Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wanting to talk with someone that's had this done

I had the ESG, taking in consideration my low BMI, and safety of the procedure, no loss of work. It is not even called a surgery. The weight loss is not as radical as the traditional sleeve. It is geared for patients who would like to lose 40-60 lbs. My surgeon estimated I will lose between 20 and 25 % of my body weight. I will be very happy with a size 8, and most importantly, keep the weight down. I lost 8% of my body weight the first month. I feel great no side effects, I can eat everything in small quantities and slowly, specially meat and Protein. As with any Bariatric surgery, you still have to control what you eat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

5 minutes ago, EW11211 said:

I had the ESG, taking in consideration my low BMI, and safety of the procedure, no loss of work. It is not even called a surgery. The weight loss is not as radical as the traditional sleeve. It is geared for patients who would like to lose 40-60 lbs. My surgeon estimated I will lose between 20 and 25 % of my body weight. I will be very happy with a size 8, and most importantly, keep the weight down. I lost 8% of my body weight the first month. I feel great no side effects, I can eat everything in small quantities and slowly, specially meat and Protein. As with any Bariatric surgery, you still have to control what you eat.

Thank you for sharing! Is there anything looking back now on it that is making you wish you had the LSG or Verticle Sleeve? Did the dr tell you that your weight loss would be greater with the Gastric Sleeve vs the ESG. I am looking at the ESG mainly because I have to self pay it it would be less money and less recovery time. What are you giving up in weight loss by choosing this procedure? Thanks for taking the time!

The question is what is your BMI and what is your goal. If I would have to/want to loose 100 lbs I would choose the VSG. My ultimate goal is to loose up to 40-50 lbs total (BMI 25-28). My BMI was 35, although I have family history of diabetes cholesterol and heart diseases, I wouldn't get insurance coverage for any surgery, because I am healthy. My goal is to avoid all health issues before they come up. My cholesterol was borderline before the procedure. At my age, 50 years old, I don't want to look like a dried out raisin.

25 minutes ago, EW11211 said:

The question is what is your BMI and what is your goal. If I would have to/want to loose 100 lbs I would choose the VSG. My ultimate goal is to loose up to 40-50 lbs total (BMI 25-28). My BMI was 35, although I have family history of diabetes cholesterol and heart diseases, I wouldn't get insurance coverage for any surgery, because I am healthy. My goal is to avoid all health issues before they come up. My cholesterol was borderline before the procedure. At my age, 50 years old, I don't want to look like a dried out raisin.

I am 5.4 female who weights 220. My BMI is 37 and I would like to loose 80 lbs. Do you think I would be a good candidate for ESG?

Even with the VSG, weight loss is slower with low BMI
https://www.bariatricpal.com/index.php?/topic/399645-Gastric-Sleeve---BMI-31
When I was debating what to do these are the points that helped me decide:
* I have a family that I am responsible for, 10% risk vs 1% is too high for me
* I am doing for health reasons I will be happy with a size 8-10. I don't want to be a size 4
* I didn't want to be off from work for for 4-6 weeks
* people loose a lot of weight with VSG, sometimes too much. I know of a person that did it for 40 lbs. He looks sick.
* even if I have to do a revision to the ESG, that I understood it is possible if needed after a couple of years, I would do it again instead of doing the VSG.

I'm very hopeful. I'm glad to hear from so many people who have either gone through with the procedure or are considering the procedure and are happy with their decision. I have seen many people have the bariatric surgery, lose a significant amount of weight and then slowly put the weight back on. It is very frustrating to find what one thinks is the answer to getting a healthy weight and then see the fat return. I know it is not a panacea. I'm still going to have to watch what I eat and to get more exercise, but I'm hoping that the feeling of being full will help with my resolve.

22 hours ago, EW11211 said:

EW, could you please share how things went during and after surgery. I was wondering a few things about ESG and wanted to get the stupid questions out of the way before I meet the surgeon. When you say 20 to 25 percent of your body weight, for me that wouldn't get me to within 20 lbs of my goal. Does the surgeon think that you can just lose more if you stick with the plan or is it just not possible? Do you know how they can know this is safe long term ? Does this procedure preserve pylorus? What did they say about stomach stretching, what happens with a leak? is that less or more common with the staples? Could you tell me about your pre and post diet and is it different from VSG? Are you able to eat solids more quickly or the same? and was there a pre op? I am so sorry, and please don't feel you need to write a book and answer every question but you recently had the surgery done and very interested in your journey. I also wanted to know the best time to schedule the surgery. I have a son who is star footback quarterback and cannot miss a game and will drive and walk a 1/2 mile. Were you able to get in a car and drive and walk around? How many days should I leave for being at home where I just wont feel good. And how are YOU feeling? Again I apologize for all the questions

Hi,

I did the procedure on a Friday 9AM by afternoon I was home. My husband drove me back. That afternoon I took a nap. Saturday I went for a walk around the block. Monday I was back at work, I have a desk job. Some days I took a nap when I came home, I did feel a little tired maybe due to the low calorie consumption.

