Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm an emotional wreck!!! Tell me when this lets up!!

Please tell me my emotions will settles down soon! I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed! 😬😬😬

I had my RNY 6/13 and I feel like it's been getting worse. Ugh!!! I have a follow up appointment with my teams psychiatrist (my surgeon has us see them every so often) I'm hoping he can shed some light for me.

I found my emotions calmed down as my nutrition increased. The first month I was taking in close to a 100g of carbs a day through dairy products (and they were mostly whole.. so I was getting plenty of fat too). After that initial healing period, I started decreasing my carbs (they are at 60g now), to help continue with weight loss.

I don't know if this will help, but when I was on the low fat/low carb preop diet, and Clear Liquids for the first week postop, my emotions were all over the place. Once I brought the milk in during full liquids, things got better very quickly.

Everyone is different, so you may be having something else going on. Hormone dumping is very common (fat cells tend to accumulate hormones, so with the rapid weight loss, those hormones get dumped into your bloodstream). If you have been on medications, I suspect some of them also end up in the blood too.

The lifestyle change will take a few months to become your new "normal".

The main thing is to be kind to yourself. Take it all one day at a time, and things will gradually get better. It absolutely is a great idea to talk to a counselor that is familiar with the bariatric process.

{Hugs} It'll get better! I promise!

I am really struggling as well. However I am reminded that the Lord is sitting on my rightwaiting to take my frustration away. We do spend time together at night. I try to look for what we get to eat and ask the Lord to give me zeal so that I don't grumble.

Thank you for sharing this.

I have ten days to go and nerves are kicking in. If there is an emotional tsunami ahead post-op it's good to know about it (I think I'll have a chat about this to my wife too!). I think back a few years to my wife giving birth after an emergency caesarean, she was overwhelmed by emotion and I'm not sure either of us expected that (we thought it would just be a nice warm glow). Of course with these things being done to your body it should be no surprise at all.

Knowing that this could be ahead might not prevent it - but it may help others (I mean me!) cope by realising it's a normal part of the healing process.

I remember being overwhelmed trying to figure out what I could eat... then realizing just to chill and try to enjoy the journey. If you take Vitamins and Protein your energy will be good..I think it's important to be gentle with ourselves when we're healing. Thinking back now it seems like an interesting time with the weight melting off of me and just completely absorbed in my diet and new lifestyle...I did read a couple of books from people who had a bypass which I think helped with my expectations of the experience.

He emotional rollercoaster is normal and will let up the further out you go. It's very similar to the feelings of being pregnant both with the heightened smell, taste, and the emotional ride. It's caused by the release of estrogens stored in fat-yes, men have estrogen stored in their fat too. I can't remember how long it took to let up, but it's not forever-thank God! [emoji23]