Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days out, not feeling great at the moment

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this website and I was hoping I could get some thoughts/ input on my experiences five days post-op.

I had surgery on the 20th and have been on my liquid/ Protein diet since my second day post-op. It hasn't been that long on that diet, but I feel like I'm losing my mind a bit. I'm living at home with my family at the moment and I have to watch them eat good looking foods all day while I'm stuck sipping Water, tea, broth, and Protein Shakes all day. I have to do this diet until the 6th of July, which feels forever away at this point. After that, I start a week of pureed foods, which I doubt will be much more satisfying.

I was doing alright for the most part up until last night. Today is not much better. I'm feeling irritable and I wish I could just have something to eat. I'm not even craving unhealthy foods the way I used to and I'm not feeling hungry at all, I just feel like I need to eat something. I was under the impression that my cravings would be under control after surgery.

Ugh. Anyone else have similar experiences or tips to get through the next few weeks?

I enjoyed chicken broth... it helped... you got this!! I am 8 weeks post op and am down 48 pounds. It's been a real struggle and I've cried a lot. Questioned my sanity but at the end of the day, this was the best decision. I am off diabetes meds, my bp meds have been cut in half and I feel really good now...

4 minutes ago, AngieK72 said:

I enjoyed chicken broth... it helped... you got this!! I am 8 weeks post op and am down 48 pounds. It's been a real struggle and I've cried a lot. Questioned my sanity but at the end of the day, this was the best decision. I am off diabetes meds, my bp meds have been cut in half and I feel really good now...

Good for you, that's awesome! The logical side of me knows I'll be feeling good sooner rather than later and I'll be glad I did this in the long run but the emotional side of me just really wants to be able to eat already.

I'm enjoying chicken broth the best out of all of it, too

Edited by hickoryghost

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this website and I was hoping I could get some thoughts/ input on my experiences five days post-op.
I had surgery on the 20th and have been on my liquid/ Protein diet since my second day post-op. It hasn't been that long on that diet, but I feel like I'm losing my mind a bit. I'm living at home with my family at the moment and I have to watch them eat good looking foods all day while I'm stuck sipping Water, tea, broth, and Protein Shakes all day. I have to do this diet until the 6th of July, which feels forever away at this point. After that, I start a week of pureed foods, which I doubt will be much more satisfying.
I was doing alright for the most part up until last night. Today is not much better. I'm feeling irritable and I wish I could just have something to eat. I'm not even craving unhealthy foods the way I used to and I'm not feeling hungry at all, I just feel like I need to eat something. I was under the impression that my cravings would be under control after surgery.
Ugh. Anyone else have similar experiences or tips to get through the next few weeks?

lol I'm 6 days post op and I'm feeling the same way. Try Sugar Free Chocolate pudding I'm on liquids until the 2nd of June. From the recipes I've seen puréed is something to look forward to. Ummm I've had beef tripe Soup broth, yummy. Also if you're on full liquids, you should be able to have creamier Soups, so I will be trying broccoli cheddar soup. I was under the impression that my appetite wouldn't be there but I have hunger pangs and everything.

Just now, leiaD said:

lol I'm 6 days post op and I'm feeling the same way. Try Sugar Free Chocolate pudding I'm on liquids until the 2nd of June. From the recipes I've seen puréed is something to look forward to. Ummm I've had beef tripe Soup broth, yummy. Also if you're on full liquids, you should be able to have creamier Soups, so I will be trying broccoli cheddar soup. I was under the impression that my appetite wouldn't be there but I have hunger pangs and everything.

Thanks for the advice!! Broccoli cheddar soup sounds sooooo good, too. I think I just need some variety, it's killing me that I'm having the same stuff over and over again.

I know exactly what you mean, I'm 8 days post op. I finally found some sugar free Popsicles and that really seemed to help. It's 30+ degrees out right now and I don't know how much more broth I can take. It hurts to take in any liquid room temp or colder (yes even the Popsicle has its moments of discomfort) so it's taking me two hours to choke down a warm Protein Shake. I know I'm not getting in my full liquids yet and I have no energy. It's amazing how much time and thought food received from me personally. I'm slightly dreading my first day back to work tomorrow.

