Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 months post op - discouraged

I have also tried to keep my calories a bit higher. I thought it would keep the Hair loss at bay. No such luck, but my loss is pretty steady, stalls included. I am a huge fan of Peanut Butter, but with the sleeve 1 tsp. on a piece of wheat toast hits the spot. 😊

1 hour ago, YeaMe said:

I don't believe that low calorie restriction will ruin a metabolism.

Your doc said this? This is how I gained weight the past 8 years. :(

I'm struggling to eat more throughout the day myself. I'm one month post. I'm getting about 450 cal maybe? I'll have to keep a head count it seems...really hate counting. BUT if I have to do it, I will.

Edited by Newme17

1 hour ago, Newme17 said:

Your doc said this? This is how I gained weight the past 8 years. :(

Newme17 - Yes he did, as well as the nutritionist. That's when I realized I was going to have to come up with my own plan. I will definitely still go by their number of grams of Protein, etc. they recommend. My last visit, last week, the nutritionist said I needed to get more fat. I was skeptical at first, but then realized I eat solely protein, except for an occasional carb (meaning 2 crackers). I'm taking the ridiculously priced bariatric Vitamins and will continue to do so until I can eat more and have a well-balanced diet. Hopefully then I can switch to a "normal" Vitamin.

4 minutes ago, YeaMe said:

Newme17 - Yes he did, as well as the nutritionist. That's when I realized I was going to have to come up with my own plan. I will definitely still go by their number of grams of Protein, etc. they recommend. My last visit, last week, the nutritionist said I needed to get more fat. I was skeptical at first, but then realized I eat solely Protein, except for an occasional carb (meaning 2 crackers). I'm taking the ridiculously priced bariatric Vitamins and will continue to do so until I can eat more and have a well-balanced diet. Hopefully then I can switch to a "normal" Vitamin.

Good for you for realizing that you'll have to do your own plan. I'm just astonished that the doc and nut would have this way of thinking. I mean, it's like "everybody knows" that is one way to really screw your body up...long term low calories. Wow.

57 minutes ago, Newme17 said:

Good for you for realizing that you'll have to do your own plan. I'm just astonished that the doc and nut would have this way of thinking. I mean, it's like "everybody knows" that is one way to really screw your body up...long term low calories. Wow.

I agree completely and that is why I am paying attention to how many calories I am eating right now. It would be very easy to be consuming only 400-600 calories because we are eating so little. I have noticed on days I do especially well hydrating I eat less and that means less calories. It makes me nervous because my metabolism is already screwed up enough.

9 hours ago, Melissa315 said:

I am 3 months post op as of yesterday and I'm starting to think I don't eat enough calories a day....I've tried to increase it but I get full so fast and if I start having "snacks" throughout the day I definitely won't meet my Water needs. Living in AZ I'm very concerned about making sure I get enough Water. My rate of loosing has been great but I am slowing down. Yesterday I only had about 450 calories. Any advice? I do see my surgeon for my 3 month in Monday as well (although my lab results I got yesterday were not terrible!)

450 is really low for three months out. I was at around 600-800 then - sometimes even up to 900.

450 is really low for three months out. I was at around 600-800 then - sometimes even up to 900.

Really you don't say...I wouldn't have asked for advice on how to up it if I wasn't concerned!!!

7 minutes ago, Melissa315 said:

Really you don't say...I wouldn't have asked for advice on how to up it if I wasn't concerned!!!

sorry. I can't figure out how to delete my post.

On 6/17/2017 at 8:29 AM, New Me 31317 said:

How do I get more calories? I am doing one shake and 4 small meals per day (600-700 cals and 70-80 grams of Protein per day)

Add in fat - full fat cheese sticks, 2% yogurt instead of no fat, 2% milk instead of skim.

This post is getting me a bit nervous now; my plan calls for less than 500 calories/day for 1 year or until I reach 75% excess weight lost.

This post is getting me a bit nervous now; my plan calls for less than 500 calories/day for 1 year or until I reach 75% excess weight lost.

Follow your plan! My doctor said not to let what others are doing influence my goals or pace. I am 3.5 months post op and he still only has me between 450-600 calories. He wants me to focus more on my Protein intake than anything else and I've already lost 65% of my excess weight! Down 100lbs since I started this adventure in September 2016. (That is when I started my 6 month monthly weight loss visits)

I'm about 15 weeks out, and have been eating over 1000cal since week 4. I'm now doing around 1250. I could eat quite a few more, but am stopping at that.

My first month, I lost 17lbs, 2nd month, 13lbs, and 3rd month, 8lbs. So I'd hazard a guess that my higher calories combined with only sporadic exercise has really resulted in slow-ish losses. I am going to work into more exercise, but plan on leaving the calories alone for now.

Overall, I am thrilled.. 60lbs down as of today (including preop)!

What I've found, is I can drink right up until I eat.. just wait about 5 minutes between my last sip and my first bite. That really helps fit in my 3 meals and a snack, while keeping hydrated. I do wait for at least 30 minutes or an hour before resuming drinking though.

As for the Peanut Butter issue, I weigh out 1oz of peanut butter and put it into a separate container. For convenience, I do a whole jar that way at once, so I can just grab a little container and go. That controls my consumption. (No toast for me.. just straight off my spoon or on celery). That is my daily snack.. that or an ounce of nuts or seeds.

On 6/30/2017 at 8:29 PM, d6g007 said:

less than 500 calories/day for 1 year or until I reach 75% excess weight lost.

@d6g007

ummmm

500 calories a day for one year???

i'm having problems with that!!!

hard for me to wrap my head with that

answer:wacko:

good luck bud

kathy