you not to ruin a valuable resource of information. If you think my posts are negative, there are tools available to you to block my posts.

I started this post and guess what I must be a sensitive newbie. Every post I read of yours is borderline rude. You may think you are throwing down words of wisdom but you don't have to be hateful. Thanks for the only piece of good advice I am taking. I blocked you.

In no way was I sugesting people not follow their Dr's advice. This forum is to just share our experiences. I am not advicing anyone just sharing my experience which is all new to us. You are entitled to your opinion but you seem to have a really negative tone in your post. I do not appreciate you taking my joke of chewing food and spiting it out as a future eating disorder. You don't know me and have no right to judge me. You also have no right to tell us that listing to your body is bad advice. You are not a Dr nor a psychologist so your opinion is not any better than my opinion. We are grown up human beings that are smart and can think for ourselves. We don't need you bringing your negative bashing to the forum. If someone did not agree with my comments they do not have to consider them at all and just move on. You took it apon yourself to think that anyone who read my post was to stupid to form their own opinion and you had to tear my comments apart with what you felt was right and correct. This is a friendly sharing site. Please don't ruin it.

Don't let him get to you. He has commented on a couple of my posts. I blocked him just now. He is always rude in my opinion. Have a great Friday.

7 hours ago, BigViffer said:

Yes i might have some inexperience on my side true, but the way you respond to people is so inappropriate for a caring concerned experienced bariatric patient. I don't need your Ugh or you condescending remarks on now you will start to judge me. It's not your job to go around and judge what people are saying is appropriate to your standards. Your answer is if i don't like it, just to block you. My question is why do you need to be this way? Why can't your responses be a positive structured influence instead of the negative thought that people are just stupid and need your harsh comments to straighten up.

Plus for you to say that the collective wisdom of people are just ignorant and furthermore more need your your harsh guidance to succeed is small minded and sad. If you noticed some of the collected people also commented on how rude and brass you are and that is not helping.

If you want to help naive people like myself show some love. Be kind and supportive and show people that you are a valuable resource. I have seen your pics. You look amazing and have done so well on your journey. Carrying and supporting people means patients and understanding. We do need help and advice not a tongue lashing on how you think i am just chalked up with bad advice. Inspire and teach in your comments. I do not wish to lower my energy with negative thoughts and feelings about this. I will not respond to you again and hope that you will listen to just a little bit of constructive criticism. I wish you love and peace and a successful journey.

My replies that people are saying are rude, I see as at worse curt or abrupt.

I didn't judge you until you played the part of victim in an imaginary bullying forum post.

I do not plan out my response to be being positive nor negative, but factual.

In regards to the collective wisdom, just wait a few weeks and read the posts that inevitably appear about eating pizza, tacos, or some other incredible food while they are supposed to be on liquids. You may rethink your stance on the matter. That person I have no interest in helping since they care so little for themselves. However, other new post op people may read the post so I will reply with information.

Thank you for the compliments on my pictures. Yes I have done well, and it has been because I listened to my surgeon and not my body. I collected facts and knowledge, I did not accomplish anything with warm fuzzies from the forum. You say that new patients need help and advice, I believe that they need information and determination. I can provide the information from my experience, but that it all. Since I am one of the more successful members past two years still left on this site, there are questions that I can answer more accurately than someone that is less than a year out.

I have never given anyone a tongue lashing. No one on here is worth my time to think of insults. At best, they'll get an eye roll. I'm sure many will see this post as yet another rude reply or me being mean. I truly do not intend for it to be that way. I am completely dispassionate about the issue. I merely replied because your response was well thought out and clearly communicated without being adversarial. I am sure we both want the same things, but we approach the same goal from very different directions.

Good luck.

I gave up unhealthy food & beverage favorites months before surgery. It was hard to give up sugar, processed food, bread, soda, and alcohol but I wanted to make a lasting change and to not go through "detox" and have to deal with cravings right after surgery. This approach worked well for me and I'd recommend others consider doing the same to prepare for your new lifestyle ahead of time.