Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been banded for 7 years and in the process of getting authorization for band to sleeve revision. It's up and down with the band. Too tight or too loose. Lose/gain/lose/gain and hit repeat! I've never had slippage but being too tight had many vomiting episodes and too loose I'm ravenous. My body at 5' 3 and with band I dropped at lowest to 164. But that was 30 miles per week of running/6 days per week of working out and throwing up or not being able to eat like I needed with band.
Also the adjustment costs add up after a while

And to add to that my surgeon indicated they have found in past few years long term band success is rare. Don't get me wrong there are some who have been extremely successful but the percentage is low

I am a newbie too, but I've been researching for nearly 2 years and have found this site and YouTube extremely helpful. Most people on YT are sleevers (Foodie Turned Sleevie is one of my favorites as well as Short Sleeved T, VSGTanya2011, and LaurenLosing) but there are some gastic bypass or "RNY" as well (Diva Taunia who commented above as well as Minnie Me in TN) plus many others who I haven't mentioned. My personal opinion is that no one should have surgery until they could thoroughly explain the process, benefits, risks, potential side effects, and expectations of life after surgery to a friend who knows nothing about it at all. You should know what you're getting into inside and out (pun fully intended!). Now, I don't think you can ever be completely prepared just because everyone's body and genetics are different, but you should be as prepared as possible because unlike other surgeries this is a lifetime commitment to a new way of thinking and eating.

I haven't found books *quite* as helpful just because they are so general, but I think they could still be valuable in getting an overall view of surgery as sometimes forums or videos are super specific and use terms or phrases you don't know. I bought Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies in a hard copy but I have a bunch of Kindle ones, too, like Weight Loss Surgery: The Real Skinny and The Weight Loss Surgery Coping Companion. Hit up the library and skim through a few before borrowing or buying.

Which surgery to choose is one of the most often asked questions so you are not alone in wondering which one to choose and why! Research them both and ask your surgeon if s/he thinks you are a better candidate for one or the other. If s/he says you're okay to have either one, it's up to you! That's what my surgeon said, which was a tiny bit frustrating as I would have preferred to have the decision made for me! :P I am most likely choosing the RNY because (among other reasons) due to my life circumstances with my husband's accident I would prefer to lose as much excess weight as quickly as possible, and at one year out the RNY has a higher average % of excess weight lost (EWL). At 2 years out the average is around 70% EWL for both the sleeve and the RNY, though, so you will get there either way as long as you permanently change your eating habits!

You asked someone what you can do to get your head right before surgery and I'm not sure if you got an answer. Seeing a therapist (independent of the psychological evaluation you'll get from your surgeon's program) is definitely the way to go. I am working with a counselor now to work out some of the mental kinks I have about eating and food. I would rather do this mental/emotional work now than later after surgery while I am in pain or hungry or frustrated.

One other thing I will say and PLEASE do not take this as negative or as saying anything about your relationship specifically. I have read and also seen a ton of posts here and on other forums about partners who are overweight becoming jealous, angry, or even sabotaging the person who had surgery. (Partners who are not overweight can experience these issues as well!) Unfortunately it can bring out a lot of hidden insecurities as they feel left behind or anxious that you will change or leave them. The book I mentioned above called Weight Loss Surgery: The Real Skinny had a GREAT section about this. Just be honest and talk a lot both before and during your weight loss - keep the lines of communication open!

WHOA this post is super long, I'm terribly sorry about that! Stick around and read as much as you can, it's an incredibly helpful forum!!!

I had gastric bypass. My weight ballooned after the loss of my dog and I got depressed. I was up to 325 lbs. never been that big before. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 10 yrs ago and it went out of control. Sugar levels in the high teens and 20's. sleep apnea soon followed arthritis in my knees and ankles, high blood pressure, high cholesterol all added to the list of health issues. My medicine chest looked like a pharmacy.

Soon after my surgery my sugar levels improved ( my doctor was doing cartwheels) and no more insulin. Arthritis gone... I can walk for miles without pain. And everything else has improved. No more sleep apnea and the stupid machine.

My surgery went great no issues. I was given Oxycontin for the pain to take home only needed it for a few days. Then Tylenol was good enough. I guess the worst thing I can say is I have been constipated a couple of times.

This certainly has been the best thing I have ever done...