The only words I can offer are to stay strong, this won't be forever, once the stomach heals, things will get better. You'll be able to start making some fantastic food choices and you will start to look and feel amazing!

Thanks for the advice!! Broccoli cheddar Soup sounds sooooo good, too. I think I just need some variety, it's killing me that I'm having the same stuff over and over again.

Lol trust me, I know! I cried about it twice. It's weird to be crying about it but I guess people who aren't going through this wouldn't understand. It's not just a physical change.

I'm almost 4 weeks post op and was on full liquids for two weeks and purees for two weeks. I move to soft foods on Wed! I enjoyed Tomato Soup and thinned mashed potatoes my first two weeks and then eggs (egg salad), low fat string cheese and even baby foods (variety) these past two weeks. I find if I stay active each day I don't think about food too much. One thing I had to learn - food only has has meaning and value if you allow it to do so. It was a mindset change for me that worked. 42 lbs down since my journey started on 5/17 with pre-op. Hang in there, it does get easier!

Sent from my LG-TP450 using BariatricPal mobile app

Day 5 was my hump day. I felt the worse, I had the least amount of energy, my gas pain were hard, and my mind was like wth. But day 6, all was better and continues to be better everyday.

I am struggling with not eating solid food. I'm on liquid/purée for another week. But, my saving grace is I like to cook and feel well enough to so. I've made 3-4 Soups to have some real food. I made Bone Broth which was superior to any store bought chemical laden stock.

I focus on getting my Protein in for the day and my liquids. The rest of the time I can play around with recipes and spices. Keeps me busy.

Good luck and try to get out of your head. It gets easier when you are feeling better.

I'm 5 days post op , was sleeved on the 21st. What you're feeling is totally normal. Ever since my surgery, my family has been the bomb.com and not ate ant of my favorite foods, but also I feel like anything they eat looks gross and could be a bucket of fish heads. Lol.

Go get you some wonton Soup broth. It will help you feel "normal."

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

12 hours ago, Iconcinnity said:

I'm almost 4 weeks post op and was on full liquids for two weeks and purees for two weeks. I move to soft foods on Wed! I enjoyed Tomato Soup and thinned mashed potatoes my first two weeks and then eggs (egg salad), low fat string cheese and even baby foods (variety) these past two weeks. I find if I stay active each day I don't think about food too much. One thing I had to learn - food only has has meaning and value if you allow it to do so. It was a mindset change for me that worked. 42 lbs down since my journey started on 5/17 with pre-op. Hang in there, it does get easier!

Thank you! I think part of my issue is that I haven't been doing much of anything since surgery and I used to turn to food when I was bored every now and then and now that's not an option anymore.

12 hours ago, Dabearo said:

Day 5 was my hump day. I felt the worse, I had the least amount of energy, my gas pain were hard, and my mind was like wth. But day 6, all was better and continues to be better everyday.

I am struggling with not eating solid food. I'm on liquid/purée for another week. But, my saving grace is I like to cook and feel well enough to so. I've made 3-4 Soups to have some real food. I made bone broth which was superior to any store bought chemical laden stock.

I focus on getting my Protein in for the day and my liquids. The rest of the time I can play around with recipes and spices. Keeps me busy.

Good luck and try to get out of your head. It gets easier when you are feeling better.

I'm not sure what it is about day 5! I'm feeling much better today. Thank you, I'm gonna try to keep busy at home today so I can focus on things that aren't food.

It's so great to hear others with the same experiences! SD- 6/19/17 and I go for staple removal today and should be cleared for puréed foods as long as they are okay with only 60 grams of Protein (goal is 87-93; woof).

I try to go for walks when the hunger pains start - sometimes I can't tell if it's hunger or gas pains honestly! I am definitely bored withthe liquid/protein diet but just remember - food is coming and you will begin to attempt it soon! Another 2 weeks in the grand scheme of things, is such a small time frame. Also, we all need to remember that food is a larger part of our culture - there is no escaping it, just learning to rise above our urges!

I'm right behind you. I'm about 3.5 weeks on the same protocol, I can start soft on Friday![emoji1303]

I started eating at day 7. Cottage cheese is awsome, went right down