Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere. But... Will I need to buy a food scale or just measure in a measuring cup. The nutrition class said I would not be eating more than 1/2 cup at a meal.

Some people use food scales for accountability and tracking purposes.

I've never used a food scale and never will. Measuring, weighing food, counting calories and tracking intake are vestiges of the dieter mentality of which I refuse to participate.

I reached my goal weight and have been maintaining it by listening to my body's cues: I eat if I'm hungry, drink if I'm thirsty, and stop when I'm satisfied. Humans are the only members of the animal kingdom who weigh, measure, count and track.

1 hour ago, Introversion said:

Some people use food scales for accountability and tracking purposes.

I've never used a food scale and never will. Measuring, weighing food, counting calories and tracking intake are vestiges of the dieter mentality of which I refuse to participate.

I reached my goal weight and have been maintaining it by listening to my body's cues: I eat if I'm hungry, drink if I'm thirsty, and stop when I'm satisfied. Humans are the only members of the animal kingdom who weigh, measure, count and track.

I'm with you on this. Although I've been trying to gauge how much I'm eating by logging my foods in and I haven't been too successful with it, so....I eat when I'm hungry, etc.

I have found it is not necessary to use a food scale, but rather use a set of those small cup/bowls from Home Goods or TJ Maxx. The insides are marked with measurements. Takes the hassle out of weighing. Also those two oz. little plastic disposable containers with lids. I am going to cook for my week on Sunday cuz I start pureed/soft on Monday. Then just distribute into those.

I use an inexpensive digital scale I got at Walmart. I am from the camp that weighs and logs their food. I feel like this is the best way for me to be accountable and I want to have this data.

I was lousy with Portion Control and by weighing my food I don't have to worry about over eating. I personally don't trust myself to be able to moderate portions without this tool. Maybe a year or two from now portion sizes will be easy and I won't need to do this as much, but for now it is piece of mind.

Not everyone needs or wants to do this. People should figure out what works for them and then stick with it. This is not a diet to me. It is a lifestyle change and the scale and food logs are just tools, like the sleeve, to help me be successful.

I am preparing for surgery, but I recently came across a weight watchers food scale at Goodwill and paid $1.00 for it, I just though it might come in handy when I need it.

I'm with you@Apple1. I use a food scale I bought at Walmart. What my nutritionist told me is...to use volume for meats and some veggies...and to use the scale for other veggies like lettuce, baby spinach, etc. because you get more out of your salad that way, and you get more veggies.

But I have decided to use my food scale for everything, meat included. It's just easier for me. I'm also from the camp that weighs and logs their food. I actually log it more than one way. I feel being accountable keeps me on track. I'm more than six months out and I still don't get hungry, so listening to my body won't work for me. I have to eat on a schedule, so that I get in my Protein and my fluids, and keep my carbs and fats down.

I totally agree that this is not a diet for me. This is a complete lifestyle change, and I will use every tool in my arsenal to be successful. The way I look at it...I will do whatever it takes to be and remain successful.

Well said Apple1 and GBLady41. We really need to be careful when someone ask us how we do it. Those who are newly out from WLS need to be helped to figure everything out. I feel like we do need to measure and weigh until we have an eye for what amounts to a serving. I also have 0 hunger and Thank Goodness for that!! I am 4 years out and I don't measure or weigh now. Because after this long I pretty much know what my tool can handle. I know this isn't a diet persay, but until you know what your POUCH or SLEVE can handle it is not doing them any service to tell them to wait until they are hungery or thirsty. Our mind can be very treacherous. Our eyes can deceive us. So yes measure and weigh if you need too. Good Luck

2 hours ago, Sherrie Scharbrough said:

We really need to be careful when someone ask us how we do it. Those who are newly out from WLS need to be helped to figure everything out.

If new post-op bariatric surgery patients require so much assistance to navigate life post-surgery, perhaps they should ask the knowledgeable professionals at their surgeon's office who are paid to help?

If a person asks a question on an internet forum full of anonymous members, it is reasonable that a variety of responses will be received. Some are evidence-based. Others are not. Whoop-de-doo.

Those who desire the most accurate consultative advice for their unique postoperative situations have the options of either:

1. Asking the dietitian/nutritionist at their bariatric practice
  2. Seeking out peer-reviewed information from research studies on WLS

You say it's not doing the person any service to advise them to wait until hungry or thirsty, while I say they person is doing herself/himself a disservice by not having asked the folks who are actually paid the big bucks to guide and advise bariatric patients (read: surgeons, nutritionists, coordinators).

Good luck to everyone who is on the journey toward a healthier lifestyle.

First of all, thank you Sherrie. I thought BariatricPal was to guide one another and help one another in this new journey. I am new to this BariatricPal site, but thought it could help me navigate through the treacherous waters of a beginner. Yes, I will ask my nutritionist when I go back to see her in 2 weeks. But the question came to mind, so I ask anyway. Just wanted to know NOW.

Thanks the all input

I think it awesome that this forum has veteran members that can share that there are many different ways to be successful after WLS. The decision on how anyone newly post-op will proceed is ultimately up to them.

I think certain personalities lend themselves to being more structured and others not so much. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. I do think we all have to figure out what is going to work well and help us to be successful. If something isn't working change it up and see if doing something different works better.

I was not implying that you shoud not use a food scale. Whatever works for you. However for myself, I find it easier to use those lirttle two oz cups. I had a food scale when I had vsg 5 1/2 years ago, and for some reason I could not use it right and I guess I considered it a nuisance for me so I prefer the cups instead. If you want to use the scales for Portion Control, that is completely up to the individual.

I like small plates and demitasse spoons. ( very small). I don't know why, but years later they still help me to eat slower and more methodically.

My take is we all try to find what method helps us stay at a lower weight. Maybe not perfect. Or goal. But 90 lbs off for 10 years is my personal best, and I am thrilled with it. Size12 works for me

Don't mistake this for someone who doesn't trip and fall....a lot. I just seem to be able to get up quicker and move on.

Good luck and please keep posting. Us vets love to hear what works for others!!

Humans are the only members of the animal kingdom who weigh, measure, count and track.

I've noticed that no other members of the animal kingdom read or write either. From your logic I assume you will be refraining from these activities too.