I am scheduled for a bypass on July 12th. This was the choice I made with my surgeon for a couple of reasons. 1. I am a type 2 diabetic and the bypass has slightly better numbers concerning resolution of the effects of the disease. 2. Bypass carries it's own behavior modification program in the form of 'dumping', not pleasant I know, but I'm willing to use it to help steer me to better choices. Sometimes I feel weird when I go to support group and I'm the only one choosing rny. It's like all the cool kids go with the sleeve...lol...and I'm the nerdy weird one doing something different. Can't wait to get it done, though. You need to make the choice that will work for you, your body, and your health issues. Good luck!

I am scheduled for a bypass on July 12th. This was the choice I made with my surgeon for a couple of reasons. 1. I am a type 2 diabetic and the bypass has slightly better numbers concerning resolution of the effects of the disease. 2. Bypass carries it's own behavior modification program in the form of 'dumping', not pleasant I know, but I'm willing to use it to help steer me to better choices. Sometimes I feel weird when I go to support group and I'm the only one choosing rny. It's like all the cool kids go with the sleeve...lol...and I'm the nerdy weird one doing something different. Can't wait to get it done, though. You need to make the choice that will work for you, your body, and your health issues. Good luck!

Lol! This cracked me up! I'll let you sit with me at the cool kid table!
RNY is a great surgery (even if I didn't choose it)! I'm jealous of the faster weight loss you all have!

Hello,

My doctor wants me to undergo Bariatric surgery because I'm 5'3" and weigh 289lbs. My BMI is 51 and I have been dieting and exercising all year without any results whatsoever (have not even dropped one pound). I have arthritis, fibromyalgia, diabetes, a thyroid condition, PCOD and ulcerative colitis. All of which my doctor thinks can be helped by weightloss.

Part of the "preparation" I guess you can call it is I have to watch a bunch of videos explaining the different types (band, sleeve and bypass). I was wondering if any one could tell me what kind of success they've had with the different ones, and if possible, share their stories (I know it may be personal, so I won't try to push any one or anything).
I won't lie. I'm a bit anxious about all of this. I have never had any surgery before in my entire life, and this seems like it's a major surgery. But if it will help me get healthier and get some of my medical conditions under control, then I am willing to give it a shot.

Any help would be appreciate, thank you

I had the sleeve, which is a less invasive surgery then the bypass at 320+ pounds. I'm less than two years out and I'm down 150 pounds, last I checked I weighed 165. I wish I had done this so much sooner in life. It gave me an entirely second chance!

Lots of posts again (my fault definitely. My boyfriend and I got roped into helping his sister move. Then I was just in too much pain last night to want to do anything)

I exercise as often as I can. Before the fibromyalgia kicked in back in April, I was going on 2 mile walks every day.

Oh wow, I'm glad you warned me about the restrictions lessening over time. I will definitely have to keep on myself about keeping with healthy choices. I typically eat healthy any ways (my meals consist of between 100-200 calories per serving.

I will have to check out the menus people have posted. Though I'm sure I won't be able to copy them, it will give me a general idea.

I never even considered the possibility of not being able to comfortably eat certain foods afterwards. I can't eat seafood or shellfish (allergic), so for meat, my diet consists mostly of chicken as I don't care for red meat. I'll have to look into stocking up on Protein Shakes and Vitamins before the surgery. I already told my boyfriend that I want to get a couple of cases of bottled Water for after the surgery (we drink gallons of water instead of tap because the tap water where we live is pretty gross).

Wow, it seems like pretty much everyone on here who went with the band has switched to the sleeve. I swear, coming here was the best idea I have had with all of this because I would have gone with the band otherwise!

I agree Little Green. I intend to gather as much information as I can and talk to my doctor about them. But right now, I am leaning towards the sleeve. It seems to be the most helpful to everyone on here. I wouldn't trust books tbh, I'd much rather hear success (or even problem) stories from people who actually went through it. They can tell you things that doctors can't or wouldn't think about.

I already see a therapist every two weeks, and I've already mentioned the surgery to her on the phone. I'll be speaking to her about it more when I see her on Thursday. As for the relationship, he's not the type to get jealous (thankfully. I get more jealous than he does because I have low self-esteem!). I think he's just insecure about his weight more than he lets on. I'll make sure I show him, rather than tell him, that I have no intention of leaving him. Like I said to him, he loved me even when I'm fat. And in my mind, that means he is a keeper. He doesn't want me because I look like a model or whatever. He wants me because of who I am, and not what I am.

I'm not expecting my arthritis to go away (and definitely not the fibro). My arthritis happened when I was a size 16 because I fell throught a hole one story down and injured by spine.

Hmm I think I may do research on the RNY and the Sleeve. Though, given that some of you had mentioned that given the hormonal conditions, sleeve may be best.

