Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I won the lawsuit against SLIMBAND IN TORONTO how do i collect

One of the former directors of Slimband owns CreditMedical Inc. which is the loan company many of us got our $16,000 loans from in order to get banded. I don't think it would hurt to go after him as well since he gave us the loans fraudulently at a high interest rate for a faulty medical device. Report as to what you find out.

Hi there I too was taken in by slim band and like you all paid a fortune for nothing. I felt so stupid for getting the banding done and thought I was alone . Not that I wanted anyone else to feel this way but also glad to know I’m not alone . I just went in Dec to get this band removed because of the vomiting and when we removed all liquid it twisted and was causing discomfort .
if there is a law suit I would absolutely love to join you in this .
To know how much this man took from us and the money he made and is still allowed to practise medicine says a lot about our medical system.
I know there were no guarantees but I lost no weight at all and when I would phone to get a fill request I was told I wasn’t following their guidelines it was always my fault not theirs .
I saw a story done on either marketplace or W5 and lots of similar stories. I just would like my money back and to move on. Let me know if anything takes off and how I can help.
By the way I did my homework before considering this procedure but all the reviews must have been from workers or paid for reviews as there were no bad reviews.
Thanks for letting me rant

I have contacted a legal firm in Vancouver that already has a class action against the company that makes Lap-Band. Since we already have many people interested in a class action against Slimband, they might just take the case on a contingency basis (i.e. they would get 10% of any money recovered). I will let you know if/when I hear back from them. Since the Slimband clinic is closed, that would not be our target. And unfortunately it wouldn't be Dr. Patrick Yau either. It would be the owner of BOTH Slimband clinic and CreditMedical.com where many of us got our medical loans from, as it is still practicing and making TONS of money charging huge interest rates on medical loans. Where there's big money, you can bet a lawyer is going to be interested - especially since they've probably already done a lot of research into banding for their initial suit. Personally I will probably have the band removed at some point but not until I can find a surgeon that will revise my RNY to make the pouch smaller. I had an RNY in 2002 and the pouch expanded so I got the Slimband in 2013 to increase restriction again. If I take the band off, I will still have the big pouch, and I don't want that. I expect that with missed work due to Slimband complications since January 2013, I will be owed in the tens of thousands of dollars easily.

Hi Jenottawa, count me in . I too had to finance for this and it is disgusting that double dipping was allowed. Please keep me updated and let me know what I can do to be of help .

When I know anything, I will keep this thread updated. I promise. Turns on your notifications for any replies. :)

Thanks for the update on the Vancouver law firm. I would be very interested in pursuing that. Since having my band removed I’ve had to have 2 surgeries to repair the damage because of my band being put in upside down. But I do lose a lot of weight with restrictions although I couldn’t ever have a fill but I didn’t have any appetite and I found with the help of my nutritionist and trainer I did lose the weight. But since removing the band I have gain about 70 pounds back. I’m going next week for gastric sleeve procedure. The doctor I’ve been working with went through different options and because of the band issues he feels this is the best option for me.
But I definitely would want to be involved in the legal

Will keep everybody informed as I get information from them. The paralegal that responded to me gave me the name of the lawyer handling the Lap-Band class action and copied them on my inquiry so they are aware of the situation. Just giving them time to get back to me...

Hi just recently found this forum. I had my surgery in 2010 with Yau. The last few years I’ve had abdominal pain, multiple ultrasounds and most recently a cat scan And stomach scope. All resulting in determining that the band tubing is no longer attached To the port and floating in my abdomen, and the band itself has slipped significantly. There’s no determination as of yet to go in and take it out (though I’d prefer) but I would love to be involved in getting some kind of recompense. Thanks guys for sharing. I’ll keep watching to see how it goes!

My daughter had the lap band procedure performed by Lau private practice with quack doc Lau dointhe surgery himself in 2017 in Toronto. It has caused nothing but pain, suffering & grief...this afternoon she began vomiting blood and required being ambulanced to the local hospital. The band has slipped and she is going through emergency surgery to have it removed as I'm typing this. If anyone can please guide me to the law office that is filing a class action lawsuit against this maniac butchering quack it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I never heard back from the legal firm I contacted. We might have to start at square one. I thought they would be the best ones to handle it since they have a class action against Lap Band, but I guess they aren't interested.

Hi Jen, well I wonder if it isn’t for them because of it being a medical procedure not performed in a hospital . With him closing the clinic getting files etc. It could be too with them being in Vancouver and this happening in Ontario you need lawyers familiar with interprovincial laws.
Maybe we can all put our heads together and come up with plan B .

5 hours ago, jenottawa said:

I never heard back from the legal firm I contacted. We might have to start at square one. I thought they would be the best ones to handle it since they have a class action against Lap Band, but I guess they aren't interested.

I think a Toronto firm with offices on both the east and west coasts might be best as far as people being able to get it to give depositions and such. Is anybody on this message thread friends with someone that might work for a Toronto-based legal office?

Everybody just stay tuned to this thread and I will update when I have more information about a class action. If anybody is part of any other weight loss support groups that include Slimband patients, please let them know about this. I am sure that with the statistics given in the news story I posted (and will post again) about necessary removal, that we could get numbers into the hundreds and they will HAVE to pay - especially us gals that had to go through Credit Medical to get the ridiculous loan for the procedure. As of 2017, over 200 bands have had to be removed. https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/gastric-band-surgery-marketplace-1.4479735