Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Debating if this is right for me

Hi all,

Sorry, totally new to this, but very hopeful for information. I've been struggling with my weight my entire life. I am a very successful dieter- losing 45-50 pounds relatively quickly and then gaining it back just as quickly. As an aside, I was never 'thin' even after losing that sum of weight- I was just never able to continue to keep losing or even maintain that lifestyle. In the last 3 years I've had two children and since then I cannot seem to shake the weight. I lost some after my first, but was never able to get back down to pre-baby weight. During my second pregnancy, I didn't gain much weight as I was unwell, but my daughter is now one and I weigh the same as I did the day I delivered her. I cannot seem to get myself to get on a diet. I feel so incredibly discouraged and helpless. I feel like the distance I want to go is simply unattainable because its so far from where I want to be. I started considering WLS after I saw a friend of mine have great success with it. She had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy 3 years ago, but has since gained almost 50 pounds back(!) This terrifies me. If I'm a serial dieter, is this just another 'diet' in my long history? I would appreciate any feedback- so grateful for a forum to ask questions! Also, the difficulty drinking water- this may seem silly, but I think this possible consequence post surgery scares me more than anything. I drink Water like its my job- I chug it- I have my whole life. Does ones ability to drink large volumes of water improve the further along you get from your surgery date- or is it small sips for life?

Once again, thank you for any guidance you may be able to offer!

I'm only five weeks out and do have fear of regain down the road. I'm working hard at breaking old habits and changing how I approach food. I can totally understand your fears about regain. I think a lot of us have them and unless we make that commitment to change we will fall back into our old habits. Honestly, I didn't do enough work before surgery. I was so focused on the actual surgery that I didn't focus on the "after". I'm doing that work now. I suggest working on your mindset before surgery as I think I would've made this transition easier for me.

As far as Water goes. Like I said, I'm five weeks out and can easily drink water in three big gulps with no pain. I worried about that too but it was needless. Hopefully that'll be the case for you too.

Hi all,
Sorry, totally new to this, but very hopeful for information. I've been struggling with my weight my entire life. I am a very successful dieter- losing 45-50 pounds relatively quickly and then gaining it back just as quickly. As an aside, I was never 'thin' even after losing that sum of weight- I was just never able to continue to keep losing or even maintain that lifestyle. In the last 3 years I've had two children and since then I cannot seem to shake the weight. I lost some after my first, but was never able to get back down to pre-baby weight. During my second pregnancy, I didn't gain much weight as I was unwell, but my daughter is now one and I weigh the same as I did the day I delivered her. I cannot seem to get myself to get on a diet. I feel so incredibly discouraged and helpless. I feel like the distance I want to go is simply unattainable because its so far from where I want to be. I started considering WLS after I saw a friend of mine have great success with it. She had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy 3 years ago, but has since gained almost 50 pounds back(!) This terrifies me. If I'm a serial dieter, is this just another 'diet' in my long history? I would appreciate any feedback- so grateful for a forum to ask questions! Also, the difficulty drinking water- this may seem silly, but I think this possible consequence post surgery scares me more than anything. I drink Water like its my job- I chug it- I have my whole life. Does ones ability to drink large volumes of water improve the further along you get from your surgery date- or is it small sips for life?

I was sleeved on June 21st, I am doing really good I was shocked at how easy the surgery was. I went to Loyola hospital, Dr. Chand. He was awesome, I had surgery on the 21st and was out of there on the 22nd. Since I've experienced some heavy nausea twice but did well until Sunday, the afternoon I got dizzy and wasn't feeling well so I took some zofran and realized I hadn't drank any Protein at all, all day long. I drank a shake but it was a good few hours before I felt better. The incisions are so small that we tend to feel better and forget easily how our stomach is completely cut out about 75 to 80% so if you feel better fast just remember to take it easy.

Sent from my N9519 using BariatricPal mobile app

You sound similar to me. After my first baby, weight came off then I had two more babies and after my 3rd, weight never left and I gained some. I've been super successful at other diets, for a while then I stop and regain.

WLS is a tool. That's what I hear everyone say and I believe it is true. For the year after WLS, you need to work hard to change habits. The surgery does several things to help you with that.

I never considered gastric bypass until an old coworker had it and I would see her progress on Facebook.

If you don't continue with a healthy lifestyle, if you snack or graze during the day after WLS, the weight will come back.

I suggest you listen to a hospitals online seminar regarding WLS. Or call a hospital and go in person to an info session on WLS. It helps to answer questions.

Mom here in the hospital today, waiting on gastric bypass surgery. I know I made the right choice. I want to be around when my kids graduate high school, college, get married, etc.

good luck in your decision!

I'm 10 months out. Down almost 100 pounds. Weigh less now than I did when I got married to my husband 20 years ago.

Go to a seminar at the hospital you are considering using (most require it as part of the process) and learn a little more. Here's what I can tell you.

Last year at this time, my daughter was looking at the University of Pittsburgh and I couldn't walk the half mile from the hotel to campus. I could not complete the campus tour. I was a mess. (I knew I was going to have surgery at that point, but did not know when other than late summer, early fall).

I was at Pitt for three days. I parked the car at the hotel and didn't move it until we checked out. I walked miles and miles and was never tired. I ran a 5k on Sunday. (Never again - I've learned I hate running). I've inspired my girls to lose weight. I'm in better shape now than I have been in 20 years.

You are right, it is a tool. You have to change your habits, but it helps. Physically, I cannot consume the amount of food I used to at a meal. I eat my 3-5 ounces of Protein and a bit of a vegetable and I'm full. If I eat too much, I feel ill.

