Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ketogenic diet post sleeve?

Hi guys. I'm almost 2 years post sleeve. I've been hearing a lot about ketogenic diets and know people who have had great weight loss success. I've been thinking about trying it as I have about 20 lbs more that I would like to loose. However it seems like it's a low Protein diet and protein protein protein has been drilled into me so hard I'm not sure if this is a good diet for post op folks.

Is anyone on this diet, any advise?

I have followed a Keto way of eating since the beginning of my six month insurance-required diet (including during the post-op food stages). I like it because it is a sustainable way of eating for me and it meets the protein-heavy requirements of post-op life.

I love it -- and have lost over 200 pounds embracing this style of eating!

Good luck!

I'm a month post op today and following this way of eating as well and I love it. I'm rarely hungry and when I am I thoroughly enjoy my food. I've lost the desire for carbs and am starting to get some energy back. Hoping once I'm fully healed I will get all my energy back.
My wife has been eating this way for a month and a half and has lost 20lbs (no WLS). It works for me.

I have decided to stick with this way of eating long term also. It works well with my desire to keep my blood sugars normal without medications. I feel really great so I don't really see a need to change what is working. Most days I am under 20g net carbs and I have zero cravings for them now.

I am still researching this type of diet and I have a lot to learn still.

6 hours ago, Sophie74656 said:

Hi guys. I'm almost 2 years post sleeve. I've been hearing a lot about ketogenic diets and know people who have had great weight loss success. I've been thinking about trying it as I have about 20 lbs more that I would like to loose. However it seems like it's a low Protein diet and Protein protein protein has been drilled into me so hard I'm not sure if this is a good diet for post op folks.

Is anyone on this diet, any advise?

Keto is not a LOW Protein diet. It is high protein, high fat, low carb way of life. I love it! I do however watch my fat and don't do as much as they say too. But I have no cravings for carbs at all. I make all kinds of yummy food (Pinterest Keto) that the whole family loves. Want to see an actual VSG person on Keto, get on youtube and search for "watch kitty shrink" she does nothing but Keto and looks amazing!

Good luck!

I ate Keto pre-op and plan to resume after I am healed. I will do low carb, high Protein, moderate fat. My husband (normal weight athlete) does low carb, high fat. We will be on similar eating plans which will be a lifesaver. We can cook one meal, and he can add extra fat to his plate only.

We have found this to be a sustainable way of eating. And it is right in line with my NUT recommendations.

11 hours ago, char3672 said:

I'm new to all of this, I just had surgery 6 days ago. What is the difference between Keto and Paleo?

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

I don't know much about the Paleo diet, but I do know that the Paleo lets you have potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, and other vegetables that are not allowed on Keto due to too high in carbs.

I try to limit my self to 15-25 grams of carbs a day and keep my Protein to the 85g my doctor and Nut suggested. I don't add the extra fats like keto suggests, but I know people that do and are losing really well.

Edited by samiam67

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:52 AM, char3672 said:

I'm new to all of this, I just had surgery 6 days ago. What is the difference between Keto and Paleo?

My understanding on keto is shaky but I know Paleo.

Paleo takes the approach of only eating food that was accessible prior to the onset of agriculture. So no potatoes, no bread, no rice, no corn. Also, no dairy. Only grass fed or free range meat. There isn't any focus on macros. You basically eat until full whenever you feel like eating. A good resource to look into on it is nerdfitness.

Keto seems to be pretty much like paleo, but with more focus on macros. So you eat the same things, but you focus on making sure you are getting a certain amount of fat and Protein in.

Thank you for the idea, I looked it up,but I don't want to have to buy special things to be able to make the food. I am on a VERY tight budget.

Keto is easy but because of the meat can be expensive but since we eat so little it won't be bad for us. I love it. I eat low carb, high Protein, high fat. It's such a strange way to eat because it goes against everything I've learned but it works for me! It helps the appetite and fills me up. I am incredibly carb sensitive (thyroid issues and pre diabetic) and this way of eating curbs carb cravings. Look into it. I plan to eat this way long term!