Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wanting to talk with someone that's had this done

2 hours ago, Bigsuzy1969 said:

Thank you so much for taking the time to share! Can I ask if any pain medications were prescribed and if you needed them. I am self pay otherwise I would opt for sleeve option and I think (am assuming) it is more expensive because of an overnight or two. My concerns are the fact that it is new but will discuss with the dr. The liquid/puree phase is longer than I thought, I may have problems explaining to those I don't want to know about it why I am not eating during that phase while at a restaurant ect. (like my kids) Keeping it a secret may not be easy. I don't see where you mentioned you were very hungry on the liquid phase as some have mentioned. Was that not an issue for you? Again, thanks for taking the time!

liquid paid medication was prescribed, i took once the first night before I went to sleep, just in case but I didn't have pain. I had gas cramps once or twice during the night, just getting out of bed and stretching was enough. The first two weeks is it the time the stomach has to heal, I couldn't or was just afraid to drink too much. I wasn't hungry but I had to sip often. I did wake up in middle of the night with a stomach discomfort that that may have been hunger pain I just had a sip of Ready to drink Plant fusion and the discomfort was gone. Nausea medication, stool softener, Nexxium and antibiotics for 3 days was also prescribed. I left the nausea patch for 72 hours after surgery just in case.

Ask you doctor about the diet phases. Each doctor has different protocols, and even my nutritionist changed it around, depending how you feel. I did tell my 10 year I am on a diet. And when people ask me how I am loosing weight I tell them "I am doing the shakes" . If someone friendly/family really needs to loose weight I tell them what I did.

Edited by EW11211

1 hour ago, Bigsuzy1969 said:

I have a neighbor who had the sleeve and she is underweight in my opinion. She did not tell many people and I think they are wondering if she is sick

I know such people too, with low BMI, they run to Mexico because a reputable doctor wouldn't sleeve such patients. My son (BMI just over 40) had the lap band 3 years ago, the doctor wouldn't do the sleeve. You look sick because there may be an issue of Vitamins deficiency, if you don't take supplements.

This isn't a method I would have chosen, but I'm very happy to see you're doing well @EW11211.

If I may ask, the comment you made about not feeling the ill effects of overeating, how do you actually feel?

30 minutes ago, heycrystal2052 said:

This isn't a method I would have chosen, but I'm very happy to see you're doing well @EW11211.

If I may ask, the comment you made about not feeling the ill effects of overeating, how do you actually feel?

Congratulation on your weight lost, you are an inspiration. This procedure is recommended for BMI between 35 and 40. My starting weight was 5 lbs above you goal weight.

I feel very good in general, I don't feel ill when I overeat, no vomiting and no nausea, just a very full feeling, uncomfortable feeling, like when you use to drink 2 cups of seltzer after a meal (before surgery). I weigh or portion my food before I eat in order to avoid it, I once ate cottage cheese from the container while browsing online and suddenly realize I ate half of eat. (8 oz). That is part of my problem. Eating without thinking.

6 minutes ago, EW11211 said:

Congratulation on your weight lost, you are an inspiration. This procedure is recommended for BMI between 35 and 40. My starting weight was 5 lbs above you goal weight.

I feel very good in general, I don't feel ill when I overeat, no vomiting and no nausea, just a very full feeling, uncomfortable feeling, like when you use to drink 2 cups of seltzer after a meal (before surgery). I weigh or portion my food before I eat in order to avoid it, I once ate cottage cheese from the container while browsing online and suddenly realize I ate half of eat. (8 oz). That is part of my problem. Eating without thinking.

So, that would be a huge difference between Sleeved vs. what you decided to have? For me, if I eat a bit too fast and it was actually too much (seldom to happen, but it has), I either have to throw up or lay down until the feeling passes. You never run into that issue?

Also, thank you for the compliment, I really appreciate it. I'm very determined and focused, I never want to go back to where I was. I started out w/ a BMI of almost 70 O.o How was that possible? No, more!

Seldom, but it happened, no throwing up, I can't decide if laying it out or walking around, what helps faster. It happens after Protein solids like chicken, cottage cheese. Interestingly that with meat I didn't experienced it , maybe because it is higher in fat.

I have a family member that did the lap band 10 years ago. She is a success story I always use to joke with her that "middle class" always suffers. Finally there is a procedure for the "middle class".

3 hours ago, EW11211 said:

Seldom, but it happened, no throwing up, I can't decide if laying it out or walking around, what helps faster. It happens after Protein solids like chicken, cottage cheese. Interestingly that with meat I didn't experienced it , maybe because it is higher in fat.

I have a family member that did the lap band 10 years ago. She is a success story I always use to joke with her that "middle class" always suffers. Finally there is a procedure for the "middle class".

That is very interesting, I wonder why you don't feel what the Sleevers are known to feel. Things that make you go, hmmmm..lol

On 8/20/2017 at 5:30 PM, Speedmommy said:

He has seen me do Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers, lose a significant amount of weight and then put it all back on, plus more. Since the procedure is not covered by my insurance, it means that I have to pay out of pocket and my husband feels it's a waste of money. I really hope this is the solution to my yo-yo weight problems. I want to lose 50 pounds and keep them off. I'm hoping the follow-up from Hopkins helps me learn how to eat, exercise and keep the weight off. I want to prove to myself and my husband that I can do this.

Judy

Hi Judy! I'm in the same boat that you're in. I've done it all and I've yo-yo'd forever. I'm hoping that this is the tool to help me. Learning to eat correctly and exercise are key as well all know, but the motivation always fades. I too want to prove that I can keep the weight off for myself. I hope you husband comes around and gives you the support you need!

