Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved May 2. I follow my program as precisely as I can. This is my 3rd "stall." I'm getting frustrated. I'm 5'2, my weight on surgery day was 198. I'm down to 184. I stopped losing for 5 days my second week. I stopped losing for almost a full week on week 5. And here I am again, a full week, seeing nothing but gaining and losing the same lb. What am I doing wrong? How can I get my body to stop this and just lose consistently? I don't care if it's .5 lbs every few days (which is what is was doing when I'm not gaining and losing the same lb.) Is it because my surgery weight was already lower? I expected my loss to be slower, but this is ridiculous. I'm ranging 800-1000 calories, no hardcore work outs (but active at least 3-4 days a week), getting above 64 oz, above 70 grams of Protein. Carbs range 40-70 (no ketosis, diabetic, my program said it's not allowed because of my kidney issues)

8 minutes ago, PatientEleventyBillion said:

Expecting to be consistently losing. Doesn't work like that.

Yessssss. I really wish more surgeons would get this point across to their patients. This goes for my surgeon too. They tell you that you will lose x amount of weight, but rarely say it is at varying speeds!

1 minute ago, Navigating the Wilderness said:

Yessssss. I really wish more surgeons would get this point across to their patients. This goes for my surgeon too. They tell you that you will lose x amount of weight, but rarely say it is at varying speeds!

Yeah, I'd say my program did not give me that expectation. Quite the opposite because I very much asked is weight loss consistent at first, and their answer was YES. Called it the honeymoon period, and to take advantage of it (ie, make things habits, etc etc) because it wouldn't last long but you can't mess up that first 6 months (unless you really really tried) and you will lose x # of lbs each week, etc etc. So I'm angry, I'm frustrated, and I regret having this surgery done.

35 minutes ago, fatchocobomom said:

How can I get my body to stop this and just lose consistently?

You aren't going to lose consistently. Ever, ever, ever. The sooner you face this reality, the less anxiety you'll have during the weight loss phase.

Losing weight with a sleeve is not a consistent process. It doesn't occur in a predictable pattern. Weight loss isn't a linear event: we lose pounds, hold on to some pounds at times, and stall occasionally before dropping more weight.

Moreover, certain groups of people may lose more slowly, such as 'lightweights' who started at less than 200 pounds, older females, menopausal ladies, racial/ethnic minorities, and those with metabolic issues (PCOS, hypothyroid, long-standing diabetes, insulin resistance).

You may also weigh yourself too often. I only weighed myself once monthly during my weight loss phase to prevent disappointment from not seeing daily weight loss. Monthly weights were better for my sanity due to seeing the progress over a time period of 4+ weeks.

Remember that you probably didn't become fat in a few months. Therefore, it won't come off in a few months. Slow and steady wins the race. Fast and crass doesn't last.

Good luck to you. :)

Edited by Introversion

1 minute ago, Introversion said:

You aren't going to lose consistently. Ever, ever, ever. The sooner you face this reality, the less anxiety you'll have during the weight loss phase.

Losing weight a sleeve is not a consistent process. It doesn't occur in a predictable pattern. Weight loss isn't a linear event: we lose pounds, hold on to some pounds at times, and stall occasionally before dropping more weight.

Moreover, certain groups of people may lose more slowly, such as 'lightweights' who started at less than 200 pounds, older females, menopausal ladies, racial/ethnic minorities, and those with metabolic issues (PCOS, hypothyroid, long-standing diabetes, insulin resistance).

You may also be weighing yourself too often. I only weighed myself once monthly during my weight loss phase to prevent disappointment from not seeing daily weight loss. Monthly weights were better for my sanity due to seeing the progress over a time period of 4+ weeks.

Good luck to you. :)

Thank you.

I'm afraid to stop weighing daily. In the past, the only time I've been consistent in my weight loss has been when I weighed daily and kept myself accountable. I'm terrified if I stop, I will weigh myself only to discover I'm 20lbs heavier. I know it's not rational though, but the fear and anxiety is real.

I have the same issue - frustrating. I have been stalled for over 2 weeks, just cant seem to drop that extra 2 lbs to be under 200 lbs! I was not aware of the consistency on weight loss either. Will just carry on and not weigh myself daily. I guess losing 16 lbs in 7 weeks is good. Just want it to be more!! Good luck everyone. this is NOT as easy as I thought it would be, but willing to carry on :)

I am

not sure what the reasoning is for the 40-50 carb grams daily. I bet if you dropped that to 25-30 you might break the stall. I am not a doctor so don't take my advice if there is a compelling medical reason to eat that many carbs. I am diabetic and I eat on average 15-20 carbs daily. I feel great!