To all of you who are currently scheduled, good luck! I completed my video seminar and am waiting for them to call me to start scheduling appointments. I'm to the point where I just can't wait to get it done.

I'm going to florida end of the month to get my stuff (the move up here was spur of the moment so a lot of my belongings are still down there). I had intended to just throw out the clothes too small for me now, but I think I'll keep them lol. Being able to wear some cute clothes is one of the things I look forward to. It's so depressing going to Wal-Mart or something and just not being able to find anything that fits :(

I had a sleeve seven years ago this month. I'm 5'1" and was 242 on surgery day and currently weigh 118 pounds. I had a child 2 years post op.

I was a slow loser. It took me almost a year and a half to reach my original goal of 135, and post baby, another 14 months to get to the weight I am today. I maintain effortlessly, though. No calorie counting - just sensible eating that I learned in my initial year post op. I can't eat large portions, or I'll be uncomfortable, but my sleeve will not cause dumping or prevent me from eating high calorie foods. I still avoid rice, flour tortillas and Pasta and only eat a few bites at a time as they swell and it's easy to overeat these foods. The only foods I don't eat are milk and ice cream, due to lactose intolerance. The sleeve can make it worse (my case) or cause it.

I take a PPI (omeprazole) daily, for acid reflux. Otherwise, no supplements necessary and my labs are outstanding. The last time I had insulin was the day of surgery. My diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol are gone. I had my gallbladder out earlier this year. This is not uncommon with drastic weight loss. Be aware. It could also have been caused by two different medications I'm on, but weight loss is likely. It doesn't mean it will happen, just that it can. I thought I'd dodged it, but 7 years later, nope, I hadn't.

You'll find everyone that's had success is a cheerleader for their surgery. I opted for mine and self-paid rather than have what my insurance covered at the time because it's what I was comfortable doing. I researched for more than a year. Ultimately, you'll decide and hopefully have amazing success. All of these options save and improve lives.

Good luck, and best to you.

Cheri

Lots of posts again (my fault definitely. My boyfriend and I got roped into helping his sister move. Then I was just in too much pain last night to want to do anything)
I exercise as often as I can. Before the fibromyalgia kicked in back in April, I was going on 2 mile walks every day.
Oh wow, I'm glad you warned me about the restrictions lessening over time. I will definitely have to keep on myself about keeping with healthy choices. I typically eat healthy any ways (my meals consist of between 100-200 calories per serving.
I will have to check out the menus people have posted. Though I'm sure I won't be able to copy them, it will give me a general idea.
I never even considered the possibility of not being able to comfortably eat certain foods afterwards. I can't eat seafood or shellfish (allergic), so for meat, my diet consists mostly of chicken as I don't care for red meat. I'll have to look into stocking up on Protein Shakes and Vitamins before the surgery. I already told my boyfriend that I want to get a couple of cases of bottled Water for after the surgery (we drink gallons of water instead of tap because the tap water where we live is pretty gross).
Wow, it seems like pretty much everyone on here who went with the band has switched to the sleeve. I swear, coming here was the best idea I have had with all of this because I would have gone with the band otherwise!
I agree Little Green. I intend to gather as much information as I can and talk to my doctor about them. But right now, I am leaning towards the sleeve. It seems to be the most helpful to everyone on here. I wouldn't trust books tbh, I'd much rather hear success (or even problem) stories from people who actually went through it. They can tell you things that doctors can't or wouldn't think about.
I already see a therapist every two weeks, and I've already mentioned the surgery to her on the phone. I'll be speaking to her about it more when I see her on Thursday. As for the relationship, he's not the type to get jealous (thankfully. I get more jealous than he does because I have low self-esteem!). I think he's just insecure about his weight more than he lets on. I'll make sure I show him, rather than tell him, that I have no intention of leaving him. Like I said to him, he loved me even when I'm fat. And in my mind, that means he is a keeper. He doesn't want me because I look like a model or whatever. He wants me because of who I am, and not what I am.
I'm not expecting my arthritis to go away (and definitely not the fibro). My arthritis happened when I was a size 16 because I fell throught a hole one story down and injured by spine.
Hmm I think I may do research on the RNY and the Sleeve. Though, given that some of you had mentioned that given the hormonal conditions, sleeve may be best.
To all of you who are currently scheduled, good luck! I completed my video seminar and am waiting for them to call me to start scheduling appointments. I'm to the point where I just can't wait to get it done.
I'm going to florida end of the month to get my stuff (the move up here was spur of the moment so a lot of my belongings are still down there). I had intended to just throw out the clothes too small for me now, but I think I'll keep them lol. Being able to wear some cute clothes is one of the things I look forward to. It's so depressing going to Wal-Mart or something and just not being able to find anything that fits [emoji20]

