Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had the band and had to convert to bypass....sleeve mimics band in restriction only.....was to many problems with band...fill has to be exact and may not stay filled. Bypass big decision...so far the best choice made.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I am a 9.5 yr gastric bypass post-op. I've kept off nearly all of the 160 lbs I lost. (I am 5'7" and weighed 320lbs). It is absolutely the best decision I ever made.

The only complication I have had is Iron deficiency anemia, which I was before surgery. Because gastric bypass surgery is malabsorptive, my body no longer retains iron on its own. I get iron infusions about every six months. It doesn't hurt, it's really just a matter of scheduling and time for the appointments.

Before surgery, I had PCOS, high blood pressure, pre-diabetes, sleep apnea, and severe gaut. All of those were resolved post surgery with the weight loss. I no longer have any of them.

I actually chronicled my entire weight loss journey on my YouTube channel (mixed in with my music as well) at:

www.youtube.com/divataunia

Maybe you'll find some of that helpful. 🙂

I had the sleeve 4 weeks ago on monday. I have had no real issues either.. I was in the hospital 2 days, due to nausea. Took liquid Tylenol on day 3 and that was the last. I am eating regular food now (very tiny amounts mind you) I have lost a total of 41 pounds since pre op diet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, marlowedriscoll@gmail.com said:

....sleeve mimics band in restriction only.....

This information is not totally correct. Sleeve gastrectomy induces multiple biochemical changes that promote weight loss, including a marked reduction in secretion of the hunger hormone ghrelin.

Additionally, the sleeve alters nutrient transit time, gut metabolism, and the way bile acids are utilized. So while the sleeve is a restrictive procedure, it induces favorable neurohormonal changes.

Classified as a restrictive procedure, laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy involves modification of the gastric fundus, which expresses various hormones associated with hunger and satiety, insulin secretion and energy balance, and is known to induce rates of type 2 diabetes remission comparable to those observed following malabsorbtive procedures such as the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB). It is therefore likely that metabolic factors are implicated in laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy induced weight loss and resolution of obesity-related conditions.

http://www.laparoscopic.md/sleeve/hormones

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140326142209.htm

Your doctor sounds like s/he is very caring! I had to convince mine to approve the surgery because I "didn't look that big." So you're at least blessed in that regard, dear. [emoji4]

I had the rou N Y (gastric bypass) on 5/9/17 and I've lost 40 lbs thus far. I've been walking a lot and getting more active and some pills have become unnecessary now XD. Bonus: I've been shopping every week for new clothes as I donate my old ones. Woohoo!

There are a plethora of informational n testimonial videos on YouTube, too, if you want more variety of experiences.

Sent from my LG-H918 using BariatricPal mobile app

In general, the bypass is favored for PCOS. You have quite a few comorbidities, and may want the more aggressive procedure.

If you wanted to try the sleeve, it might work for you.... but be sure you are willing to consider a revision down the road if things don't turn out how you want them to. (A sleeve can be converted to a bypass or duodenal switch). The problem with revisions are they don't work as quickly or effectively as the virgin procedure, and the scar tissue gained from the first procedure makes the 2nd one a little harder to perform, and has a little more painful, lengthy recovery. Insurance companies also frequently have clauses that limit the number of procedures and revisions.

Vitamins are required either way, but you'll take more of them with the bypass.

One thing that will make you happy to hear.. the intestines get used to the new arrangement over the first couple years, so people with bypasses typically stop "dumping" after that time. They also absorb more nutrients as well. (This is how people start gaining after a couple years if they don't modify their diets permanently).

Do plenty of research, and be comfortable with your choice. The sleeve is performed twice (?) as much as the bypass nowadays.. but it doesn't mean all those that get the sleeve have received the correct procedure for them. There are plenty of revisions being performed (mostly for newly-developed GERD).

I'm 3 months out from the sleeve, and am very happy. I had high blood pressure (that has gotten better), but that was my only comorbidity.

I had the sleeve May 8th, I choose this surgery due to cost, recovery time, ect. I too have fibromyalgia, arthritis, high cholesterol, and type 2 diabetes. I also have had little success in losing weight prior to surgery. My friend would lose 5lbs and I would gain 1 on the same diet and exercise program! Now I'm not going to lie and say it has been easy AT ALL! I have cried and felt horrible, it has been hard adjusting but I can actually see some results and I am already starting to feel better. After surgery I also decided to stop taking all my fibromyalgia medications in an overall goal to be healthier. It is still slow going but considering my difficult weight loss past not a big surprise. I am 5'7" prior to surgery I was 236 with a bmi of 38 have lost 36 pounds thus far and am hoping to see much much more success I have 36 pounds to go to reach my goal weight!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using BariatricPal mobile app

Lots of posts. I'll just do a mass reply instead of quoting them all lol.

