Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay I am going to have the gastric sleeve and my mom and sister are trying very hard to talk me out of it. My mom says I can do it on my own or get that new thing were they put blooms in your stomach. I've been fighting my weight and obesity my whole life. I can lose so much even as much as 120 lb but I always put it back on and then some. I need to lose about 120 lb I just got done losing 100 lb up till now and I've put 25 of it back on. I am tired of fighting the yo yo diet. I think I need this tool so I can get under 200lb and then keep it off. I wish my mom was more supportive and quit trying to scare me.

9 minutes ago, getfit4life2017 said:

I am tired of fighting the yo yo diet.

That is the exact reason why I chose to go forward with WLS as well. Never had a problem losing weight, always had a problem keeping it off.

As for your mother scaring you, she is most likely doing that because she herself is scared about it. Education is the best way to turn a naysayer into a cheerleader. I would suggest taking her with you to the doctor on your next visit, or sharing posts on this site with her. Either way, my guess is she will come around to supporting you.

I hope so she is making me so afraid saying she don't have a good feeling about it and make a will for my kids just in case and she will help me lose the weight ECT ECT. Uggh

Well your physician can give stats on risks, my cardio dr said less than 1% chance of dying based on my health. I have a much greater chance of deteriorating health if I stay fat!!!! Is she overweight herself? Anyone else in the family die younger from obesity related health issues? If so, use them as reasons why you need surgery, prevent being sicker now so you can enjoy a long life with your kids. It is not more 'pure' to diet it off.

She used to be over weight maybe a little still but since she became diabetic years ago she lost almost all her weight. My grandma died of diabetes and I'm trying not to become a diabetic. In my family I have some a little over weight members but I'm the only one who is and ever was obsessed. She's always been way over dramatic protective over me and held me back most of my life. I am 46 and she still treats me like I am a kid

2 minutes ago, getfit4life2017 said:

She's always been way over dramatic protective over me and held me back most of my life.

On the bright side that means she really cares about you, and that is a priceless thing. Just educate her regarding the surgery and things will fall into place

Find a WLS group or pal. I am looking for a pal. I have friends but none of them have gone through WLS surgery but, for the most part, they are supportive. Those that don't are without my presence any longer.

I would sit down with her and continue the discussion as to why you are going through with the surgery. The stats of you having complications from the surgery are minimal and worse if you don't.

Going into a discussion I would also look at her side of the argument, is it out of concern for your safety or is there another reason like jealousy? My in-laws were naysayers the entire time about the surgery, but I believe that it was more from jealousy than anything as we showed them the stats. They even said that it wouldn't work, well it's two years later and I've lost over 100 pounds, am healthier, and more active than before. They can see it now, but also claim that I'm too skinny. Um, that's laughable as I'm considered 'overweight' for my height.

My surgeon's office has a support group for WLS patients that meets the 4th Tuesday of the month. See if your surgeon's office has one and if you and your mother can attend the meetings. I wish I would have gone before my WLS but I didn't know about it. My first support group was 5 days post op and I haven't missed one in the almost 9 months since my surgery.

Ignorance and fear make people do and say things that they shouldn't. After my dad found out I had the surgery the first thing he said was, "I didn't think you were that big." Now, just last week, he asked me if I was done losing weight. I told him yes. He then said, "Well, you will just put that weight back on again." My dad is almost 82 and thinks that everything he reads on the internet is true.

Good luck with your mom. We are all here to help and support you the best we can.

Well my mom is more excepting of my decision of WLS she still wishes I wouldn't do it but she knows my mind is made up. So for everyone that's had WLS already did they give you lots of pain Med's after? I'm on pain management and they Spain there going to give me liquid pain medication cause I want be able to swallow a pill. And yes they have support groups I went to one support group so far but I really just need family support ya know.

You need to start moving forward regardless of what other people want. It's hard and it's uphill, but some of the resistance goes away after it's done. keep asking if they want you to live a long healthy life.