Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve next month: are there some foods we will never eat again ever?

I know that sugary sweet stuff is out forever more or it will cause dumping. Anything else? I'm ok with saying goodbye to say candy bars or sweet cakes and Cookies. But what about other things? Two things that keep worrying me are: 85% dark chocolate, which I like to nibble on like others drink coffee. It gives me a little wake up boost. Also, spicy foods. Can we add chopped jalapeño to anything, ever? Little things like that I just don't want to say goodbye to. Anything you can never eat again because it causes dumping or pain or vomiting? Give it to me straight. :)

Dumping is rare with the sleeve so you may be fine with sweets, it's more of a bypass thing (though not unheard of with the sleeve).

Spicy is fine for many of us. It is for me.

The things that cause my stomach issues are carbonation and rice. Those are very painful for me. I also don't tolerate bread very well. None of that bothers me though!

It was a hard concept for me to get until I was post op a couple of months. WLS does not keep you from eating anything. After you heal you will, for the most part, be able to eat anything you want but in smaller quantities. I have absolutely no problem eating anything at all. With the exception of fried potatoes, which is ok with me.

You've probably heard it before but this surgery is a tool to help you learn the self control needed to maintain a healthy weight. Consequently, you will not succeed if you do not change your relationship with food. I still enjoy a good meal but it is a rare treat to indulge myself. I stick with my plan of 60-100g of Protein and less than 25g of carbs and ensuring I drink 64 oz Water a day. Staying within that guideline has worked for me. Occasionally I slip when I'm with family or friends but my new tool helps me to get back at it the next day.

I encourage you to use pre op and post op restrictions to evaluate your relationship with food. You will mourn the loss, regret your decision, and get angry because you did this to yourself. You experience the toughest breakup you have ever known. Your very emotional relationship with food must come to an end and it hurts like hell. But!!!! There is so much joy on the other side of that.

I drive through town and never think of running through a drive thru. I can prepare a meal for my family without "tasting" a full meals worth of calories. I can go to a movie and skip the buttered popcorn. These are concepts that I did not know existed.

You will get it. You will know exactly what I mean and it will be so freeing. I am amazed what I missed because eating was so important to me.

Good luck! And take care.

The only thing that bothers my stomach is scrambled eggs, they sit really heavy so I don't eat them anymore. Otherwise there has been nothing I haven't been able to tolerate and I have tried as much stuff as possible. Spicy doesn't bother me at all and the few times I've had a couple bites of sweets I was fine with that as well. I've also had bread, rice and carbonation with no issues.

5 hours ago, Pam_2-06-2017 said:

It was a hard concept for me to get until I was post op a couple of months. WLS does not keep you from eating anything. After you heal you will, for the most part, be able to eat anything you want but in smaller quantities. I have absolutely no problem eating anything at all.

THIS. ^

1 hour ago, Sullie06 said:

The only thing that bothers my stomach is scrambled eggs....

That was the case for me at first. Dense Proteins like scrambled eggs, lobster, shrimp, etc., definitely take more work for me.

I am out a 1 1/2 years and I never had a "dumping problem" but I have had food get stuck. I still have sweets a little to much lately but everyone is different. I think the most important thing is to pay attention to your body it shows you signs.

7 hours ago, GotProlactinoma said:

I know that sugary sweet stuff is out forever more or it will cause dumping.

Generally, sleeved people do not suffer from dumping. Only 3 percent of sleevers experience dumping; therefore, 97 percent of us do not dump. Nonetheless, it may be a good idea to moderate your intake of sweets or abstain from them altogether if sugary treats are one of your triggers.

I can eat chocolate without any problems. I regularly eat spicy foods such as jalapeños, Tabasco sauce, cayenne pepper, and so forth. I have not vomited since getting sleeved over two years ago.

Here's my view...rigidity regarding food choices is usually disastrous. Many people who tightly restrict their food choices and say "never" often see this tactic backfire. The more you restrict, the more intensely you may crave.

I have no forbidden foods because I am not on a diet. Restricting intake is part of the dieter mentality and I refuse to participate. Many of us sucked at long term adherence to diets prior to weight loss surgery, so why put oneself through the same misery?

Good luck to everyone. :)

I am adhering to the more strict version of the meal plan....at least while I still need to lose. Once I get to maintenence, I will splurge from time to time on the sugary things. For now they are too much of a trigger for me to all things bad!

