Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wanting to talk with someone that's had this done

I can't speak for everyone else but me and my crew have evacuated Florida due to IRMA.

It has been awfully quiet lately. Where did everyone go? It would be nice to hear how things are going. My first appointments with the pros before the procedure are this week and I'd like to be able to ask questions based on what has been posted. Thanks.:mellow:

I'd love to hear updates too! I'm 16 days out from my procedure- getting really excited AND nervous!!

Hi all,
This is one of the best decision I made in a while, Iam 48 years old, 5" 1" was 190 one week ago.
I came across Dr. Sharaiha's clip loved the idea.
I had an appointment on June 13, then a follow up with a nutritionist the next day. They had available July 7 so I booked it.
My Insurance doesn't cover this procedure, therefore I didn't have to go through the waiting period and psych consultation. The doctor and the hospital offer a payment plan, that was helpful. I wouldn't take a chance and do it in Mexico or somewhere else.
One week before the procedure I went back for all the blood work. The day before the procedure I had to be on the clear liquid diet, Nexxium and an anti-nausea patch.
My surgery was scheduled for 9 am, I was in the hospital at 8, back home at 2 Pm. No nausea no vomiting, the only issue was gas pain that got better by walking . I also had some pain in my throat from the tubes, gone by Sunday. Monday went back to work (desk job).
The post op diet is Clear liquid for 2 days, then full Liquid for the end of the 2 weeks than gradually adding soft solids,solids up to week 6 you have to follow the program.
I don't feel hungry and get full very fast. I lost as of this morning 11 lbs!! I sip Vitamin Water between the shakes and Soups in order not to get dehydrated. Took antibiotics for 3 days for prevention, Nexxium for 2 weeks and if needed Miralax for stool softener. Also take chewable and liquid vitamins. I do feel a little weak due to rapid weigh loss , so I take a nap when I come back from work.
Besides my son that had the lap band a while ago, I know a few other people that did gastric sleeve as well as the lap band. A friend had the Gastric sleeve he was very sick for weeks, missed a month of work. I believe this procedure may not be as efficient as the sleeve for people that are morbid-obese but for the low BMI'ers it is the best option with the least risks. It is also reversible if needed.
I did speak to a person that did it over 3 years ago, she lost 60 lbs but gained back 10. Still good numbers for me. She started at 220 , 5' 5". You can still eat chocolate and ice cream comfortably, so you always have to do the right choices, but right know I have no cravings and no hunger whatsoever!

EW can you give us an update of how things are going now? Still smooth sailing with no hiccups?

Had endo sleeve 10 days ago.
After talking to the doc he told me that the stomach can become big if the stitches got worn with time (which should take years for it to happen)
Otherwise it should be good.
I'm currently in my purée phase. The diet that I go through is exactly like VSG patients.
Happy to answer questions.

Ksuda how is everything going? You're over 4 weeks out now? Can you give us an update? Thank you!

10 hours ago, Belle3endosleeve said:

EW can you give us an update of how things are going now? Still smooth sailing with no hiccups?

Hi all

Yes smooth sailing as far as weigh loss, average of 6 lbs a month (besides the first week loss) , no exercise as of now. Only issues I have is with Constipation.

I weigh myself everyday, and I just realized how my weight fluctuates according to my cycle, to be exact twice a month.

I get full after small quantities of food, but eat often. Lost a total of 22 lbs in 2.5 months.

Hello, this blog is really inspiring! Im considering having ESG - live in nz and theres only one surgeon doing this procedure. I had lapband surgery (self paid) about 5 years ago and then it was removed last year due to a slippage. Pretty terrible state as could not even take down Water in the end. - went to 65kg but was miserable as cudnt eat or drink anything - and had severe GERD. After i thought i could maintain weightloss but sadly have gained back a lot of weight. Now at 109 kgs im looking at private surgery again! This time round optin to tell few and bit nervous bout the change of relationship with food - but this way is so dam hard i know even if i loose weight it will be hard to sustain without help - that is the ESG. This site is refreshin cause very few have had this procdure done in nz., therefore fee supports. Im nervous too about the procedure even if it is non surgical, but need to make decision within next few days as time is rolling on. Its about $19,000 in nz. Its good to hear that others are eating relatively normal food after ESG and i worry about craving foods & the procedure, coming to pain etc - feels scarey right now. Anyhow will keep reading posts as very helpful. 🤗 Chriz

Hello, We have a group on Facebook, consisting of many who have had it done, and even more waiting, also we have members representing surgical speciality that can direct you on any info you would like.