Best of luck in making your decision.

5 hours ago, yoyostopsyoyoing said:

Hi all,

Sorry, totally new to this, but very hopeful for information. I've been struggling with my weight my entire life. I am a very successful dieter- losing 45-50 pounds relatively quickly and then gaining it back just as quickly. As an aside, I was never 'thin' even after losing that sum of weight- I was just never able to continue to keep losing or even maintain that lifestyle. In the last 3 years I've had two children and since then I cannot seem to shake the weight. I lost some after my first, but was never able to get back down to pre-baby weight. During my second pregnancy, I didn't gain much weight as I was unwell, but my daughter is now one and I weigh the same as I did the day I delivered her. I cannot seem to get myself to get on a diet. I feel so incredibly discouraged and helpless. I feel like the distance I want to go is simply unattainable because its so far from where I want to be. I started considering WLS after I saw a friend of mine have great success with it. She had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy 3 years ago, but has since gained almost 50 pounds back(!) This terrifies me. If I'm a serial dieter, is this just another 'diet' in my long history? I would appreciate any feedback- so grateful for a forum to ask questions! Also, the difficulty drinking water- this may seem silly, but I think this possible consequence post surgery scares me more than anything. I drink Water like its my job- I chug it- I have my whole life. Does ones ability to drink large volumes of Water improve the further along you get from your surgery date- or is it small sips for life?

It felt like i was reading my story when talked about "serial dieter". I have no problem losing once I set my mind to it and there is that famous "stall or plateau" right when you are at your peak of thinking this time it will be successful and that you keep it off this time. So I get discouraged and fall off just a little bit thinking it will be okay to do this.. then next thing i know I have gained back the weight I lost. Now I am 41 and it seems that me and my fat or all these pounds i'm carrying are in a bad relationship, like I am ready to move on and let it go but the fat is that boyfriend that thinks it can work if "he" hangs on and don't want to let me go..lol Its extremely hard to get on track and stay on it. WLS surgery was not in my plan, I was one of those that thought i can do it on my own, but the struggle is real! I ran across an ex-co worker that her and I had the same weight problems, would go on diets, exercise together, and guess what she looks amazing now! She was so excited to tell me that she had the sleeve done a year ago. So now here I am wanting to get the WLS because I feel that it would a jump start to where I want to be and keep my discipline to do the right thing as far as eating and exercising. I feel that it was meant for me to have this conversation with her because she knows my struggles.

I am almost done with the requirements so the surgeon can submit it to the insurance for approval. As far as water intake, yes I gulp to try to get my water intake in for the day. I know those habits would have to change. I currently have 5 co-workers that have had WLS and they are able to take in a little more that "sips", from my understanding from them, is that the small "sips" are only in the beginning after you have had your surgery. Of course, each person is different on how their bodies react or cope with the new change.

On 6/26/2017 at 8:23 AM, yoyostopsyoyoing said:

Hi all,

Sorry, totally new to this, but very hopeful for information. I've been struggling with my weight my entire life. I am a very successful dieter- losing 45-50 pounds relatively quickly and then gaining it back just as quickly. As an aside, I was never 'thin' even after losing that sum of weight- I was just never able to continue to keep losing or even maintain that lifestyle. In the last 3 years I've had two children and since then I cannot seem to shake the weight. I lost some after my first, but was never able to get back down to pre-baby weight. During my second pregnancy, I didn't gain much weight as I was unwell, but my daughter is now one and I weigh the same as I did the day I delivered her. I cannot seem to get myself to get on a diet. I feel so incredibly discouraged and helpless. I feel like the distance I want to go is simply unattainable because its so far from where I want to be. I started considering WLS after I saw a friend of mine have great success with it. She had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy 3 years ago, but has since gained almost 50 pounds back(!) This terrifies me. If I'm a serial dieter, is this just another 'diet' in my long history? I would appreciate any feedback- so grateful for a forum to ask questions! Also, the difficulty drinking water- this may seem silly, but I think this possible consequence post surgery scares me more than anything. I drink Water like its my job- I chug it- I have my whole life. Does ones ability to drink large volumes of Water improve the further along you get from your surgery date- or is it small sips for life?

You sound like the VSL would be perfect for you but your BMI needs to be above a certain point. It is 35 with other problems and 40 without.

Your friend probably gained weight because she was not compliant. VSG is only a tool that will help you lose 50-60% of the weight to a HEALTHY goal weight. You need to be compliant for the rest of your life.

Chugging will be a thing of the past. Carbonation and chugging stretch out your stomach which may be a problem if you want to stay in compliance.

You will have to remember that your stomach does not have teeth so you will need to chew until the food is liquefied.

My doc wants me to walk 10,000 steps per day (about 5 miles) by the time I have surgery. Your surgeon might have a different goal. In fact, you will have to commit to exercising for the rest of your life. You will want a variety of exercises for different days. I walk every day but I will also be doing yoga and dancing.

You will have a pre-op diet which gets you down to or close to a clear liquid diet BEFORE surgery. This is to get some of the fat away from your liver so it is easier to move your liver aside to get to your stomach. It will take a month on this diet. After surgery, you have a month or more before you can eat real food again.

Once you have lost the weight, you will have loose skin and might want to get a Tummy Tuck and other procedures to get rid of it. Document, document, document. I may be possible to have your health insurance pay for it if there is a medical record history of who it is affecting your life.

Rivka

I had the sleeve, it is a wonderful help with dieting! I too could lose weight easily but it always would come back. The sleeve is a tool that helps both reduce appetite and the amount you can eat. But you still need to the right food! I think those who are successful change their relationship with food and are ready to be healthy!