Make sure you process this stuff with the therapist and be aware of how changes can affect your relationship. My doc reminded me of this. It's the weight loss but sometimes you can have mood swings, but outside of that the improvement in self esteem and activity level can bother some. I had several melt downs my first 2 weeks with band, hormones all over the place with rapid loss and post surgery recovery. I was irritable too only being allowed liquids only like 1/2 cup broth every couple of hours. And all of the behaviors and crying spells were unusual for me. Was not like that before surgery

Well my friend Liltwidget... I am pretty cool... ask any of my friends...LOL I had bypass for the same reason my type 2 D was out of control; and I was taking far too much insulin and metformin.

I won't lie I have had a couple of issues with dumping and it's not fun. It's just a learning process don't eat fast and too much at once.

However the odds are in your favor. I've lost 70 lbs in two months. My sugar levels are terrific and my doc is doing cartwheels for that. That's pretty damn good. So hold your head high and laugh at all those sleeves (chickens:230_hatched_chick:) as you lose weight much faster.

good luck not cluck...:228_baby_chick: I just made that up LOL LOL

On 6/29/2017 at 8:41 PM, Introversion said:

The band is usually ineffective with PCOS because it doesn't induce the favorable metabolic and biochemical changes needed for weight loss. You'll still be hungry as a PCOS patient with a lap band.

With all of the health issues you have, I'd opt for a sleeve or bypass if I were you.

I was sleeved with longstanding hypothyroidism, insulin resistance and prediabetes. I lost 100+ pounds and have maintained my weight nicely. I was ravenously hungry prior to the sleeve, but now my appetite is under control.

Still, the struggle is lifelong. Once you've been obese, it's incurable. The body will fight long and hard to get back to its highest weight, so good food choices and exercise are imperative.

Good luck to you!

I noticed that our beginning weight and height are similar. Did you have problems with skin sagging? And if you did, did you have an emotional problem with it?

I also have prediabetes, plus fibromyalgia, sleep apnea, arthritis and different back issues. I am hoping the surgery helps with all of these, along with giving me more energy.

3 hours ago, Christine1126 said:

I noticed that our beginning weight and height are similar. Did you have problems with skin sagging? And if you did, did you have an emotional problem with it?

I don't really have much saggy skin. Then again, I was 34 years old when I was sleeved.

The older you are when you undergo surgery, the less elasticity your skin has. Also, the bigger you were on surgery day, the more likely your skin will sag after a massive weight loss. I suspect I'd be covered in loose skin if I weighed 300+ pounds at the time I was sleeved.

Loose skin was the least of my worries. I see it as a badge of honor. Remaining obese is far worse than sagging skin, at least to me.

I was sleeved 15 months ago. No regrets at all. So very very glad I did it. My recommendation is that you set yourself up for success. The sleeve is just a tool. Make sure you understand that it is only one piece of the puzzle. I could eat my way back to my previous weight, no question. I see a nutritionist regularly who specializes in bariatric patients. This is important because bariatric patients have different needs. I went through several classes for 6 months prior to surgery per my insurance and I was glad I did. I read 3 books on weight loss surgery. One from a Dr., and two from the patient point of view. I spent a LOT of hours on this website reading other's experiences. I researched using credible websites like this one: https://asmbs.org/resources/estimate-of-bariatric-surgery-numbers I also attended weight loss surgery support groups and 3 different weight loss surgery seminars. I also had to do a psychiatric evaluation and get cardiac clearance. All required by my insurance. And you will be given rules to follow. Follow them. This will be very important to your success. 15 months out and I'm still learning and still finding my balance. Weight loss surgery is an awesome tool, but it is only a tool. You have to be fully committed to continued learning and following the rules for the long haul. Proteins first then veggies. If you don't cook, start learning. It will help keep your meal choices interesting and give you more choices. Eating out sometimes is doable, but you have more control if you make your own meals. Also, don't compare yourself to others, everyone is different. Keep reading and doing your research and the very best to you in your search for the best option for you.

Hey. Everyone has really great advice! I just wanted to add that Instagram is a great place to go for wls information, advice, support, etc. There are so many amazing people to follow and that could give you a better idea of what people are eating and doing day to day. I am just over a week postop and I couldn't have done it without the support of the people I met there! My IG name is the same as my user name here if you want to find me I can suggest some good people to follow. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-H812 using BariatricPal mobile app