Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone have a set amount of weight that they had to lose prior to being scheduled for surgery? I have to lose 24lbs. Any tips or pointers that may help me out?

My surgeon wanted me to lose 10 lbs before surgery. My insurance needs me to not have gained any weight since my first consult, but i gained 5 lbs in that first two weeks. So now i have a total of 15 lbs to lose. I've basically been eating as clean as possible and as close to a post surgery diet as my body will allow me.

I have a green smoothie in morning, salad for lunch and a fish based dinner. I'll switch things out as i feel like but for the most part this is my diet. I have one more month left before my last weigh in, prior to insurance approval; my goal is to go very low carb about two weeks before.

I have had temporary success with Keto so I'd recommend trying that.= or at least a low carb diet. Its pretty helpful to get those quick lbs off pre - op. My issue was maintaining the lifestyle but i think once I have the sleeve, the new diet and lifestyle should be low carb friendly. Plus low carb is good for those with diabetes or pre diabetes.

Good Luck!

My surgeon didn't give me a requirement, but since my insurance required a six month pre-op diet program, I decided to lose as much as possible before surgery day. I lost 99 pounds during those six months (from 397 to 298), changed my relationship with food, and set myself up for success post op (I've lost an additional 105 pounds since the surgery day).

I followed a Keto way of eating during those six months, and I have done the same thing post-op (including during the post-op food stages). I don't eat more than 20 carbs per day.

11 minutes ago, blizair09 said:

My surgeon didn't give me a requirement, but since my insurance required a six month pre-op diet program, I decided to lose as much as possible before surgery day. I lost 99 pounds during those six months (from 397 to 298), changed my relationship with food, and set myself up for success post op (I've lost an additional 105 pounds since the surgery day).

I followed a Keto way of eating during those six months, and I have done the same thing post-op (including during the post-op food stages). I don't eat more than 20 carbs per day.

That's what I've noticed with a lot of the bariatric patients that I follow on social media. Keto/ low carb and some version of plant based diets seem to be popular.

I've recently stopped eating most meats ( except fish) and my body seems to prefer this.

Congrats on your weight loss and new life!

My surgeon wants us to lose 5% of our weight in the 6 months before surgery. I've lost half of what I need to lose so far. The dietitian just said eat veggies first , Protein second , carbs last for the pre-op slimdown. I'm honestly having a hard time free wheeling it without ww or some kind of strict plan. I might just go back to my tried and true ww to ensure that I will lose the recommended weight in the time frame. I've lost triple the weight in the same time frame on ww. Of course I gained it back and then some because I got off the wagon and here I am waiting for surgery so obviously ww isn't perfect.

I have 3 months left of the 6 month insurance requirement, cannot gain any weight and surgeon wants you to lose what you can obviously to make surgery go easier. I am doing okay, have lost 9-10 lbs from my PCP weigh-in, but faltered a couple days and ate way too many carbs 2 times, got back on the horse though. I too feel like I am flying w/o a net because of only once a month contact with nutritionist vs WW weekly weigh-in. I usually have better results as well.

I have a vitreous hemorrage in my only eye with vision, it happened 16 days ago and it is clearing 'maybe' 1% a day - but it means I can't drive, not suposed to bend over/down, lift anything over a couple pounds, walking only( no square dancing), rest at 45° incline. I can't see well enough to do my hobbies - sewing, smocking, beading. The hobbies usually keep me from thinking about eating. I have txt set to xlarge so I can type for short periods before eye strain takes over. This bites!!!

I had to lose 5% of my heaviest weight, which was 298 lbs. So I had to lose basically 14 lbs in six months. It took me all six months to lose that 14 lbs, due to having PCOS. I couldn't exercise so it was all diet. It was the toughest six months of my life. But it also helped me to learn how to persevere and get it done. That experience has helped me with my eating lifestyle now.

I had to lose 15lbs, she wants me to be at 280 for surgery. I essentially quit sugar cold turkey. After about 3 days I knew what foods I just couldn't stop eating in my house (I'd grab a handful of trail mix, all candy, cheetos etc) and asked my fiance to take it all to work. Now I was without sugar, and my nutritionist listed the veg I couldn't have (corn,potatoes,snap peas-essentially high carb veg, and no fruit). I lost all 15 Lbs within the first week without sugar.

I ate meals that were small meat portions, and vegetables. If I was hungry I'd munch green vegetables, or even grab a pre made portion of Protein from the fridge. I more or less learned how to stay out of the kitchen eventually after learning that opening cupboards wasn't going to make snack food magically appear. We don't have Snacks at work at all, and my fiance would never let me eat sugar at home haha

On 6/27/2017 at 1:15 PM, blizair09 said:

This is awesome!!! What a true success!!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 3 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

3. NickelChip

I think it's important to remember that the weight charts and BMI ranges were developed a very long time ago and only intended to be applied to people who have never been overweight or obese. Those numbers aren't for us. When you are larger, especially for a long time, your body develops extra bone to support the weight. Your organs get a little bigger to handle the extra mass. Your entire infrastructure increases so you can support and function with the extra weight. That doesn't all go away just because you burn off the excess fat. If you still had a pair of jeans from your skinniest point in life and then lost weight to get to the exact number on the scale you were when those jeans fit you, chances are they would be a little baggy now because you would actually be thinner than you were, even though the scale and the BMI chart disagree. When in doubt, listen to the jeans, not the scale!

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches