Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vitamins = vomiting???

I'm 6 days post op with the sleeve. Started my Multivitamin today....Bariatric Advantage chewable. Less than 10 minutes after taking, I started vomiting. Feel a little better now but still nauseous. hoping this is just due to taking on on empty stomach. Will try tomorrow after taking a Protein Shake.

Problem due to empty stomach? Find a new Vitamin? Any thoughts?

I have same problem. if I take after some Protein I'm good. I have hard time getting all the fluids in and I feel so frustrated because all meats make me vomit. And when people around me are like see this is why you shouldn't have had surgery, it kinda hurts, but I went from having to give myself insulin shots to no diabetes meds at all. So even though I get frustrated it is definitely a lot better than my disabled son finding me in dka(diabetic ketoacidosis) and scared out of his mind with fear. I just feel different than all my friends now. You can also do the protein in pudding and then take vitamins..hope this helps..

Did you ask your doc if you should be taken them this soon after surgery?

It happens, some Vitamins or meds, in some people, don't react the best on an empty stomach. Right after surgery you're on liquids which pass right through the stomach, and not having stuff all the time, so it's very likely you're constantly on an empty stomach. It should go away when starting on soft solids and normal diet.

I started taking vitamins the very morning after discharge. The occasional nausea feeling shortly after having it happened to me until soft solids stage.

6 hours ago, Lannie said:

hoping this is just due to taking on on empty stomach. Will try tomorrow after taking a Protein Shake.

Problem due to empty stomach? Find a new Vitamin? Any thoughts?

It's somewhat pointless to take a multivitamin on an empty stomach. A multivitamin needs to be taken with food to facilitate proper absorption.

Multivitamins contain the fat-soluble Vitamins A, D, E and K. If you don't swallow your multivitamin with food, these fat-soluble vitamins will not be absorbed by your body correctly.

Oh empty stomach for sure! Even at four years out that will make me nauseous!

The doctor said to start the vitamin...but was more focused on fluids and Protein at discharge . I may wait a couple more days...I start soft foods on Wednesday and have my 1week follow up. Thanks