Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who's Currently In Pre-Op Diet Phase?

I am on day two of my pre-op diet. Anyone with me? I feel like I need to keep talking about it to help stay motivated! My pre-op diet consists of two Protein Shakes a day and one meal consisting of a Protein and non-starchy veggies. I've been on similar diets before, but not for a loooong time. The shakes my program provided are intensely sweet. I'm thinking about adding more Water to help dilute the taste.

Hi there I'm starting my preop tired I'm a couple months out but I'm starting early to make the adjustment fully so never want to go back. If the shakes are very sweet I was suggest blending with ice that should bring the sweetness down and also boost the quantity. hope it helps!

47 minutes ago, Tealael said:

Hi there I'm starting my preop tired I'm a couple months out but I'm starting early to make the adjustment fully so never want to go back. If the shakes are very sweet I was suggest blending with ice that should bring the sweetness down and also boost the quantity. hope it helps!

Good idea! Thanks!

My pre op diet consist of 1000 calories per day which isn't much so I have to be very smart in what I eat during the day

Sent from my SM-J700T using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm on day 4 of all liquid, high Protein pre- op diet. Felt horrible yesterday - fever, chills, sweats, headache. Due to sugar leaving my body. Today tired and achy. Just going to keep moving forward, while being gentle with myself. Thank goodness for low sodium broth! Need some salt taste to balance out the sweet Protein Shakes. Going to try adding unflavored Protein Powder to Jello today.

I'm on day 7 of my liquid diet which consists of 4 Protein Shakes a day if I mix with Fat Free Skim Milk or 5 shakes a day if I mix with Water. Total calories should not exceed 800 in a day. All I can have is my shakes, water, Crystal light drinks, sugar free Jello, Decaf tea or coffee no sweetener. I have 6 more days to go and I am HUNGRY!!

I'm on day 7 of my liquid diet which consists of 4 Protein Shakes a day if I mix with Fat Free Skim Milk or 5 shakes a day if I mix with Water. Total calories should not exceed 800 in a day. All I can have is my shakes, water, Crystal light drinks, sugar free Jello, Decaf tea or coffee no sweetener. I have 6 more days to go and I am HUNGRY!!

It's tough, but we can do it! I always think of the regret I would have in the morning if I allow myself to cheat on the pre-op diet.

I'm on day 2 of a 14 day liquid diet. 4 shakes for a total 800 calories per day. No food. Sad, but determined to get through it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

Just finished day four. Did a shop today and got some flavorings to add to the shakes. Tried coconut tonight in chocolate. Yummy. Highly recommend having low salt broth if you can. I need something different from all the sweet. We ARE doing this! [emoji4]

Just finished day four. Did a shop today and got some flavorings to add to the shakes. Tried coconut tonight in chocolate. Yummy. Highly recommend having low salt broth if you can. I need something different from all the sweet. We ARE doing this! [emoji4]

I had some broth today to take the edge off the hunger. I hated it until I added pepper and some cilantro. Only one more week of preop diet for me, then I imagine it's going to get a lot harder! Though I'm hoping that hunger won't be a problem post op. It's really the hunger that's killing me during the post op diet, and I mean stomach rumbling hunger. I always wonder, do thin people walk around hungry all the time?

I'm on day 5 of my 3 week liquid diet which consists of 4 Protein Shakes a day if I mix with Fat Free Skim Milk or 5 shakes a day if I mix with Water. Total calories should not exceed 800 in a day. All I can have is my shakes, Water, Crystal light drinks, sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles, broth, Decaf tea or coffee no sweetener. I want food!! 16 more days to go.

Edited by Kimicjo

I'm on day 2 of pre-op, but we're allowed 1 serving each of vegetables, fruit, and starch so we have something to chew in addition to our Protein Shakes and liquids.< br>I had less than 700 calories yesterday with no problem, but having broth and sugar-free popsicles definitely helped. I don't really care for Jello, but I think I may get some just to have something different.

On 6/29/2017 at 8:45 AM, justbrez said:

I'm on day 4 of all liquid, high Protein pre- op diet. Felt horrible yesterday - fever, chills, sweats, headache. Due to sugar leaving my body. Today tired and achy. Just going to keep moving forward, while being gentle with myself. Thank goodness for low sodium broth! Need some salt taste to balance out the sweet Protein Shakes. Going to try adding unflavored Protein powder to Jello today.

Hang in there! You got this!

I always state that every program and doc is different. I posted my personal pre-op diet on my blog on here. I'm on my last week of a three week liquid pre-op diet. It gets much easier as I go and it will for you. I noticed there is always a day or so that is just real rough. The fourth day for me was the worst. But after that it wasn't too bad. I don't even feel real hungry anymore.

I have a schedule and stick with it. Every hour I have something. I start with two cups Decaf coffee 6am- Tomato juice (5oz can) and broth 7am - Premier Protein shake 8am - 1/4 cup cottage cheese with sugar free Jello or seasoning of choice if I want savory 9am - I repeat this once more for 10, 11, 12 and 1 - then I go home from work and have another tomato juice while I make dinner for family. I have one Oikos triple zero yogurt (coffee is the bestest) and two sugar free Popsicle. Tada - days over and I start again... LOL - sometimes I have one more shake in the evening but really haven't much. I add Protein unflavored powder (Unjury) to my jello and between that and the cottage cheese and yogurt protein - it makes up the protein from that last shake.

Yes there are times I so want to eat, especially when cooking something I love for dinner, but every morning I feel better and better. My edema is practically gone and I'm down 20lbs which I really feel a difference when I walk because my back is in less pain.

I keep real busy. I'm taking more time in my hobbies and stuff. I love painting and spend more time doing that than eating. I also walk. Especially at lunch break at work. I walk while everyone brings in their McDonald, Panda express and all that other processed poison. It helps get me away from all the smells. *wink*

Blessing on your journey - You so got this - GrInS :)

I am only doing a 3-day clear liquid diet after 7 days of 2 shakes and 1 meal of protein/veggie diet. I am MISERABLE! I am on day 2 of Clear Liquids. I hope this isn't what the 2 weeks of post-op liquids is going to be like. You all sound like you are doing much better than me. I'm doing it but not a happy camper. BTW, I am also quitting smoking at the same time. NOT EASY!