Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wanting to talk with someone that's had this done

@Zaa I had a face-to-face consultation with my doctor at UCI and the stitches are never removed and ultimately end of healing together so procedure is not reversaable unless it is done shortly after conducted. It is meant to be a permanent change to your stomach pouch. You can stretch it similar to other Bariatric surgeries.

Has anyone who's had the procedure had trouble with no longer being able to gulp Water? I love gulping water after a run or when I've gone without for a while and am nervous about that. Anything else to report? Can you share the Top 5 greatest aspects to getting the procedure and top 5 most challenging aspects?

Thanks so much!!

It is 6 weeks from my procedure. I can gulp Water without restriction, a good 12 oz +. This procedure risks, complication and recovery are not to compare to others. I did the procedure on Friday, Monday I was back at work, no nausea, vomiting. The challenges are the same, Portion Control and follow the diet program. The only drawback maybe a slower weight loss, that may be due to a lower starting BMI. By now I can eat everything in smaller portions. And that is my goal. I don't crave for sweets either (so far...)

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

That's awesome EW!! I'm looking forward to keeping in contact with you during my journey - 22 more days until my procedure!!

I'm a gulper too, so I'm glad that Belle asked that! Good to know!

I do have a quick question - im on hormones and other (pill form) meds - will I be allowed to take these the day after the procedure?

Kiki
Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty
Procedure day: 9/8/17

Ask the doctor, there is always a chance of getting blood clots after regular surgery, but it may be not the case with ESG. I have a history of clots, so I am off hormones for life.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

Congratulations on getting your insurance company to pay for your procedure. I was wondering if you had to do anything to get the insurance company to approve the coverage. I'm scheduled for the procedure at Johns Hopkins Bayview on Sept. 29th and my insurance company, Aetna, won't cover it. They'll cover the more expensive surgery, which I don't qualify for, but not ESG. Thank you for whatever help you can offer. Judy

My gastroenteritis office called and Pre-certed everything. I'm type II diabetic (on insulin) with high cholesterol and PCOS w/ complete hysterectomy at 27 yo (13 yrs ago), now on HRT. This is an unlisted CPT procedure code of 43999, so a lot of ins. companies don't understand what it is since there's not a code for it because it is so new. If you can find covered indications it helps a lot!! My BMI is 34, so technically I almost could've had the open procedures, but love the idea of less invasive and quicker healing time with ESG!
I'm having mine at U of Chicago and the cost is (all-inclusive) $10K. Good luck! Let's all keep in touch!!

Kiki
Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty
Procedure day: 9/8/17

Initially I was not going to tell anyone, but then my husband ( who is not supporting the ESG procedure) started telling people. So I decided that I'm not embarrassed by my choice to have the ESG procedure. If I'm asked what I'm doing to lose weight, I'll tell the truth, but I'm also not going to spread it around. It's my business and no one else's.

Judy

ESG Procedure Date 9/29

Initially I was not going to tell anyone, but then my husband ( who is not supporting the ESG procedure) started telling people. So I decided that I'm not embarrassed by my choice to have the ESG procedure. If I'm asked what I'm doing to lose weight, I'll tell the truth, but I'm also not going to spread it around. It's my business and no one else's.

Judy
ESG Procedure Date 9/29

Oh no why isn't your husband supporting the procedure? That must be hard!

Procedure date Sept 28th

He has seen me do Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers, lose a significant amount of weight and then put it all back on, plus more. Since the procedure is not covered by my insurance, it means that I have to pay out of pocket and my husband feels it's a waste of money. I really hope this is the solution to my yo-yo weight problems. I want to lose 50 pounds and keep them off. I'm hoping the follow-up from Hopkins helps me learn how to eat, exercise and keep the weight off. I want to prove to myself and my husband that I can do this.

Judy

He has seen me do Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers, lose a significant amount of weight and then put it all back on, plus more. Since the procedure is not covered by my insurance, it means that I have to pay out of pocket and my husband feels it's a waste of money. I really hope this is the solution to my yo-yo weight problems. I want to lose 50 pounds and keep them off. I'm hoping the follow-up from Hopkins helps me learn how to eat, exercise and keep the weight off. I want to prove to myself and my husband that I can do this.

Judy

When is your procedure scheduled? Where is it scheduled and where do you live? I have an incredibly great feeling about what this will do - I think you're still able to make food mistakes but it gives you a powerful tool to support your new lifestyle. I'm so excited to have discovered this thread!!

On 8/8/2017 at 3:08 PM, Zaa said:

Hi ksuda and EW11211

I had a phone consult with the physician at Johns Hopkins and he told me that the stitches come out (on their own) after about 12-months or so. I would definitely double check with your surgeons. Please let me know if they say otherwise. Where did you have the procedure done?

How are you both feeling?

I'm still debating between the VSG end the endo procedure, though now that I know the stomach doesn't stay stitched up forever I am leaning toward VSG.

Did you ever have this procedure done? Was wondering if the stitches dissolve after 12 months and the stomach will go back to its original size?