For me, not reaching my "ideal weight" has nothing to do with not thinking it would be possible, and everything to do with what size I feel I would be happy at. I would not want to go below a size 14 tbh. I always had large breasts (even at a size 16, my breast were a DD). So I feel that reaching my "ideal weight" may cause issues with that.

And yes, my doctor is very understanding. She knows how long I have been dieting and exercising. She had me keep a food journal including nutritional content and was shocked to see that I was consuming between 700 and 1,050 calories a day most of the time. Neither of us could really figure out why the weight wasn't coming off. So, I spoke to her and we both agreed this was the next logical step.

It sounds like most of you went with the sleeve, and your reasons are very sound and makes me feel loads better and more confident about choosing the sleeve surgery. Obviously, I will discuss any concerns I may have about my various medical conditions and how they may be affected by the surgery with a doctor just to make sure that I choose the right one.

I'm also glad to hear that I'm not the only one overweight with hyperthyroidism due to Graves Disease! I feel better about that now because everyone I see with hyperthyroidism is skinny!

Thankfully my blood pressure and cholesterol have never been an issue. I avoid any deep fried foods as often as I can (I won't lie. Sometimes I get a small fry and cheeseburger from mcdonalds if I am out and about for an entire day and need a quick snack. Considered their salads until I saw the calorie content of them! Hard to believe a small fry and cheeseburger is the healthier choice). And I'm not really sure why I never had high blood pressure, especially since it runs in my family. I am on lisinopril (only for a few months so far), but that is just for kidney protection due to the Type 2 Diabetes.

I see many of you talk about how little you ate after the surgery. What kind of restriction can I expect? I'd hate to go into it expecting one thing only to find out it was worse or something after.

Honestly, one of the things I look forward to the most is buying new clothes. Yes, it can be expensive, but right now, I have a hard time finding things to fit me unless I go to Lane Bryant or Torrids at the mall. I cant just go to Wal-Mart and buy a pair of jeans like I used to! I hate clothes shopping now because it makes me depressed when everything I try on just doesn't fit. I went to try on swimsuits the other day and it just killed me. The largest size I found at Wal-Mart was a size 24 and I couldn't fit into it :( I actually broke down in the changing room, just sat there on the bench crying. I have very low self-esteem and most of it is based on my weight. While I am fully accepting of other people who are plus size, and feel they are beautiful just as they are and that you can be beautiful at any size, I do not feel that way about myself. I'll tell a friend bigger than me that she's stunning and I mean it. Then I look at myself in the mirror and say (pardon the language) "Look at your fat ass. You're disgusting and ugly. It's a wonder Chris (my boyfriend) is even attracted to you).

lol, Chris actually said last night that when I lose all of the weight I'll probably upgrade my boyfriend (he weighs 364lbs and while he doesn't act it, I think he is self-conscious about that fact). But I assured him that wouldn't ever happen. Yes, typically thinner people have a wider variety of partners to chose from, however, he loves me even when I'm fat. It means he is a keeper and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

I love hearing all of your success stories, I really do. It's helped calm my fears and such. I finished the video seminar last night that the Cleveland Clinic requires, and did their test. Hopefully I'll hear back from them this upcoming week. While I would like to wait until after the first of the year to actually do the surgery (for a couple of reasons. 1. That way my bf can get time off of work for my recovery, and 2. While I never gorge at the holidays, I feel it would be cruel to go through them that soon after the surgery.)

1 minute ago, skyewolfe said:

I see many of you talk about how little you ate after the surgery. What kind of restriction can I expect? I'd hate to go into it expecting one thing only to find out it was worse or something after.

I would expect to be on liquids for a couple weeks after surgery, then progress to soft solids, then dense Proteins. In my opinion it is not that you CAN'T eat after surgery, it is just that you do not want to damage anything during the healing process.

Several months down the road you can eat most foods, and contrary to popular belief, lots of it. Of course you should not do that, and doing so will cause you to gain weight back rapidly, I just wanted to point that fact out because a lot of people new to the procedure simply do not realize that food will literally push through the pyloric valve, or you will throw up, but bingeing is still possible, and thus you should be prepared mentally to avoid it.

