Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NO Carbonated beverages- FOREVER!

Just curious how people are holding up to this....I do not drink soda often at all. Honestly maybe 1 time a month or if I get sick I would have a sprite to settle my tummy. Now that I am not allowed to have it seems more tempting. Just wondering what others did to satisfy that need. Honestly I would rather have a club soda with lime....yum. I am sad to give up sparkling water...I drink Propel to switch it up. But I am open to other ideas, PLEASE! :)

For me, it was a rather easy choice.. keep drinking soda and wind up with liver cirrhosis (irreversible damage) in a few years, or stop and don't.

Soda in itself isn't horrific if you're having it in moderation.. it can certainly cause a stall so recommended not to touch it until you've plateaued.

But what got me into trouble was having 100oz 7-Eleven cups several times a week. Just devastating to the body. If you aren't having any major health issues on the side, I don't think it's imperative other than something to complement your weight loss, and for better permanent habits.

I think if we go with the mindset of "never ever ever ever ever" regarding things we previously enjoyed we're setting ourselves up to break that, and without restraint. I've not ruled out soda, but having zero drinks of soda since the day before my pre-op diet started (January 31st), I can tell I'm far better off. The psychoactive aspects of sugar and caffeine in the soda had a very prolonged effect on me throughout February -- I was shaky, irritable, tired, etc. -- even though mentally I did not want the soda seeing what it had done to me, my body still wanted it. I've figured next summer on a trip out to California I might have some Cherry Coke or something, but honestly I won't care if I don't.

So.. anyways, I've always liked Water. The only two things I ever drink anymore are water and milk, and I rarely have more than 1 cup a day of milk since 3 weeks out. I like water quite a bit, so it's not an issue of finding things to drink, I just can't have water at room temperature, has to be with a ton of ice and very cold. For me, soda was never something I could drink in moderation, but with all that I've learned, since pre-op I've changed the way I see food, drinks, etc. significantly and I force myself to portion less regardless of what I'm having.

People who are thinner but have the kind of metabolism to gain weight easily, I'd say probably stay away as much as you can, mainly because it doesn't take much carbs for the liver to start converting the excess to fat, especially at a low weight your body does not consume nearly as much energy just to function, so the need for carbs and cals is even more restricted unless you're doing rigorous exercise.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

Are you talking about regular soda, with sugar? Because I drink diet soda and I'm wondering if the "no soda post-surgery" is because of the carbonation or because of the sugar. I certainly wouldn't want to do anything bad for my liver but I really don't know what it is about soda that's bad for WLS patients.

Thank you very much for your thoughtful response. I have high hopes, I am excited to begin this journey! :)

Are you talking about regular soda, with sugar? Because I drink diet soda and I'm wondering if the "no soda post-surgery" is because of the carbonation or because of the sugar. I certainly wouldn't want to do anything bad for my liver but I really don't know what it is about soda that's bad for WLS patients.

My doctor strictly said NO carbonated beverages period. They feel that it could stretch the pouch. Also not good for you....which is obvious. But if I go through all this and stretch my pouch over a dumb soda I would be mad....this is just me of course. I also am not foolish to think that someday down the road I might have a sip of soda because I do not want to put that burden on myself if I did. But I am going to be strong and resist the urge.

I still won't drink anything carbonated. I think it is a personal choice that each of us have to decide yes or no. I am almost 4 years out and have not had 1 drink that has carbonation. Yesterday we went to our get together with family. They had Barbqued hamburgers and all the fixings with chips and dip and of course ice cold beer!! Before muy RNY if I drank (very rarely) my choice was COORS LIGHT!! Nogt had anything but I did have some wine. That is a different story. So as I a eating my hot dog (without anything on it) and my little tablespoon of potato salad, I said that I was extremely thristy. My SIL said why aren't you drinking. Which I said because I still try to follow all of my guidelines from my surgery!! She couldn't beleive that I still follow what I was told to keep myself at my goal weight of 125#'s. I also know that it hurts my pouch if I drink to soon. For me I try to stay on the safe side when we are out because I don't want to get sick around everyone. But I can share a few things that I use for drinking. I love love Diet Peach Snapple tea, the little packages flavored water packs work great for me. If you are missing soda they carry ROOT BEER (SF of course) Orange grape to state a few of them. These taste just lie pop without the carbonation. Great stuff. I guess what I was trying to say is only you can make the decsion if you will drink pop or not. Good Luck

Your doctor is correct, carbonated drinks can stretch the pouch. Just say no get some Crystal Light and enjoy. Another idea is to buy the soda, let it go flat then drink it.

Edited by Guest
Added info

I had a serious Diet Coke addiction for years and years -- worse than any food or carb addiction. I drank my usual 8-10 twelve ounce Diet Cokes every day during my six month pre-op diet program. I lost 99 pounds during that six months before surgery day, so I know that I can drink soda (to excess really) and still lose weight.

I have been soda-free since 3 days before my surgery last September 28. At this point (almost 9 months post-op), I very well may be able to tolerate carbonated drinks; however, I know that I can't bring them back. If I can tolerate Diet Coke, and have one today, I'll be back to 8-10 within a week.

Like carbs, I must abstain with soda less I become the Nikki Newman of Diet Coke (again)...

Sodas and other carbonated drinks will not stretch our sleeves or pouches. However, soda is not good for bariatric surgery patients due to a plethora of valid reasons:

https://provostbariatrics.com/can-you-really-stretch-your-pouch/

Screenshot 2017-06-19 at 5.49.07 PM.png

Dr Matthew Weiner has a great video about this topic, and states that carbonation stretching the stomach (especially a sleeve) is a myth. My surgeon also concurs.

The problem with soda are the CALORIES, NOT the carbonation. Empty, non nutritious calories are the fastest way to gain weight for a WLS patient because they go down so easily. It's silly to think the pressure from a few carbonation bubbles will "stretch" anything. Aside from the natural stretching that happens years out, it would take years of systematically over eating to the point of sickness to stretch a sleeve significantly because the fundus, or stretchy part, has been removed during surgery. Dr Weiner has no issues with carbonated waters or selzers as tolerated.

At 3.5 years post op, I drink carbonation periodically and can eat just as much as any one else as far out as me. It has not stretched anything. It's really time to put that myth to rest.

Edited by Greensleevie

I was a Coke Zero girl. Drank 30-60 oz a day. Even more if we were camping. I quit drinking it 2 weeks before my surgery but had a sip of it about 2 months post-op. It didn't even taste the same. I'm 3 1/2 months post-op and 4 months now without Coke Zero. I miss the burn of the fizz but that's about it. I'm a never say never kind of person but I don't think I will ever drink soda again.

My drink of choice is iced tea. I like it sweetened with Splenda or Stevia. Wish I could eliminate sweeteners completely but I like my tea sweet.

Yea the carbonation stretches your stomach is a myth that science has disproven. It's one of those axioms that some surgeons spread because it's easier than going into detail.

That said, carbonation irritates my stomach something fierce. OUCH!!!! Tried it accidentally (ok more like mindlessness at a party where I was finally relieved to find a NON alcoholic beverage so forgot mineral Water was sparkling). That was about six months post op. Haven't tried it since.

Was a HUGE Diet Pepsi drinker pre op. Haven't looked back!

I probably drink more Coke Zero after surgery than I did before surgery.

I don't drink carbonated drinks at all. Nor do I drink beverages that contain artificial sweeteners as they lead to weight gain (based on results from many scientific studies) and the chemicals have no nutritional value.