I had robot assisted VSG. So I have staples and stitches. Dr uses stitches after staples to lessen the chance of leakage. Really had no pain to speak of but was pretty sore.

Edited by Fatgirl56

Had endo sleeve 10 days ago.
After talking to the doc he told me that the stomach can become big if the stitches got worn with time (which should take years for it to happen)
Otherwise it should be good.
I'm currently in my purée phase. The diet that I go through is exactly like VSG patients.
Happy to answer questions.

Hi anything interesting or noteworthy to mention? Unexpected issues that occurred? Most challenging aspect? Most unexpected positive impact? Are you sharing with everyone in your life? How much have you lost now? My ESG I scheduled for September 28th! I'm 5'61/2 & 192 BMI 30/31. Married 43 with 3 kiddos. Love to hear from you!! Thanks!!!

Can anyone share info on the weight loss results achieved after endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty? Also, did you experience any pain after the procedure? Please talk us through what the procedure was like for you and what your weight loss journey has been like since the procedure.

And, for those who shared that their insurance paid for the procedure, which insurance provider covers ESG and how long did insurance approval take? Thank you.

On 8/26/2017 at 5:28 PM, Belle3endosleeve said:

Hi anything interesting or noteworthy to mention? Unexpected issues that occurred? Most challenging aspect? Most unexpected positive impact? Are you sharing with everyone in your life? How much have you lost now? My ESG I scheduled for September 28th! I'm 5'61/2 & 192 BMI 30/31. Married 43 with 3 kiddos. Love to hear from you!! Thanks!!!

I would have the same questions as well! It seems that since I am self pay that the procedures of Endoscopic Sleeve and the regular sleeve is about the same. My concerns are that it is a new procedure with limited conclusions after 2 years while the regular sleeve has a slightly higher proven track record. If a portion of the stomach is removed, it cant stretch and break the stitches. And the weight loss seems lower than regular. Please share !

(Same reply posted to another thread under this topic)

Hello.

I had this procedure last Friday 8/25. I am 34 years old, BMI of 42. The procedure was self pay ($16,000) with possibility of insurance covering a portion, but I will not know if I get reimbursed for anything until after the hospital submits the claim.

The first day was hard, mostly nausea (so, so much nausea), and being tired. I slept most of the first 2 days. After 2 days there wasn't much pain, nausea went away after the third or fourth day. The biggest challenge is getting enough fluids - I'm not doing so great with that, as even the though of swallowing anything is unappealing. I'm not hungry, the smell and sight of most food is off putting.

Today (day 5) is the most I've eaten (1 package of baby food peas).

I haven't told anyone about the procedure (except my SO and my parents) - for years my mother has pushed weight loss surgery and I've resisted, my friends know this and I feel like they'd be disappointed that I caved (or took the "way way" out). My fiancé is very supportive, but there's not much he can do at the moment, other than drive me around when I didn't feel up to it.

I'm sure it's to do with the lack of hydration, lack of viatamins, fatigue and stress - but the last two days have been very low emotionally, I feel sad and just want to sleep. I have been going to work everyday for a bit, then finishing the day "working from home." As ever tried drinking different things (broth, green tea, pudding) I've had diarrhea after almost everything.

I was on Clear Liquids for day 1, full liquids day 2-3 and puréed diet for weeks 1-4 before reintroducing foods. Soups and smoothies are okay, as long as there are no bits of veggies or fruits (they have to be completely puréed).

I haven't weighed myself so I don't know that I've lost anything, but I feel that my shirts feel a bit looser, so I'm guessing I've lost some Water weight.

Oh my! I felt so tired, weak and nauseous the whole first week....it'll get better. Sometimes a walk helps with the mood. Fresh air works wonders. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

7 hours ago, SydSyd said:

(Same reply posted to another thread under this topic)

Hello.

I had this procedure last Friday 8/25. I am 34 years old, BMI of 42. The procedure was self pay ($16,000) with possibility of insurance covering a portion, but I will not know if I get reimbursed for anything until after the hospital submits the claim.

The first day was hard, mostly nausea (so, so much nausea), and being tired. I slept most of the first 2 days. After 2 days there wasn't much pain, nausea went away after the third or fourth day. The biggest challenge is getting enough fluids - I'm not doing so great with that, as even the though of swallowing anything is unappealing. I'm not hungry, the smell and sight of most food is off putting.

Today (day 5) is the most I've eaten (1 package of baby food peas).

I haven't told anyone about the procedure (except my SO and my parents) - for years my mother has pushed weight loss surgery and I've resisted, my friends know this and I feel like they'd be disappointed that I caved (or took the "way way" out). My fiancé is very supportive, but there's not much he can do at the moment, other than drive me around when I didn't feel up to it.

I'm sure it's to do with the lack of hydration, lack of viatamins, fatigue and stress - but the last two days have been very low emotionally, I feel sad and just want to sleep. I have been going to work everyday for a bit, then finishing the day "working from home." As ever tried drinking different things (broth, green tea, pudding) I've had diarrhea after almost everything.

I was on Clear Liquids for day 1, full liquids day 2-3 and puréed diet for weeks 1-4 before reintroducing foods. Soups and smoothies are okay, as long as there are no bits of veggies or fruits (they have to be completely puréed).

I haven't weighed myself so I don't know that I've lost anything, but I feel that my shirts feel a bit looser, so I'm guessing I've lost some Water weight.

Can I ask if you got this done at Hopkins? If so, did you feel that were well taken care of? Where there any medical students performing the surgery, because they only have done 50 or so.