Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is something wrong with me?

I'm six days post op, and I feel like I'm having a very different experience from everyone else. First of all, it's taken me all week to lose the 8 pounds I gained in the hospital, so I'm only down 1 pound now. Apparently that is pretty normal due to IV fluids. However, there's more... I have NO PROBLEM getting in my Water and food. My plan allows for 4-6 full liquid meals of 2oz each, and I've never been full since surgery. I always wish I could have more. I can down a bottle of water (16.9 oz) in an hour and a half easily as well. It seems like everyone else is always full, nauseous, and struggling to eat/drink enough. I'm scared that even when I move on to 4oz meals of solid food, I won't have the restriction.

I talked to my surgeon when I was still inpatient, and he said I should be happy that I can eat and drink so easily. I asked how small he had made my stomach and he said "very small."

Has anyone else experienced this? Please tell me I'll be full and have restriction once I'm on solid foods. I feel like I did this for nothing :(

(I had the sleeve)

HW: 296

SW: 262

CW: 261

Surgery date: 6/26/17

I'm six days post op, and I feel like I'm having a very different experience from everyone else. First of all, it's taken me all week to lose the 8 pounds I gained in the hospital, so I'm only down 1 pound now. Apparently that is pretty normal due to IV fluids. However, there's more... I have NO PROBLEM getting in my Water and food. My plan allows for 4-6 full liquid meals of 2oz each, and I've never been full since surgery. I always wish I could have more. I can down a bottle of water (16.9 oz) in an hour and a half easily as well. It seems like everyone else is always full, nauseous, and struggling to eat/drink enough. I'm scared that even when I move on to 4oz meals of solid food, I won't have the restriction.
I talked to my surgeon when I was still inpatient, and he said I should be happy that I can eat and drink so easily. I asked how small he had made my stomach and he said "very small."
Has anyone else experienced this? Please tell me I'll be full and have restriction once I'm on solid foods. I feel like I did this for nothing [emoji20]
(I had the sleeve)
HW: 296
SW: 262
CW: 261
Surgery date: 6/26/17

I didn't have any nausea or pain once I was home. No problem drinking Water either. Once you move to real food you'll notice the restriction. Hang in there.

Everyone is different, I never had nausea either or any other complications and I am losing just fine. It also took me a week to lose the 9 pounds I gained in the hospital... keep it up!

I was the same way right after surgery. I, too was very worried about it. I was afraid that somehow the surgery hadn't worked for me. I learned quickly after resuming solids that it did indeed work. Eating solids is a very different experience. You will definitely feel restriction once you start on dense Proteins. For me having an easy time with liquids also led to having an easier time with solids as well. I can eat anything without feeling sick. I just feel full very quickly. I have been very fortunate to have not experienced any nausea, vomiting, or foaming either. Hopefully it will be the same for you.

Well, I have the same concern. 5 days pos op, and fluids going down very easy. No pain or nausea. I am concerned that I will never feel the restrictions... I know that it is too soon, but thanks God that has been smooth...

Edited by wwmx

Don't worry. You'll feel restriction when you start eating dense Protein. I thought something was wrong with me too. I avoid eating to fullness but I have done it and you'll know it when you feel it.

I was the same way right after surgery. I, too was very worried about it. I was afraid that somehow the surgery hadn't worked for me. I learned quickly after resuming solids that it did indeed work. Eating solids is a very different experience. You will definitely feel restriction once you start on dense Proteins. For me having an easy time with liquids also led to having an easier time with solids as well. I can eat anything without feeling sick. I just feel full very quickly. I have been very fortunate to have not experienced any nausea, vomiting, or foaming either. Hopefully it will be the same for you.

Hey! I could've written this! Exactly how I feel. How far out are you?

2 hours ago, Joann454 said:

Hey! I could've written this! Exactly how I feel. How far out are you?

This has been my experience also. I have only had one time where I drank my Protein Shake a little too fast and ended up with some cramps. It has been smooth sailing for me.

I am 3 months last surgery, but my liquid phase was easy. I was concerned like you, but like everyone mentioned, when you get to solids you will feel the restriction kick in! You will be fine. I am 71lbs down and loving it.

Sent from my VS995 using BariatricPal mobile app

Joann455 I just passed my 3 month anniversary of my surgery. Since starting the preop diet I have lost 56 lbs. I still feel quite a bit of restriction and can only take in about 3 ounces of meat before approaching feeling full.

I am in the exact same boat and it's depressing me. Sleeved 6/30, had a hard time with shakes the first couple days. Down 10.6 pounds, 4 of which I gained due to the swelling of surgery and now I have no problem at all getting all three Protein Shakes down, I had a cup of broth, 1/2 cottage cheese, no sugar added fudgsicle, and all my Water. No problem at all. I'm starting to wonder if my Dr didn't sleeve me at all [emoji17]

You are 100% normal. You won't really feel the restriction until solid food like meat. Your body is healing and you will start losing. I've felt great since day 1 post op so I hope you have the same experience.