Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vitamin Deficiency, 13 years post op

Had Roux-en-Y gastric bybass back in 2004. I continue to battle Hashimoto's and hypothyroidism however I have seen recently I have symptoms deficiency ....severe brain fog, so tired I could drop asleep anytime, sore that do not heal for months on end, hair thinning, among other things. I am going back on the 13th for more blood tests & I will be requesting for a more serious look at my levels.

What would you suggest I ask for bloodtest ? (I have already had Vit D, Ferretin & B12.

Anyone else have issues like this many years postop?

Thanks!

Who is testing you? Sounds like you need a surgeon's office to do that. The panel you list is not even the panel that you can google for. Have you not been having full lists of bloodwork every year?

You can also use the bloodwork list your surgeon did after that surgery.

This is reg family doc. Frankly, my surgeon does less testing than family doc will.

Not sure what you mean by a panel I have listed as I didn't list one. I was only mentioning that I have had my Vitamin D, ferretin, and B12 tested a couple of weeks ago. To get a full blood work every year you have to really beg as they do not feel it is necessary.

What were you getting in years past? Did you keep a record of what the surgeon tested for you? Have you checked online for blood work lists? Bariatric blood work would give you several results to choose from.

The regular doc should be able to find this also.

My family doc also does my bloodwork. She wondered which tests I needed and I said, "I can google it for you" and she said, no.. she could get the list. She went out, and came back 10 minutes later with a comprehensive list. So they do have access to these things (or at least mine does). I was short on Vitamin A and D.

With all your symptoms, it sounds like it is a given that you're needing some things. Please talk to your doctor about getting that bloodwork done every year. If they refuse, you need a new doctor. Since you are a bariatric patient, insurance companies understand the need for these tests.

Hope you can get sorted out soon!

How old are you? Could this be perimenopause or menopause? Are you having neuropathy in your feet, etc? Do you smoke? So many variables.

Good luck.

I am 55 years old. I had a hysterectomy in 2014 (which they cut me wrong and I ended up with 4 surgeries in a week! I mention this as this truly was so traumatic on my body, so much was depleted I feel I have never gotten back....I gained 50 lbs in the hospital, and have never lost back down to my original weight upon going in. I still deal with severe inflammation)

I only have one ovary now. I do not smoke. I do not drink. I am not having neuropathy in my feet. I am told my numbers are good and I do not have pre-diabetes.

My symptoms are brain fog, vision issues at night, I suddenly get very fatigued, lack of concentration, random sores on my body do not heal for months at a time, weight gain, and inflammation.

I get like that when my thyroid levels are off. I'd gotten lax about HOW I take it, not understanding that it interacted with other things I took. After 20+ years, I just didn't think about it. Once I realized, I adjusted for that. Made a difference. I hope you find some relief soon!

I get like that when my thyroid levels are off. I'd gotten lax about HOW I take it, not understanding that it interacted with other things I took. After 20+ years, I just didn't think about it. Once I realized, I adjusted for that. Made a difference. I hope you find some relief soon!

That was my thought too. All of those symptoms could be hypothyroidism. I had hashimotos for over a decade before having my thyroid removed in 2011. In addition to having your doctor check Vitamins, I'd make an appointment with an endocrinologist to check on your thyroid.

I will never go to an ENDO doc again. I am seeing a functional doctor now and hope that will really help me out. So far he has run more tests and offered more assistance than any endo. They dont want to get to the root cause, just treat symptoms. :)

I'm sorry you have had such bad experiences with endocrinologists. I've been lucky to work with more than one who were very caring.

I will never go to an ENDO doc again. I am seeing a functional doctor now and hope that will really help me out. So far he has run more tests and offered more assistance than any endo. They dont want to get to the root cause, just treat symptoms. [emoji4]

It took me 15 years to realize that. Now I just go to my Endo to monitor my nodules and refill prescriptions. He does run the usual thyroid tests.
I also suffer from Hashimotos and am deficient in Vit D and Iron, for which I take supplements.
Currently Pre op.

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

Sorry you had a bad experience. I've also been happy with mine. We do regular blood work like clockwork, though, I have both thyroid and diabetes issues, so my endo has been wonderful in helping me get better regulated.