2 hours ago, fatchocobomom said:

Thank you.

I'm afraid to stop weighing daily. In the past, the only time I've been consistent in my weight loss has been when I weighed daily and kept myself accountable. I'm terrified if I stop, I will weigh myself only to discover I'm 20lbs heavier. I know it's not rational though, but the fear and anxiety is real.

I've been stalled for over 3 weeks now. Still, I want to know my weight regardless of stalls, so I've been weighing daily. Doesn't matter how little or much I eat, my weight right now just will not budge from 258-260. All the way up until that point, it was plunging on the diet I've been on. If I had expected consistency it would have driven me mad by now.

Yeah my loss was like stair steps all along the way... I would go for a time with no loss then a big drop. Just be patient!

5 hours ago, fatchocobomom said:

I'm angry, I'm frustrated, and I regret having this surgery done.

Really? Life is so much better as a normal-weight person.

Health-wise, a body with less pounds reaps rewards immediately and in the long run. In addition, society and the public are nicer and more deferential to normal-weight people. Fat-shaming and weight discrimination are very real phenomenons that disappear once a person attains a normal body weight.

Though I was a painfully slow loser, I have no regrets about having surgery. I was miserable when I was fat. Life is too short to not enjoy the best of both worlds.

Edited by Introversion

2 hours ago, Apple1 said:

I am

not sure what the reasoning is for the 40-50 carb grams daily. I bet if you dropped that to 25-30 you might break the stall. I am not a doctor so don't take my advice if there is a compelling medical reason to eat that many carbs. I am diabetic and I eat on average 15-20 carbs daily. I feel great!

As a diabetic, your kidneys are already stressed. Ketosis adds stress (per my nutritionist, CNP, ENT and Sur) so it's not advisable, at least it was not advisable per the professional overseeing my case. I know every program, surgeon and doctor is different.

18 minutes ago, Introversion said:

Really? Life is so much better as a normal-weight person.

Health-wise, a body with less pounds reaps rewards immediately and in the long run. In addition, society and the public are nicer and more deferential to normal-weight people. Fat-shaming and weight discrimination are very real phenomenons that disappear once a person attains a normal body weight.

Though I was a painfully slow loser, I have no regrets about having surgery. I was miserable when I was fat. Life is too short to not enjoy the best of both worlds.

1. I'm not a normal weight person so until I see results (aka, I'm in a normal or even overweight BMI), I can't say life is better or not.

2. I was actually happy with my body. I was never ashamed to be fat, I worked out and had good relationships with my friends, family and husband. I didn't care once what others thought of me and my weight. I was however, sick, and that's why I had the surgery. Yes it helped that, but I am more stressed now than I was before. Before I knew what I was doing, where I was failing. I feel like I am fumbling in the dark at the moment, just hoping I'll come across the right formula.

5 hours ago, fatchocobomom said:

So I'm angry, I'm frustrated, and I regret having this surgery done.

I think that is perfectly normal. I certainly had all three emotions at times post-op.

5 minutes ago, fatchocobomom said:

As a diabetic, your kidneys are already stressed. Ketosis adds stress (per my nutritionist, CNP, ENT and Sur) so it's not advisable, at least it was not advisable per the professional overseeing my case. I know every program, surgeon and doctor is

This is the first time I have ever heard that a low carb diet is bad for a diabetic. In fact the only way I could get my bs down before surgery was to eat less then 30g of carbs a day. My diabetes educator told me to eat 40g of carbs per meal. That was a joke. I would have been on insulin if I would have followed her advice.

You are right though all doctors are different in what they tell their patients.

3 minutes ago, Navigating the Wilderness said:

I think that is perfectly normal. I certainly had all three emotions at times post-op.

Thank you. This is really all I want to hear. I just feel like I'm doing something wrong.

2 minutes ago, Apple1 said:

This is the first time I have ever heard that a low carb diet is bad for a diabetic. In fact the only way I could get my bs down before surgery was to eat less then 30g of carbs a day. My diabetes educator told me to eat 40g of carbs per meal. That was a joke. I would have been on insulin if I would have followed her advice.

You are right though all doctors are different in what they tell their patients.

Mine doesn't think low carb is bad. They think ketosis is bad. And there is a difference between complex carbs and simple carbs. On my own, I follow Protein (45%)Carbs (25%)Fat (30%) macros (try to, I'm not perfect but the numbers are close.)

And yeah, I've had diabetic educators say the same. Maybe it works for some. But my blood sugars are completely normal now, even after fruit (which before would spike my sugars.)