Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NO Carbonated beverages- FOREVER!

so this topic after 12 pages, basically shows us that:

1) everyone has their opinion (right or wrong)

2) some people drink diet/carbonated drinks with no issues

3) some people have issues drinking it.

4) people will sometimes fight about it.

5) most are really set in their ways and no one will convince them otherwise

I think we've seen enough and heard enough about it. It really should be locked, but since its not, I will just turn off notifications.

22 hours ago, tobiganymore said:

Hello its been 9 years since I had my surgery. I do not do any carbonation it is not because of sugar it is the carbonation. The gas it builds up it really hurts. As you go on your journey you will learn a lot of do's and don't.

When I tried a carbonated Water, I had that same issue. I was miserable until it resolved itself and that was done w/ Gas X, I'll never do that again.

Fact: Carbonated drinks will stretch your stomach!!!

......but only briefly :D.
After which you will either belch, or fart out the gas. Gas moving through the intestines is usually uncomfortable.

So after reading everyone's comments about carbonated beverages, I went and got myself a diet coke at lunch. I'm pre-surgery so I'm still okay. I don't usually drink soda pop but I thought well hey I better get one or two in before it's too late. MEH I'm not missing anything, I think this will be one of the easier things to give up, for myself anyway. Good luck everyone!

On 6/19/2017 at 2:10 PM, GenJones said:

Are you talking about regular soda, with sugar? Because I drink diet soda and I'm wondering if the "no soda post-surgery" is because of the carbonation or because of the sugar. I certainly wouldn't want to do anything bad for my liver but I really don't know what it is about soda that's bad for WLS patients.

I was told in my WLS orientation that caffeine, carbonated beverages (soda and seltzer water) & nicotine will aggravate the pouch over time. I don't know if I fully believe it because I've watched quite a few Youtube videos and people say they are drinking sodas and all kinds of stuff. I'm like "What, she drinking soda. WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I haven't had a problem giving up soda but seltzer Water made me sad...:47_tired_face:

I think you'll do yourself the best good by sticking to the Doc's recommendations and have a nice sugar free beverage.

Okay well this post is scary. I love my diet coke. It is sorta like my crutch. Something sweet without the calories. I don't mind giving them up, cos really it's just a drink. But.. What about as a mixer after!? How will I have my bourbon and coke? I probably won't drink for 6+ months out, but I'm only 26! Can't rule out soft drink forever

Sent from my LG-H850 using BariatricPal mobile app

You don't have to rule it out forever, just remember for the first 6 months or so.. and not for nothing, juice is great with alcohol. Screwdrivers, gin and juice, cranberry and vodka... all great. LOL

I too was told, no carbonation drinks of any kind, forever! After reaching my four-month mark, after my sleeve, I had a sip of diet soda. It wasn't too bad, it's been a year, I will just take a few sips here and there just for that damn carbonation feel! Sometimes I just swish it around, and spit it out.

Sent from my LG-H740 using BariatricPal mobile app

On 8/4/2017 at 10:58 PM, NuNu2005 said:

I was told in my WLS orientation that caffeine, carbonated beverages (soda and seltzer water) & nicotine will aggravate the pouch over time. I don't know if I fully believe it because I've watched quite a few Youtube videos and people say they are drinking sodas and all kinds of stuff. I'm like "What, she drinking soda. WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I haven't had a problem giving up soda but seltzer Water made me sad...:47_tired_face:

I think you'll do yourself the best good by sticking to the Doc's recommendations and have a nice sugar free beverage.

This past weekend I was watching My 600 lb Life the Zssalynn episode and she said she drinks a soda every now and then. After she told Dr.Now he said that sodas -I'm assuming all carbonation- will stretch your pouch. I'm staying away from it. I know it does fill you up because I used to love drinking seltzer Water with meals because it fills you up therefore you can't eat as much - i was able to lose 47 lbs. with this method but apparently its a no go once you are Pre Op and after you have the procedure.

While I like Dr Now, the science doesn't support that. He's part of that old school guard that lays down rules and some scare tactics rather than sharing the research and what might be best choices.

That said, I'm four years out and accidentally had carbonation last night (my gin and Water was switched with hubbys gin and tonic) and OUCH. Still hurts.

I am addicted to Diet Coke. I have stopped drinking it because I figured that I better do that before surgery. I can understand the soda can cause some people to eat more because the food goes through pouch faster and makes you hungry faster. I have read about people drinking soda after surgery and gaining weight. Why take a chance?