Hello everyone

10 posts in this topic

I'm new here just indroducing myself. After months and months of research and weight loss to only re-gain I've decided WLS is the way to go! I am 50 years young mother of 3 wonderful men and grandmother to 8 amazing grandchildren.

I've been battling obesity for what seems like forever. After my 3rd son and a tubal ligation and also a gallbladder removal the weight packed on. I've done fad diets, exercise and Alli, orlistat and it seems as though I'll lose 20-30 lbs then plateau and put it back on. I've tried Herbalife and other shakes to help maintain weight. It all kinda works for a short time then the weight comes back!!!! (plus 5lbs)

I always thought I would not qualify because I don't over eat.. Hmm

Upon all my research I have learned I may not over eat but I sure as heck comfort eat. I eat when I'm bored or because it's there and when I feel depressed NOT because I'm hungry.

Sure I want to be healthier. My mother suffered a stroke before the age of 60. Both of my grandparents were over weight no health problems and passed due to a heart attack. I don't want to go out that way!

I don't know how you guys feel and or felt but I am miserable. I'm always the fattest one in the room. I'm tired of being cautious to take a seat.. Always worried if it will support all 279lbs of me. I'm also self conscious about being in public.

What led me to this decision was out of the mouths of babes..

My 7yr old grandson called something on his video game "fat" and instantly said I'm not talking about you Nana. Then he proceeded to say I'd never say that about you even though you are the fattest person in our family. It was crushing but it really opened my eyes to the fact it was time to get something done about this.

I went to my seminar June 8th and got the ball rolling. I have told my immediate family excluding my mother since she's judgemental and I'm not sure how to deal with her at the moment lol.

My husband isn't supportive at all he could care less. The other family members think I'm being extreme but I don't care about their opinions I asked for support!

My responses were from silence to you don't need to go that far.

Anyway that's me and my situation in a nutshell.

I'm extremely excited to begin my journey rather solo or with support I'm looking forward to my new lifestyle and a new and improved me.

Sent from my LGMS330 using BariatricPal mobile app

U can't make everyone happy unless your happy and getting healthy is what counts!

U can't make everyone happy unless your happy and getting healthy is what counts!

You're absolutely right!! I don't let it get me down. Believe me when I say I'm determined and ready! As far as I'm concerned I've waited too long lol

Hi ! I can relate to your post .I had my surgery done 1/30/17 and it was seriously the best decision I've made .
I am down 63 pounds and feel so great ! It seems overwhelming at times but looking at the big picture it's so worth it and the adjustment to this new lifestyle is so much easier than I anticipated. Try not to worry to much and take the leap . You'll be glad you did

I'm looking forward to it! The surgeons office called yesterday. I should be hearing from them today about some appointments. I'm thrilled to be getting started.

It sounds like you're off to a great start @merriw congrats on your weight loss!!!

You will be pleased with the choices you have made. You have to carry the weight around with you no one else.

You will be pleased with the choices you have made. You have to carry the weight around with you no one else.

I absolutely agree with you. I know it's the right choice for me. It's time to think about myself and a healthier lifestyle. This tool will be a new beginning.

1 hour ago, StartingFreshNana said:

I absolutely agree with you. I know it's the right choice for me. It's time to think about myself and a healthier lifestyle. This tool will be a new beginning.

You're welcome. It is easy for others to make opinions and impose sanction when they aren't going through any issues or have a clue to how you feel. I say brava to you.

Hi FreshNana
Good for you for taking this step. Peoples opinions do vary ... but who cares . It is your life your body your decision and most importantly your health!! You want to be around for all those blessings you have .
My big day is June 23 ! Only 3 days away. Hello nerves! I am excited too. I can't wait to feel what being 100 lbs lighter is like. How much easier Moving through my everyday life will be .
It won't always be easy, but things that are worth it rarely are !! I can relate to the the emotional eating .. it has been VERY apparent during this pre-op 2 wk diet! But I am glad to learn that now so that we can arm ourselves with the best strategies to overcome the challenges when they come!
Best of luck to you and all of us embarking on this important life journey !

Hi FreshNana
Good for you for taking this step. Peoples opinions do vary ... but who cares . It is your life your body your decision and most importantly your health!! You want to be around for all those blessings you have .
My big day is June 23 ! Only 3 days away. Hello nerves! I am excited too. I can't wait to feel what being 100 lbs lighter is like. How much easier Moving through my everyday life will be .
It won't always be easy, but things that are worth it rarely are !! I can relate to the the emotional eating .. it has been VERY apparent during this pre-op 2 wk diet! But I am glad to learn that now so that we can arm ourselves with the best strategies to overcome the challenges when they come!
Best of luck to you and all of us embarking on this important life journey !

Good for you!!!! Keep me posted on your surgery. I'm nervous but the excitement surpasses the nervousness lol
I'm just waiting on my appointments. They should be calling today. (fingers crossed)
I don't allow others opinions to influence me. As you said it's my body, my life and my health.