Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What could happen if you don't sip after bariatric surgery?

You would become very dehydrated, which can be dangerous.. deadly even...

Do you mean if you don't sip, but take big drinks?

I'm no expert, just over a week post op, but was told it's just very uncomfortable.

I've forgotten and taken a little bit bigger drinks, and nothing has happened, but haven't taken large gulps.

You have to drink, so I'm hoping you just mean what happens if you take bigger swallows? Nothing, really. It hurts for a few minutes if you gulp a BIG mouthful but that's all. I didn't sip tiny sips for too long, and was drinking normal-sized swallows within a few days.

One week One day out Yeah I was getting a little nervous about this also cause I feel like Im drinking normally and Im not having any issures. I actually feel really great, Loving My New Life.

On July 5, 2017 at 8:51 AM, Darla J said:

One week One day out Yeah I was getting a little nervous about this also cause I feel like Im drinking normally and Im not having any issures. I actually feel really great, Loving My New Life.

That's great to hear. I feel like I take pretty normal drinks without problem.

On 7/4/2017 at 8:52 PM, AZBlackhawk said:

Do you mean if you don't sip, but take big drinks?

I'm no expert, just over a week post op, but was told it's just very uncomfortable.

I've forgotten and taken a little bit bigger drinks, and nothing has happened, but haven't taken large gulps.

Yes I mean take bigger drinks

Sipping wasn't working for me at all I had to take normal swallows otherwise I'd end up dehydrated. 1 oz every 15 minutes is what my discharge instructions say but I ended up blacking out doing that so I just listened to my body and I take normal swigs really. I forgot a few days ago and woke up late night and grabbed my water bottle and starting drinking like almost chugging the Water and it didn't really hurt but it felt uncomfortable for about 30 seconds of gas moving around and then all better.

Sent from my XT1585 using BariatricPal mobile app