Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Concerned about Energy and Complications

Hello all

I am 61 and got my sleeve 6/5/17. I will be honest I have had no complications. The first two days was not fun but I had just had major surgery. I have no regrets. My loss is slow and I am happy with that. I am more active with more energy each day. Yes the first two weeks was exhausting but now on my fifth week I couldn't ask for more. I started at 256 and today I am at 218.

Stay away from the complications forum. It will only scare you.

On 6/21/2017 at 9:54 AM, Vivian Krueget said:

Hello everyone. I'll be having my sleeve surgery in August. I'm concerned about low energy and the horror stories I've been reading on the complications forum. I'm so worried I'll have complications and no energy according to some of the posts I've read. I'm a healthy 62 year old woman but I've had issues in the past from a laparoscopic gall bladder removal. It subsequently lead to 3 more hernia repair surgeries. I do want the sleeve so I can have a good quality of life in my golden years, and not sit around and end up in a wheelchair because of my weight. I weigh 237 now, started at 243. Weight just sticks to me. So I'm motivated but fearful. I suppose I need to stay away from the complications forum all together.

Any thoughts? I sure could use some positive vibes about now. Thank you to all.

I just turned 56. Had surgery 8/23/16 at 55. I'm down 99.5 pounds and was hobbling toward knee replacement . I had no complications after surgery. I was back at work less than a week after (I'm a desk jockey and only go into the office 2x week work from home other days).

Fear is OK. But, don't let it derail you. What can I do now?

I fence 4-5 hours a week, do TRX, walk, run, jump all without narcotics, which I needed before for my knee pain. Last year, Memorial Day, went with daughter 1 to University of Pittsburgh for a tour and had to quit the tour half way through (she completed it) because walking hurt too much. This year, just a few weeks ago at orientation, I didn't move the car from the hotel for the three days we were there and walked 5-7 miles daily with no adverse effects. In fact, worked out in the fitness center both nights.

Think about what you will be able to do. My orthopedic surgeon is stunned by the improvement in my knees - I still don't have cartilage in places (that won't change) but I think I'll be able to put off replacement for 10 years. Before, i was hoping to make it to 59. In part, I had the VSG so I could do my knees - he didn't want to do my knees until my BMI was under 40.

You've got this.

I just turned 56. Had surgery 8/23/16 at 55. I'm down 99.5 pounds and was hobbling toward knee replacement . I had no complications after surgery. I was back at work less than a week after (I'm a desk jockey and only go into the office 2x week work from home other days).
Fear is OK. But, don't let it derail you. What can I do now?
I fence 4-5 hours a week, do TRX, walk, run, jump all without narcotics, which I needed before for my knee pain. Last year, Memorial Day, went with daughter 1 to University of Pittsburgh for a tour and had to quit the tour half way through (she completed it) because walking hurt too much. This year, just a few weeks ago at orientation, I didn't move the car from the hotel for the three days we were there and walked 5-7 miles daily with no adverse effects. In fact, worked out in the fitness center both nights.
Think about what you will be able to do. My orthopedic surgeon is stunned by the improvement in my knees - I still don't have cartilage in places (that won't change) but I think I'll be able to put off replacement for 10 years. Before, i was hoping to make it to 59. In part, I had the VSG so I could do my knees - he didn't want to do my knees until my BMI was under 40.
You've got this.

Omg! You're an inspiration! Thank you so much. My knees are not so good but I know once the weight is off of them I'll be just like you! See, it's a story like yours that gets me uplifted and excited to do things I haven't been able to do in years and years. Bless you for your positive story. And congratulations on a great loss and wonderful attitude!

Hello all

I am 61 and got my sleeve 6/5/17. I will be honest I have had no complications. The first two days was not fun but I had just had major surgery. I have no regrets. My loss is slow and I am happy with that. I am more active with more energy each day. Yes the first two weeks was exhausting but now on my fifth week I couldn't ask for more. I started at 256 and today I am at 218.

Stay away from the complications forum. It will only scare you.

Great GREAT stats! Thank you for your feedback. Surgery coming up in September--thanks to your post and other positives I am gaining great confidence, knowing I'll be healthier, happier and able to move! Blessings and Peace to
You and yours. I appreciate your response! (you ve lost a lot for only 5 weeks!!)

I'm almost 3 weeks post op and I feel awesome! I'm so glad I did this. My legs have already stopped hurting when I walk. I'm so looking forward to the future and being able to run a 5K very soon! This is very exciting and just wonderful.

I’m 61 years old and 1-1/2 weeks post-surgery. Relatively good health prior except for the weight. This has been the hardest week of my life, but I knew it wasn’t going to be easy or without work and commitment. My energy is up and down. When I think I’m over the hump I’m back down again. Today is one of those days. My energy was great yesterday and today I’ve been in bed all day. BUT...Whenever I question my decision to have this surgery, which I have, I remember what the doctor told my family after the surgery. I would have had cirrhosis of the liver within 5 years had I not done this. And I had no idea. I am so thankful for this opportunity and that I finally did it. I know I will get through this and be all the better for it.