Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need encouragement - slow weight loss, hungry all the time.

Hi everyone -

This is my first post, so I'm not even sure if it's in the right place.

I was sleeved on 6/1 and feel like my experience is so different from anyone else's. I've only lost 10lbs in the 25 days since my sleeve and I have quite an appetite. While I can't eat anywhere even remotely near what I could previously, I can eat more than I thought I would. Maybe about a cup of food at a time. The worst is I'm quite hungry, quite often.

I've always been slow to lose, so I'm not sure if this is just par for the course, but has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks so much -

Vanessa

Yes, just stick with it. I am almost 3 months out, sleeved on 3/31 and have just barely lost 30 lbs. since beong sleeved. I also can eat about a cup of food without any issue. I am definitely a slower loser, but good thing is I havent gained. So as long as I keep losing, I'm okay with a slow loss. Stick with your plan and you will see results. Everyone is different, so its very hard to compare your journey to another. Just wanted you to know you're not alone. Also, it seems as if Im in stalls every couple weeks :(

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks, Suaniya. All-in-all, a 10 lb a month weight loss is good. I just see so many people who can't eat anything and they lose 30 lbs in a month. It's really discouraging.

Don't feel bad. I too am a slow loser. Was sleeved on april 11th and I have lost 27 lbs since suegery. 37 total. However I do notice inces lost even when there is no weight loss. The losse is really pretty slow now especially. This month only 5lbs!!!! I do have to admit I am a lower BMI though. I guess as ling as we are losing thats whats important.
Hang in there.

Sent from my SM-N920P using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes, it does get discouraging, believe me!! Your sw also has a lot to do with it. I was 227 on surgery day and am 5'6". Maybe I didn't have as much as most people to lose, although I think I do, and this is why its slower. I do get my Protein in, but definitely have problems getting required Water intake in. I keep pushing to get more in every day. Also, my surgeon had us on soft foods by the time I left the hospital, many people are on liquid diets for weeks.

I worried that I pushed myself too hard. I WANTED soft foods by the end of the week - held out until the end of week two, but my surgeon didn't recommend them until week 4. While I wish I had better willpower, I'd of never made it this far. I started doing my own research and found that some were doing soft foods earlier. Now, I've wondered if reintroducing the soft food too early is what's causing the slow loss.

I get a good bit of liquid - non caffeinated/non-carbonated - but it's not all Water. I've definitely replaced my 2-3 sugar free energy drinks/sodas with hot tea and juices and increased water over all. I'm retaining a good bit of water as well.

Thanks again - I'm glad to know there are others.

Yes, it does get discouraging, believe me!! Your sw also has a lot to do with it. I was 227 on surgery day and am 5'6". Maybe I didn't have as much as most people to lose, although I think I do, and this is why its slower. I do get my Protein in, but definitely have problems getting required Water intake in. I keep pushing to get more in every day. Also, my surgeon had us on soft foods by the time I left the hospital, many people are on liquid diets for weeks.

You had a lower BMI also, it seems like. Im 5'1" and was 191. I also seem to be able to eat a bit more. Did u have the sleeve??

You had a lower BMI also, it seems like. Im 5'1" and was 191. I also seem to be able to eat a bit more. Did u have the sleeve??

Yes I did.

Sleeved 5/24. Since surgery Ive only lost 10 pounds but I feel like Ive lost more than that. My Dr. said never eat more than 2 ounces and my nut said no fruit or juices and light weight training and cardio. Other people in my support group sleeved around same time are eating more ounces, more variety of food, not working out and losing more weight! I'm sticking to the plan and no longer weigh myself because I know slow and steady is the way it is for me. Good luck and hang in there, you're not alone.

Edited by Hoolahoopster
misspelled word

Thanks, Suaniya. All-in-all, a 10 lb a month weight loss is good. I just see so many people who can't eat anything and they lose 30 lbs in a month. It's really discouraging.

Take your measurements dear every month so you can see your progression. Slow loser or not I bet you've never lost weight this quickly before, you cannot compare your journey to someone else's. That being said the measurements help because even if your weight hasn't changed you will have lost inches. I went through 3 months from month 6 post op to month 9 with no change in weight but I was down 2 inches all over. Finally, make sure you hit your Protein and Water goals and eat less carbs in comparison, it makes a huge difference. Good luck :-)

Sent from my SM-G900FD using BariatricPal mobile app

Sleeved 5/24. Since surgery Ive only lost 10 pounds but I feel like Ive lost more than that. My Dr. said never eat more than 2 ounces and my nut said no fruit or juices and light weight training and cardio. Other people in my support group sleeved around same time are eating more ounces, more variety of food, not working out and losing more weight! I'm sticking to the plan and no longer weigh myself because I know slow and steady is the way it is for me. Good luck and hang in there, you're not alone.

I was sleeved 5/22 and have lost 12 lbs so I feel you. But I measured myself and have lost 13"!
We just have to stay on plan and stay patient.

I would have your sleeve checked if you can eat a cup of food. I am 10 months out and I recently started maybe being able to eat a cup- def not if I eat Protein .
I am not trying to discourage you AT ALL. I just don't think that sounds normal. But I will say o was super sick with mine in the beginning and he dr thinks I can eat less than normal people now due to that?? Who know.
It does hurt to check
Also I promise you it will all get better. It took me 5-6 months to be glad I did it .

Joann454: We're same day sleevers! I'm drinking my 3 Protein Shakes (90 grams/protein total), my broths, my Great Value=Crystal Lite from Walmart, and eating my jellos & puddings. I walk daily & teach H20 aerobics M-F. As of the 23rd, I've lost a bit over 21 lbs. Don't feel discouraged, just know that every day is going well for you & you will lose both weight & inches. I can eat an egg & a little bit of cottage cheese, but that's all. This is our journey & you're never alone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm 5 months out and have lost 45 pounds. I am a terribly slow loser but it has been steady with a couple of painful stalls. I am content to have the scale moving in the right direction but at first I wanted that instant gratification because I was eating so darn little. I was 220 at the start and am now 175. My low BMI has alot to do with it but also the fact that I was having so much trouble getting in my fluids and Protein at first. Now I have no problem and average about 2 lbs a week. This is really good and I am content to stay at that rate.

It is hard to see all the big losers here but quite frankly, I'm a pretty big loser now too. Just not as impressive on the graph as others. It won't be long until those results really show and the number becomes less important. Just stick to your plan and try to get in some light exercise. It will come off. Eventually you will feel more normal when your intake is not so restricted.

The biggest benefit to slow loss has been that my skin has been able to adjust to my weight loss. At 50 I expected more saggy skin but that has not happened so much. I just keep moisturizing after my shower and my skin is looking pretty darn good.

Enjoy the progress you've made..

take care