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app

8 months out and there are several foods I can't eat but I'm OK with that because I want the weight loss.

A few months out I had a problems with Gerd so anything citrus I couldn't/can't handle, chicken is sometimes hard to digest, ice cream (tried it in Italy) HUGE no no.

I'm part of the 'sleeved patients that have experienced the dumping syndrome' but on a few occasions.

Everyone is different so you can't really go by mine or others experiences. It's well worth it though if you give it your all and keep in mind it's a process.

*Waves*

Hi, I suffer from dumping. lol! Of course I get one of the most rare side effects. lol! It SUCKS. But survivable. Usually only happens to me at night and I get the joy if it not being limited to sugars. YAY! lol!!

Anyway, regarding food you can and can't eat....well, once you are fully recovered you can really eat anything you want. Though, i mean, when I say eat I really mean taste. Sure, I've had some fried chicken since I was fully recovered...I took a bite of nieces and she howled with indignation. hahahah! I've had cheese cake. I mean, it's only 3 bites but it was totally satisfying and I was full.

pizza I eat Pizza all the time. I only eat the top. :D just the cheese, sauce and toppings. Love it!

Cheese steak. Oh man, do I love cheese steaks. I'm from PA so... Anyway, I had 2 bites of a friend of mine's and it was glorious...and I was full.

Of course, these are the few and far between moments of a highly regimented and dedicated diet and exercise routine. But as I told my doctor, and he was in full agreement, I didn't have this surgery so that I would be limited my whole life. I did it so I was would free my body and allow myself to enjoy the things I used to love in moderation.

But you need to be at least 6 to 8 months down the road before incorporating any of these food into your diet. Because we need at least half a year to reset our bodies and minds. And many would disagree with me 100% and would say to never eat those things, even a bite such as my process.

I'm 3 months out and have yet to find a food that my sleeve disagrees with (all introduced slowly, of course!). Sweet, spicy, etc - it all goes down fine. I do get uncomfortable sometimes if I eat too fast or too much. Rice, bread, etc sit hard if I eat more than a bite or two (I've only tried them a few times - a bite of a sushi roll, a bite of Pizza Crust, etc); but no vomiting, no dumping, nothing. The only thing I haven't tried yet from my 'normal' preop diet is alcohol or anything with carbonation, and I'll probably avoid those for quite a while longer.

My sleeve only changed how MUCH I can eat, not WHAT I can eat. Making the right choices is ALL on me :)

Thanks for your answers! I have a really specific mostly quite healthy diet, so I do hope I can keep eating the same healthy THINGS as now but just a whole lot less of them. I don't eat the SAD diet, already very low carb, hey I already just eat the top of the pizza slice, lol.

One of the reasons I picked the doctor I did was his staffs views on nutrition matched up with mine, healthy fats, Probiotics, etc.

Anyway, I would love not to get dumping. Let's see. ;)

It was a hard concept for me to get until I was post op a couple of months. WLS does not keep you from eating anything. After you heal you will, for the most part, be able to eat anything you want but in smaller quantities. I have absolutely no problem eating anything at all. With the exception of fried potatoes, which is ok with me.

You've probably heard it before but this surgery is a tool to help you learn the self control needed to maintain a healthy weight. Consequently, you will not succeed if you do not change your relationship with food. I still enjoy a good meal but it is a rare treat to indulge myself. I stick with my plan of 60-100g of Protein and less than 25g of carbs and ensuring I drink 64 oz Water a day. Staying within that guideline has worked for me. Occasionally I slip when I'm with family or friends but my new tool helps me to get back at it the next day.

I encourage you to use pre op and post op restrictions to evaluate your relationship with food. You will mourn the loss, regret your decision, and get angry because you did this to yourself. You experience the toughest breakup you have ever known. Your very emotional relationship with food must come to an end and it hurts like hell. But!!!! There is so much joy on the other side of that.

I drive through town and never think of running through a drive thru. I can prepare a meal for my family without "tasting" a full meals worth of calories. I can go to a movie and skip the buttered popcorn. These are concepts that I did not know existed.

You will get it. You will know exactly what I mean and it will be so freeing. I am amazed what I missed because eating was so important to me.

Good luck! And take care.

How beautifully written!

H 5'6" HW 253, CW 245, TBS 9/19