I myself had the procedure on 8-18-17, I am in my 5th week, Just to clarify, they do not use staples, it is sutures. They actually started doing this procedure at mayo clinic in Florida 2012. I believe even before that outside the USA.

Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty Support Group USA- You are all welcome to join us :)

Kerrie

Hi there Kerie, and thank you for responding to mypost. I would love to join your group in the USA, how do I do that? I am scedualed for surgery on 12 Oct in Auckland (NZ). As this procedure is very new in NZ, I would love to connect with others who have had it done. Kerie your progress sounds excellent so far. Did you have any pain or fears prior to going in and is this your first procedure? Would love to hear more about your journey. Chriz

Thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer in depth all the answers to my questions!! I am ready to pick up the phone for that consult but so hesitant! I have 70 lbs to loose, so the dr would probably tell me that I can expect to loose 35 in the first year and then the procedure becomes slightly less effective for the 2nd half of the weight loss? I guess that is my hangup over just having the regular sleeve since that is more permanent and would be the same out of pocket cost for me since I am self pay. You are really awesome for taking the time to help! I do have one additional question (sorry) regarding your current situation with food. You didn't mention if you have kids but I have 3 kids in the house that I would like to try and keep this from if I can. But we go out to eat often (sports and running around), I would not be home for most nights during dinner because of being right at the beginning of the cross country sport season (which ends up being a lot of walking for me) and trying to explain my non eating at Thanksgiving would be a huge give away to extended family. Are you just homebound at this point until you are done with the puree phase or would you be able to fake your way through a meal at a restaurant?

Hi BigSuzy1969,

Just to answer a couple of questions. I have about the same amount of weight to lose and have lost 22lbs so far (3.5 weeks since procedure). I hope to lose majority of the weight in 6-12 months. My surgeon expects I can lose most of my excess weight within the year, a total of 20-25% of my total body weight which his patients typically do. This is about 55lbs for me.

I Have 3 kids who don't know that I have had the procedure - they haven't even noticed that I am not eating the same meals which is amazing as they are all teenagers. I just keep busy while they eat and talk to them at the dinner table while I clean up the kitchen and sit down with a bowl of Soup and say I am eating extra healthy. The way I have faked a restaurant meal is to order soup and now that I am up to purée- soft food, order a small Pasta and slowly eat a few mouthfuls and tell the family it's delicious and that they have to try some. The dish is then at least half gone and I take the rest home and my husband takes it for lunch the next day. Remember - the liquid diet does end so before long and you can order a small proper meal. My plan moving forward is to order a small Protein meal or a share plate with the hubs and just eat what I can.

In short - it's all doable. I self funded too - it's a lot of money so you have to be confident in your decision.

Feel free to ask any questions you have.

Mel

On 9/13/2017 at 7:17 AM, Belle3endosleeve said:

Ksuda how is everything going? You're over 4 weeks out now? Can you give us an update? Thank you!

Hi Belle3endosleeve. Sorry for the late reply.

Feeling pretty good. Lost around 26 pounds (31% BMI) I should be losing more. I did not follow certain diet (I just eat small quantities) I think that’s why i’m losing slow.

Sometimes I over eat and it really feels bad when I do so. That one extra bite might ruin your day.

Edited by ksuda

Losing slowly is ideal for our bodies...maybe not so much for our minds but research shows slow weight loss can be permanent!! I am pretty strict with what I eat. It does make me feel so much better. I however do have some food sensitivities or allergy which helps keep me focused. I suffered on multiple fronts if I veer!