Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Son with autism afraid he might accidentally hurt me

I am one week post op. I have a son with severe autism. My husband has been keeping him away from me as he is aggressive at times and has kicked me in the stomach before. He also likes to play by putting his feet up to you for you to do this little piggy. He often sticks his feet into your stomach while doing this. The only incident we have had so far is when he tried to sit in my lap. He is almost 14 years old. How long are my incisions going to be sore. I'm going to have to start caring for him in one week, husband has to go back to work.

My incisions hurt for about 3 weeks. You will have to be extra vigilant, maybe cover with a pillow?

I was also going to recommend strapping a pillow on your belly. If he's apt to REALLY kick you, you'll need something solid akin to body armor. (You'd want it even without surgery!)

I used to care for a 84 year old alzheimers patient. Dude would punch, kick, and the like..with all his might..and he was STRONG. If your son was like that, I would strap HIS feet down while I was hanging out with him to keep me safe. I know restraints are frowned upon, but at some point...

You wouldn't have to be mean about it.. play "mummy" and wrap him all up.

it's gonna be for about a month or 6 weeks that you need to take extra care.

10 hours ago, Zadruga said:

I am one week post op. I have a son with severe autism. My husband has been keeping him away from me as he is aggressive at times and has kicked me in the stomach before. He also likes to play by putting his feet up to you for you to do this little piggy. He often sticks his feet into your stomach while doing this. The only incident we have had so far is when he tried to sit in my lap. He is almost 14 years old. How long are my incisions going to be sore. I'm going to have to start caring for him in one week, husband has to go back to work.

Maybe wear a back support thing that wraps around you, it'll protect your stomach a little

Respite care?

Seminar 12/27/16: wt 304
Surgery 3/23: wt 287
8 weeks post op 249

I was sore for a while, I like the back brace idea. If he could hurt your incision area than take the precautions you need. You can be injured right now.

My 5 year old daughter hit me on my stomach maybe a week out (if that), woke me up from being dead asleep. Horrible pain, my poor daughter has been so careful around me won't give me a hug anywhere near my stomach. Make sure you sleep with one eye open lol....

My incisions were only sore for 5 days. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son gets respite care 6 hours a day.

On 6/19/2017 at 2:41 PM, Tarno3 said:

Respite care?

Seminar 12/27/16: wt 304
Surgery 3/23: wt 287
8 weeks post op 249

My son gets respite care six hours a day.

My external incisions were mostly healed at the 2 week mark - but the surgeon told me that the internal stitches can take up to 6 weeks to heal. I remember trying to exercise at the 4 week mark - deep pain for days afterward. My body just wasn't ready.

If you can get something to protect your stomach for a month or so, I would do it! I had a belly brace that was pretty solid. I didn't end up using it much, but it was a nice support.