I had the sleeve surgery on September 28, 2016. My insurance required me to do a six month pre-op diet program. I began that in March 2016. I lost 99 pounds (from 397 to 298) during the six months leading up to surgery day following a Keto way of eating. I have continued that keto diet post-op (even during the food stages), and I have lost an additional 105 pounds, for a 204 pound loss total. I weigh 193 right now, and I am 13 pounds from my goal of 180 at approximately 9 months post-op.
I'll echo what some of the others have said -- the surgery (regardless of which one you choose) is only a tool and will only do so much for you. You have to have the grit, drive, and perseverance inside of you to win the mental game which is the really tough part post-op. There are ways to eat around any of the surgeries, and you have to get your mind in the right place to do what you need to do at all times. That is what brings success long-term. These forums are full of people who were mentally unprepared, never changed their relationship with food, and either never reached their goal or gained most of their weight back. Also, the journey is slow and arduous, full of stalls and plateaus, and requires patience and keeping the big picture in mind at all times.
Good luck as you make your decision! Any of the surgeries can be life changing if you put in the hard work necessary.

Do you exercise as well?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using BariatricPal mobile app

3 hours ago, skyewolfe said:

I see many of you talk about how little you ate after the surgery. What kind of restriction can I expect?

Here's a pearl of wisdom that's not well-known: not everyone with a sleeve has the same stomach size or identical restriction. Each bariatric surgeon has his/her unique operating technique.

Surgeons generally use a bougie to shape the sleeve during the procedure. These bougies range from size 32F (smallest) to 40F (larger), though the difference in size between a 32F and a 40F is only a couple of centimeters. A 32F is about the width of a pencil and a 40F is about the width of a chunky permanent marker.

Most American surgeons use a 36F to 40F in surgery, whereas surgeons in Mexico favor the 32F to 36F bougie size. Also, bougie size is not the only factor that determines sleeve size. For instance, my surgeon does either a 'loose' or 'tight' wrap of the remaining stomach around the bougie depending on how surgery is going.

A while back, a woman who was sleeved with a 38F blamed her larger sleeve size on her inability to lose weight, yet I was sleeved with a 40F bougie and lost all my excess weight. I have far less restriction than most sleevers, but it's all good.

Moreover, your restriction will lessen over time. This is natural and normal. Some people panic because they assumed their sleeves would remain tiny enough get full off only a few bites of food forever. This is not the case. By a year out, you'll be able to consume substantially more food, so good choices are imperative.

I haven't had the surgery yet, though I'm slated to have the sleeve on August 28 (tentatively). I'd suggest reading widely on this site--there's a ton of information available if you look around. For example, there are threads in which people put their menus, so you know exactly what people are eating after the surgery. One thing is clear--there's a wide variety of approaches down the line. Some people eventually add back in carbs, some continue to avoid them.

I started on this site by looking at the before/after pictures that people have posted--very inspirational!

The one thing I've read over and over again is this: "It's the best decision I ever made. I wish I'd done it sooner." It's pretty hard to discount that kind of statement from thousands of people!

I chose the sleeve bc it was less invasive than bypass and my surgeon doesn't do the band dt too many complications with them. My surgery was on 5/31. I can finally say I'm feeling pretty good. I didn't have surgical pain, but I had gas pain for a week. I feel pretty good now though. I am kinda getting used to taking a few bites and being full, what I do is chew well and inn both sides of my mouth so that I can savor the few bites I can have. Because I usually want more but can't. I am currently on soft foods. When I go for my 6 wk appt they said they want to try to transition me off of Protein Shakes but I'm not sure if I'll be ready. I am not able to comfortably eat chicken or meats and I don't eat fish or sea food. I feel like I'm transitioning a little slower than they expected me to but I don't care because I know how my body feels and I'm taking my Vitamins and trying to get the Protein and fluids in. I'm happy I had the surgery. I feel better each week that goes by now. I'm looking forward to going back to work in a few weeks but do worry about drinking enough while I'm there. I already hinted to my manager that I was planning on carrying a small water bottle in my pocket to sip on while there. Anyway, I get sidetracked easily. I'm off my arthritis medicine. My ortho doc gave me a nerve block in my knee the day before surgery so if be able to walk post op pain free and it was amazing and I'm getting a series of gel injections to that knee here in another week on to of the weight I've lost I'm gonna feel like a new woman.

HW: 280
SW: 231
CW: 203
GW: 140
Sleeved 5/31/17