The day after the procedure I had a little pain in my neck muscles from the endoscopy, Gas pain for another 2 days that faded with walking.

The diet is similar to the sleeve but the stages are much shorter. One day liquid diet before the procedure. 2 days clear liquid after the procedure, then full liquids (shakes) for 2 weeks. Week 3 is pureed Protein, Week 4-5 add soft vegetables and some fruit and week 6 add some carbs (optional)

I do follow up with a nutritionist, by appointment or phone call.

This procedure is not as restrictive as the sleeve that is why the expectation is less weight loss than the sleeve. But it depends on your starting BMI . I believe age can be a factor too. I hardly exercise so maybe that is why they predicted this low percentage. The surgeon should give you a better prediction.

There is a 1% risk of complication in this procedure comparing to over 10% with the sleeve. There is no cutting so I don't think leakage comes into play.

I am over 6 week post procedure and I feel great. I lost 18lbs and I feel very energetic. I don't have issues with any food. Just chicken I have to eat slower. No nausea no vomiting no gerd, no stitches. I log my food and my weight on a daily basis, I am on around 1000 calories per day (the goal for me is 1150) . I try to take Vitamins on a daily basis. I am constipated, but I was before the procedure,(I take Iron pills) Besides feeling uncomfortable if I overeat, I don't feel anything.

Why not just go with a proven method such as the Sleeve where they do it and remove 75% of the stomach? I would do a ton of research and info gathering before you have a procedure without good results, just my opinion

There is no proven method. I personally know people that were very successful with the lap band and others that regained. The same with the sleeve. A neighbor across the street lost 100+ lbs and regained 30. She herself told me. I can eat very small quantities of chocolate" Ultimately WLS is only a tool, I chose the tool that is right to me. For me the sleeve is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Good point, whatever works for a person is definitely the best choice. Whatever you decide, good luck to you and your journey.

9 hours ago, EW11211 said:

Hi,

I did the procedure on a Friday 9AM by afternoon I was home. My husband drove me back. That afternoon I took a nap. Saturday I went for a walk around the block. Monday I was back at work, I have a desk job. Some days I took a nap when I came home, I did feel a little tired maybe due to the low calorie consumption.

The day after the procedure I had a little pain in my neck muscles from the endoscopy, Gas pain for another 2 days that faded with walking.

The diet is similar to the sleeve but the stages are much shorter. One day liquid diet before the procedure. 2 days clear liquid after the procedure, then full liquids (shakes) for 2 weeks. Week 3 is pureed Protein, Week 4-5 add soft vegetables and some fruit and week 6 add some carbs (optional)

I do follow up with a nutritionist, by appointment or phone call.

This procedure is not as restrictive as the sleeve that is why the expectation is less weight loss than the sleeve. But it depends on your starting BMI . I believe age can be a factor too. I hardly exercise so maybe that is why they predicted this low percentage. The surgeon should give you a better prediction.

There is a 1% risk of complication in this procedure comparing to over 10% with the sleeve. There is no cutting so I don't think leakage comes into play.

I am over 6 week post procedure and I feel great. I lost 18lbs and I feel very energetic. I don't have issues with any food. Just chicken I have to eat slower. No nausea no vomiting no gerd, no stitches. I log my food and my weight on a daily basis, I am on around 1000 calories per day (the goal for me is 1150) . I try to take Vitamins on a daily basis. I am constipated, but I was before the procedure,(I take Iron pills) Besides feeling uncomfortable if I overeat, I don't feel anything.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share! Can I ask if any pain medications were prescribed and if you needed them. I am self pay otherwise I would opt for sleeve option and I think (am assuming) it is more expensive because of an overnight or two. My concerns are the fact that it is new but will discuss with the dr. The liquid/puree phase is longer than I thought, I may have problems explaining to those I don't want to know about it why I am not eating during that phase while at a restaurant ect. (like my kids) Keeping it a secret may not be easy. I don't see where you mentioned you were very hungry on the liquid phase as some have mentioned. Was that not an issue for you? Again, thanks for taking the time!

1 hour ago, RSM said:

Why not just go with a proven method such as the Sleeve where they do it and remove 75% of the stomach? I would do a ton of research and info gathering before you have a procedure without good results, just my opinion

My reason is the money issue since I am self pay

4 minutes ago, EW11211 said:

There is no proven method. I personally know people that were very successful with the lap band and others that regained. The same with the sleeve. A neighbor across the street lost 100+ lbs and regained 30. She herself told me. I can eat very small quantities of chocolate" Ultimately WLS is only a tool, I chose the tool that is right to me. For me the sleeve is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

I have a neighbor who had the sleeve and she is underweight in my opinion. She did not tell many people and I think they are wondering if she is sick

32 minutes ago, Bigsuzy1969 said:

My reason is the money issue since I am self pay

That makes a difference I can understand. Much good luck to you.