Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wanting to talk with someone that's had this done

I've recently scheduled a consultation to discuss this procedure and possibly have it done. Basically since it's non-surgical, the Nurse said that there's no pre-op things that need to be done. Basically at my consultation I can schedule surgery right away.

I'm unable to find very much info online regarding this procedure. I've watched YouTube videos and have seen info on the news about it, but want to speak to a live person that has had this done.

Any information will be helpful!

Thanks!

Kiki

5 hours ago, KikiSue🙋🏼 said:

I've recently scheduled a consultation to discuss this procedure and possibly have it done. Basically since it's non-surgical, the Nurse said that there's no pre-op things that need to be done. Basically at my consultation I can schedule surgery right away.

I'm unable to find very much info online regarding this procedure. I've watched YouTube videos and have seen info on the news about it, but want to speak to a live person that has had this done.

Any information will be helpful!

Thanks!

Kiki

What procedure are you referring to?

This is a pretty new procedure (endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty), I'll be interested to know if anyone has had it.

Personally I wouldn't choose it. Too new, and I can picture oh so many things going wrong (not necessarily during the procedure, but after... trying to live forever with stitches inside trying to hold a moving, stretching muscle together).

Okay this is the sleeve procedure in which they just staple the stomach from the inside and they do not remove that portion routinely taken in the surgical sleeve surgery. The pros for this less invasive and less recovery time but the cons to this, the staples are inside your stomach and there is little research on the long term outcomes.

Hmmm? If so, it's very new and you should be careful. The VSG is the newest most chosen procedure now and some surgeons are still suggesting the full gastric bypass....

Please contact other bariatric centers for factual information on the procedure before opting to do something so life changing. Best of luck to you. I just got sleeved and I'm feeling really good about my choice. This is not easy no matter what you decide.

Edited by Val Rennee

Schedule for Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty this Friday, in NY.

Hello! I wish you all the success. That's new but I read a lot about it and it is being recommended. Are you ready?

I am looking forward, my BMI is 35 and we have a very strong family history of diabetes and heart disease. I believe this is my best choice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

Good luck EW! Val mentioned that they stapled the inside of your stomach but everything that I've read suggests that it's stitched. Which are you having?

I have my consultation on 7/28. I too have a BMI of 35 and I am type 2 diabetic on insulin and other meds. I have a strong family hx of diabetes and heart conditions. I'm hoping to eliminate all of these and just want to be healthier overall and feel better.

I wish you the best and would love to keep in contact with you during this journey.

The stomach is stitched, no cuts, it is all done through the mouth, endoscopically. The risks are very minimum and what I hear you can go back to work very quickly. I was thinking about the balloon, but it is temporary and people have issues with nausea.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey, I saw "stitched" and the only concern is that there'sno data yet but a much less invasive procedure.

The balloon however is not gotten good reviews, similar to lapband reviews. Nevertheless, best wishes no matter we choose, it's a lifestyle change and it all takes hard work. So get ready for your new life!!! Yayyy!!

How was the procedure? How are you feeling now? Any weight loss? I too am thinking about having it done.

Hi all,

This is one of the best decision I made in a while, Iam 48 years old, 5" 1" was 190 one week ago.

I came across Dr. Sharaiha's clip loved the idea.

I had an appointment on June 13, then a follow up with a nutritionist the next day. They had available July 7 so I booked it.

My Insurance doesn't cover this procedure, therefore I didn't have to go through the waiting period and psych consultation. The doctor and the hospital offer a payment plan, that was helpful. I wouldn't take a chance and do it in Mexico or somewhere else.

One week before the procedure I went back for all the blood work. The day before the procedure I had to be on the clear liquid diet, Nexxium and an anti-nausea patch.

My surgery was scheduled for 9 am, I was in the hospital at 8, back home at 2 Pm. No nausea no vomiting, the only issue was gas pain that got better by walking . I also had some pain in my throat from the tubes, gone by Sunday. Monday went back to work (desk job).

The post op diet is Clear liquid for 2 days, then full Liquid for the end of the 2 weeks than gradually adding soft solids,solids up to week 6 you have to follow the program.

I don't feel hungry and get full very fast. I lost as of this morning 11 lbs!! I sip Vitamin Water between the shakes and Soups in order not to get dehydrated. Took antibiotics for 3 days for prevention, Nexxium for 2 weeks and if needed Miralax for stool softener. Also take chewable and liquid vitamins. I do feel a little weak due to rapid weigh loss , so I take a nap when I come back from work.

Besides my son that had the lap band a while ago, I know a few other people that did gastric sleeve as well as the lap band. A friend had the Gastric sleeve he was very sick for weeks, missed a month of work. I believe this procedure may not be as efficient as the sleeve for people that are morbid-obese but for the low BMI'ers it is the best option with the least risks. It is also reversible if needed.

I did speak to a person that did it over 3 years ago, she lost 60 lbs but gained back 10. Still good numbers for me. She started at 220 , 5' 5". You can still eat chocolate and ice cream comfortably, so you always have to do the right choices, but right know I have no cravings and no hunger whatsoever!

Hi EW- Thank you I really appreciate the positive feedback as I'm very close to pulling the trigger so to speak. My one worry is what happens to the stomach that is stitched up and left behind? Does the stomach grow together where it's stitched? Do the stitches stay in? Fall out? Can the stomach that stays behind cause problems? Let me know if your doctor addressed any of these with you!! I have a consultation on Monday with the surgeon. Thanks!