Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One week to go and neurotic!

I'm surgery in eight days time. I know it's eight days time because it's all I flipping think about.

Is anyone else finding that their every waking hour is spent with 'just one more thing' about their impending surgery? It's not the big things like 'will I dies on the operating table' or 'am I making the right decision' that are getting into my head. It's everything else. Are you thinking about the most minute details possible?

It's not that I want answers, per se, I just think I need to worry about something to fill the time. Here are some of the things that I expended too much mental energy on yesterday:

Will I be able to drink espressos post-op?

How many times a day can I moisturise to help minimise excess skin?

Slippers or barefoot?

Why are Protein Shakes in such sweet flavours when I don't have a sweet tooth?

When will I be able to ride my bike?

What happens when my five year old jumps on my tummy? He's bound to forget eventually!

Will I be able to bend down and tie-up my sneakers before I go for a walk?

Will my beard appear to be thicker? Should I keep it once I've lost weight?

I really like that straw hat in the sale... but is my head going to shrink?

Okay, that's just a sample. Some are actually too trivial for me to remember. The point isn't that I need lots of answers (trust me I've asked about plenty in the forums) it's just that I'm feeling increasingly distracted. Maybe it's nerves. I'm actually in a great place, I'm loving my pre-op diet, the sense of progress and achievement it's giving me and the discipline I'm practising (it's not liquid only, all real food, but it's very precise and the weighing and logging is great). It's just the nowadays I think of little else!

I'm surgery in eight days time. I know it's eight days time because it's all I flipping think about.
Is anyone else finding that their every waking hour is spent with 'just one more thing' about their impending surgery? It's not the big things like 'will I dies on the operating table' or 'am I making the right decision' that are getting into my head. It's everything else. Are you thinking about the most minute details possible?
It's not that I want answers, per se, I just think I need to worry about something to fill the time. Here are some of the things that I expended too much mental energy on yesterday:
Will I be able to drink espressos post-op?
How many times a day can I moisturise to help minimise excess skin?
Slippers or barefoot?
Why are Protein Shakes in such sweet flavours when I don't have a sweet tooth?
When will I be able to ride my bike?
What happens when my five year old jumps on my tummy? He's bound to forget eventually!
Will I be able to bend down and tie-up my sneakers before I go for a walk?
Will my beard appear to be thicker? Should I keep it once I've lost weight?
I really like that straw hat in the sale... but is my head going to shrink?
Okay, that's just a sample. Some are actually too trivial for me to remember. The point isn't that I need lots of answers (trust me I've asked about plenty in the forums) it's just that I'm feeling increasingly distracted. Maybe it's nerves. I'm actually in a great place, I'm loving my pre-op diet, the sense of progress and achievement it's giving me and the discipline I'm practising (it's not liquid only, all real food, but it's very precise and the weighing and logging is great). It's just the nowadays I think of little else!

Hahahaha god bless that sounded like me honestly you will work it out after your surgery! I know it's hard but seriously. Im able to the my shoes and bend over etc I just walk a little slower maybe I'm over cautious I have no idea if he bumps your tummy it won't be a problem :)
I wear socks instead of slippers hahahaha your over thinking it and everyone does and riding your bike will be when ever you feel comfortable to :) only you have the answers! :)

Sent from my A1601 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks Sheri!

I just want to get in there so I can actually have stuff to do and cope with, not just think about!

Jx

yes thank you @TheUnrealJohn , I thought I was the only person who was like way too in my head about nonsensical things. Funny that I've even wondered the same thing about espresso, we have it at work instead of drip coffee and its fantastic.. I wonder about foods that I'm not going to like anymore and I specifically think of salt and vinegar chips. Occasionally I think it would be easier if I could just nap through time, and wake up right after surgery.. I read half way through 'The Big Book on The Gastric Sleeve', btw the first half is just a gigantic list of possible complications, a tad unnerving to say the least, I try not to read it before bed. I wake up in the morning and post op is literally the first thing on my mind...2 more days.2 very long days hahaha

Uh oh, this sounds like me and I still have two weeks to go! How neurotic will I be in a week?? Start my 2 Protein Drinks plus one simple meal a day diet tomorrow. Today I say goodbye to "any food" but I feel I already said goodbye because I've been paying attention in kind of a sad way to each bite already. Got to mourn the freedom of not paying attention... by paying attention. I have zero desire to pig out.

I am excited and scared. I just want to be like those ones who have no serious pains or nausea post surgery. I want to be among those whose recovery goes smoothly. Please!

Everything will be great, I had some of the same thoughts too! hahaha. But I don't drink coffee anymore, it upsets my sleeve, I can do Decaf without problems. I would suggest walking as much as you can for the first week and increase your distance, you'll feel so much better. Just make sure you get as much liquids as you can tolerate after surgery too. I'm around 10 months out of surgery and my lifestyle has changed for the better, more energy, I still have around 20 more lbs to go. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about the skin...I go back to surgeon in late September to schedule skin removal surgeries.

@DedicatedLady it's a long strange trip.

The weird thing is I'm pretty relaxed about the big stuff, but I suspect somewhere deep down my mind knows better and is laughing at me.

I'm now as easily distracted as a toddler.

Tonight I expect to google whether my feet will get smaller, what the Protein content of a glass of Water is and whether I should wear my pyjamas in hospital because the fly tends to come open and kind of advertise my wares.

Jx

Edited by TheUnrealJohn

Hahahaha I am currently on google with "what does 80 grams of Protein look like" The answer is, a LOT

The sad part is that an egg white is only 3.6 grams :( . Thank goodness for chicken breasts, tuna and Beans because I can't stand yogurt and it's so highly recommended all over the place for protein.

Yes, you are being absolutely normal! It is all that is on your mind for a while. But all will be great......best wishes.

Yep. It was ALL I thought about! I can't begin to explain the relief when it was over! I was so sick of thinking about everything.
Of course after surgery you have a whole new slew of things to think about!
I've avoided buying shoes because I read our feet will shrink!
Post surgery you'll be on a new neurotic tangent. Alarms for Vitamins, did I drink enough, is my pee the right color, etc etc
Good news is, I'm six weeks out and this no longer consumes my thoughts and I'm actually living again!

Can't wait for the pee fixation!

Truth is I'm great - feel strong and optimistic.

It's a bit like going on holiday - you spend all your time on Trioadvisor, you buy the guidebooks, you pack a week early... actually, that's not me!

Can't wait for the pee fixation!

Truth is I'm great - feel strong and optimistic.

It's a bit like going on holiday - you spend all your time on Trioadvisor, you buy the guidebooks, you pack a week early... actually, that's not me!

That's TOTALLY me!
Anticipation is half the fun!

I'm glad you're optimistic. I think it helps a lot going in with that mind set. I've only had one kind of down day. Not bad!

Ha! I can totally relate... my surgery is this Thursday and I've been obsessing over the compression socks provided by the hospital... will they have the toes cut out in order for me to use my flip flops in the hospital??

Also been obsessing over how I'm going to get my compression socks on during the plane ride without disturbing the people sitting next to me...

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Ha! I can totally relate... my surgery is this Thursday and I've been obsessing over the compression socks provided by the hospital... will they have the toes cut out in order for me to use my flip flops in the hospital??
Also been obsessing over how I'm going to get my compression socks on during the plane ride without disturbing the people sitting next to me...
🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

I have those stupid socks there a pain in the back side! I have to wear them for 2 weeks lucky I only have under a week of them to be on they are irritating

Sent from my A1601 using BariatricPal mobile app