Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WLS for a sugar/carb addict and binger?

On 8/10/2017 at 6:23 PM, Yettid said:

I'm unsure what is so confusing about this. I overeat as I'm sure all of us do. I prefer sweets and I will compulsively eat them and crave them. I do not have BED but I do binge eat (per my Dr). As Jess commented, WLS CHANGES a lot more than the size of your stomach. It changes hormones and food tolerances as well as many other things. Of course I know I won't be successful and eat sweets. My question was whether the physiological changes would help the cravings. I'm not saying I should or shouldn't have WLS but please, get you info straight before you make unsolicited medical advice.

If you're easily insulted or offended, I'd highly suggest you not address a range of different people, w/ different views. :) I hope your day has been a beautiful one, be well dear.

Yettid,

I can't say yes physiological changes stopped my cravings. I also can't say 'no, they didn't. I don't believe anyone here can offer assurance that VSG or any other alphabet Soup is going to do the trick for ANYONE here. We can encourage you and say how it helps or didnt for ourselves but we have no clue how it will affect you and the choices you make pre and post surgery. I don't know where you are now on your journey but hope you will understand why I, at least, am unable to offer a definitive answer to your excellent question.

Good luck

Everything you said is true. However, how does a person know what category they are going to fall into before surgery? Some people never reach their goal because they never addressed the mental side of their food issues.
I think when giving advice it is best to make it general and suggest all things that can help them be successful or share what has worked for you as an individual. The person reading can decide if what you posted resonates and would be helpful.
Personally the first things I did when researching the VSG was read the threads of people having problems with regain or not reaching their goal. I wanted to know ahead of time what not to do. Then I looked for the success stories to learn what works. We are all individuals so we have to apply what is going to work for us through trial and error. My sleeve is very restricting right now and I haven't had any cravings. Maybe I will be a lucky one and not ever have to worry, but I am not counting on that.
I never meant for anyone to take any of this conversation personally. I am a scientist by trade so I am used to looking at data objectively and without emotions.

For what it's worth, I think your posts are well written, well thought out, and provide excellent generalized information. Please don't stop posting because one person takes something you wrote personally. It was clear to me that you weren't singling anyone out, that you were simply trying to provide information the poster requested. Thanks for your posts. I found them very helpful.

Thanks for the info. I guess the question is, in a few years, Will the sleeve be enough to help you say no to bad foods, forever. I've lost 80lbs before and kept it off for 3 years. Only to gain it all back[emoji30]

No. It will not make you say no to bad foods forever. It is just a surgery. As several people have posted, the mental/emotional part of the adjustment is also a crucial part of sustaining a healthy lifestyle and weight loss. You have said that you've tried everything, but have you really tried therapy to deal with your eating issues? If you are this unsure, then maybe you should consider working on that aspect first. I did. I spent 2 years in weekly therapy working on my eating issues before I felt I was at the point where surgery would be a good tool for me. From what you have said, and repeated, it sounds to me like you want someone to give you absolute assurance that you'll never eat a pound of chocolate again if you have the surgery. No one can say that or provide that assurance.

5 hours ago, SandraD_PDX said:

Thanks for your posts. I found them very helpful.

Thank you for your kind words Sandra.

No. It will not make you say no to bad foods forever. It is just a surgery. As several people have posted, the mental/emotional part of the adjustment is also a crucial part of sustaining a healthy lifestyle and weight loss. You have said that you've tried everything, but have you really tried therapy to deal with your eating issues? If you are this unsure, then maybe you should consider working on that aspect first. I did. I spent 2 years in weekly therapy working on my eating issues before I felt I was at the point where surgery would be a good tool for me. From what you have said, and repeated, it sounds to me like you want someone to give you absolute assurance that you'll never eat a pound of chocolate again if you have the surgery. No one can say that or provide that assurance.

I am in therapy and working on my eating issues. I do hope that this will help me be successful. I'm aware there are no guarantees. I want to gather as much info as possible before I decide. The unknown is terrifying and I'm hoping for a definitive answer where there isn't one .thank you for the info [emoji3]

I share your sense of terror. Don't think anyone who has opted for it doesn't go thru the same turmoil. I have been in therapy for most of my life. I keep finding challenges and changes. I still need support. At this stage, 5 years post surgery, I'm still waiting "for the other shoe to drop". I have a new perspective: only dread one day at a time. You WILL make a decision one way or the other. The choice is there: keep doing what I'm doing [not too effective] or try something different [yiiikes] and learn to live with THOSE consequences. The point being whatever YOU decide will have consequences. The familiar are easier to deal with....tge unfamiliar give you a chance to change. I took a chance on me. I'm not sorry I did it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

I share your sense of terror. Don't think anyone who has opted for it doesn't go thru the same turmoil. I have been in therapy for most of my life. I keep finding challenges and changes. I still need support. At this stage, 5 years post surgery, I'm still waiting "for the other shoe to drop". I have a new perspective: only dread one day at a time. You WILL make a decision one way or the other. The choice is there: keep doing what I'm doing [not too effective] or try something different [yiiikes] and learn to live with THOSE consequences. The point being whatever YOU decide will have consequences. The familiar are easier to deal with....tge unfamiliar give you a chance to change. I took a chance on me. I'm not sorry I did it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you for the profound words:). I think I'm ready to take a chance on me. ~doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result =Insanity~

Grin. Keep us posted!