Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help Craving Texture and to chew food

Hi all! I was sleeved6/14. I have a problem where I am craving to chew food. Not swallow just chew.... I have taken bites and spit it out (gross I know). I know i obviously need will power to stop this so please don't give me any rude responses back. I'm hoping if this gets easier? I really notice it when I'm cooking for my family. I am still on full liquids so can't eat but the need to chew almost feels compulsive. Am I the only one out there with this urge?

No im sure you're not, but try and power thorough. It's a very limited time you will have to do this for!

Just tell yourself this too shall pass!!! You can do it!

I am in full liquid phase and I'm eating some things. A cracker or crouton here or there. A tiny piece of cheese. The tiny chards of vegetables in cream Soups. I'm perfectly fine.

Edited by bcl1628

I am in full liquid phase and I'm eating some things. A cracker or crouton here or there. A tiny piece of cheese. The tiny chards of vegetables in cream Soups. I'm perfectly fine.

Please don't encourage others to do as you are. You may indeed be "perfectly fine" you may be doing yourself some damage you aren't yet aware of.

Regardless, it's not responsible to set yourself up as more of an expert than the posters doctor.

7 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

Please don't encourage others to do as you are. You may indeed be "perfectly fine" you may be doing yourself some damage you aren't yet aware of.

Regardless, it's not responsible to set yourself up as more of an expert than the posters doctor.

HA! Did I ever say I was a doctor?

Sigh....

Well to the OP, please be careful. Just because another person fresh out of surgery thinks they are just fine doesn't mean they are.

Try hard to resist the urge to go off your plan. For your own sake!

I have had the same issue! I have pushed my boundaries a bit with eating solids. Sometimes it goes down ok, but if I take it too far I get a massive gut ache. I keep telling myself it is only a temporary situation with the liquids, but it is hard. Watching my family eat while I sip Tomato Soup is the worst. I want so bad to eat a salad or anything with texture!!

This is my biggest struggle for sure. I knew it would be. I'm a chewer. I hate drinking my food. That's why I have never been one to eat milkshakes or smoothies. I have gotten to the point that instead of eating another high Protein Soup i'd prefer to eat nothing at all. I have snuck some food like the previous poster. To save arguments I AM NOT ADVOCATING THAT YOU DO THE SAME. I wasn't able to "power through". So I do a tiny bit here and there. And I chew chew chew. I definitely choose easier to digest items: cheese, cracker, noodle. Nothing too suspect. I pray at my appt on Monday that I'm allowed cottage cheese. I would kill to have some cottage cheese right now.

i found the sugar free popsicles helped the chew crave, also crushed ice. ask your nut when you are advanced to soft whether "crispy" counts. crispy high Protein food like parm crisps can be chewed to a very soft consistency and my nut said this was ok. i have tried a bunch of the high protein Snacks because i like the crunchy texture. (can't wait for another 1-2 months when raw veggies can come back to my life)

Guys it's a week or two.... you CAN power through. Have more confidence in yourself.

Two weeks is a blink of an eye, it will be over SOOOOO soon! You've got this!

I am feeling the same way but powering through. I'm honestly shocked by those that are sneaking a few bites. I am so terrified of a leak that I don't dare. That is why my Dr and Nut said to stay away from anything more for a few more weeks. Looking forward to moving onto puréed foods next week. I figure if I'm willing to do this drastic of a surgery to my body, then by god I am sticking to the plan. It's just a mental game anyway. Stay strong!

I have three more days of full liquids, unless something bad happens when I see the doctor. I am very tired of them. I've never tolerated meal shakes well. All of the Protein I've chosen is supposedly lactose free, but I feel as if I've been drinking milk and my body has never liked that. Also, I really want to drink some Water, not sip it. I'm thirsty! So, I'm very excited about puree day and keep telling my husband what I want! Of course a quarter cup two or three times a day will probably feel limited to my hungry brain, but I think my stomach will like it!

Like NIkkiWorldJourney, I'm surprised that people are eating solids so soon. I do NOT want to screw this up...for me. This is my last ditch effort. If I don't lose the weight now, I never will.

Back when I was 21, I had jaw surgery and was wired shut for about six weeks. I had so survive on Carnation Instant Breakfast Drink. I think that's why I find these shakes so hard to tolerate, but I'll get through it.