Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 months post op - discouraged

I have only lost 37 pounds....i say "only" because i expected it too be a bit more by now. I eat about 600-700 calories per day (including one Protein shake) and usually average between 65 and 75 grams of protein. If I need to increase calories, I am all for it; however, I don't know how to fit it all in...any tips or suggestions are really appreciated. (My surgery weight was 232 and I am 195 now, i hoped to be at 180 by now ☹️)

When is the last time you lost an average of 12+ pounds per month through the old-fashioned way of diet and exercise? 37 pounds is a little more than 12 pounds monthly.

You're actually losing faster than me. I lost 33.5 pounds at 3 months post-sleeve.

What matters is the fact that I'm 2+ years out and maintaining a 100+ pound weight loss, whereas many people in my shoes who lost faster have started to regain. It's not the speed or rate of weight loss that matters. What really matters is your ability to keep it off.

I should also mention that I eat 2000+ calories per day in maintenance, while those who kept their intake too low for too long seem to struggle with regain.

Good luck to you. :)

Your rate of weight loss will depend on the type of surgery you had. I had RNY gastric bypass surgery and the weight dropped off quickly but I leveled off and slid into maintenance phase at 7 months. Sleeve patients lose weight at a much slower pace, encounter many stalls along the way. They can achieve almost the same amount of weight loss as RNY patients but it may take them a couple years to reach that weight loss.

rate of weight loss varies a lot between people for a whole host of reasons. One big one I see with you is that you're what we call a "lightweight". Lightweights don't lose as fast as someone who starts out at 300+ lbs. There are other factors - gender, activity level, age, metabolism rate, genetics, whether or not you lost a lot of weight pre-surgery - that will affect your rate of weight loss. I was a "slow loser" from the get-go, and look where I ended up. Your commitment to your program will have a *much* greater impact on your success than your rate of weight loss.

30 minutes ago, Introversion said:

What matters is the fact that I'm 2+ years out and maintaining a 100+ pound weight loss, whereas many people in my shoes who lost faster have started to regain. It's not the speed or rate of weight loss that matters. What really matters is your ability to keep it off.

I should also mention that I eat 2000+ calories per day in maintenance, while those who kept their intake too low for too long seem to struggle with regain.

Introversion - Out of curiosity, what was your calorie range during weight loss?

14 minutes ago, YeaMe said:

Introversion - Out of curiosity, what was your calorie range during weight loss?

Months 1 through 3 = about 800 kcals/day

Months 4 through 6 = about 1000 to 1200 kcals/day

Months 7 through 9 = about 1200 to 1500 kcals/day

By 12 months out = about 1700 kcals/day

By 18 months out = 1800 to 2200 kcals/day

I purposely increased my caloric intake in a stepwise pattern per the suggestion of a veteran who once posted on this site frequently. While this tactic may have led to slower weight loss, I am thrilled about being able to maintain a body weight of 118 to 120 pounds on 2000+ calories daily.

I suspect the incremental increases in my caloric intake helped preserve my metabolism.

Just now, Introversion said:

I purposely increased my caloric intake in a stepwise pattern per the suggestion of a veteran who once posted on this site frequently. While this tactic may have led to slower weight loss, I am thrilled about being able to maintain a body weight of 118 to 120 pounds on 2000+ calories daily.

I suspect the incremental increases in my caloric intake helped preserve my metabolism.

Introversion, so glad to read this. Every surgeon has their take on what should be done. Mine said, I will never tell you to eat more calories and I don't believe that low calorie restriction will ruin a metabolism. While I am losing, I have to jolt myself periodically from the 850 I am now eating to continue losing. I'm 23lbs from goal and want to start increasing my calories (though I feel like I eat all day to get in 850). I want to increase my daily intake so that I can up my workout intensity. With 850, I just don't have the stamina that I hope additional (healthy) calories would help provide. I am currently on a 10 lb a month weight loss which I am thrilled with and would be fine going down to 5 lb a month for the remainder. Thanks for the information - gives me hope!

I am 3 months post op as of yesterday and I'm starting to think I don't eat enough calories a day....I've tried to increase it but I get full so fast and if I start having "snacks" throughout the day I definitely won't meet my Water needs. Living in AZ I'm very concerned about making sure I get enough water. My rate of loosing has been great but I am slowing down. Yesterday I only had about 450 calories. Any advice? I do see my surgeon for my 3 month in Monday as well (although my lab results I got yesterday were not terrible!)

I'm 8 months out and have averaged a weight loss of 16 pounds per month. I eat somewhere between 1200 - 1500 daily.

At 3 months I was told to be beteen 800 - 1000 calories. The way you get it in is to eat 5 small meals a day - every 3 hours or so. That's the plan I was given by my NUT and it seems to be working very well for me. Don't forget to eat some good fats - nuts, olive oil, nut butters. I'm allowed 3 servings daily. They are good for you and help get that calorie count up.

I'm 8 months out and have averaged a weight loss of 16 pounds per month. I eat somewhere between 1200 - 1500 daily.
At 3 months I was told to be beteen 800 - 1000 calories. The way you get it in is to eat 5 small meals a day - every 3 hours or so. That's the plan I was given by my NUT and it seems to be working very well for me. Don't forget to eat some good fats - nuts, olive oil, nut butters. I'm allowed 3 servings daily. They are good for you and help get that calorie count up.

Every 3 hours sounds easier then it is turning out to be ☹️ Everyone suggests the good fats, I use Olive Oil when cooking but don't eat nuts nor nut butters. I am not a fan of anything but Peanut Butter and I haven't allowed myself to have it yet. (I have a tendency of over eating it). I get enough Protein bc that is mostly all I eat.

This is exactly how I want to approach this. I'm almost a month out and inching toward 800 calories. Mostly through food. I could stay here happily for a while but I'm going to consciously try to inch up at three months. I'm so worried about ruining my metabolism. I'm saving this.

Every 3 hours sounds easier then it is turning out to be ☹️ Everyone suggests the good fats, I use Olive Oil when cooking but don't eat nuts nor nut butters. I am not a fan of anything but Peanut Butter and I haven't allowed myself to have it yet. (I have a tendency of over eating it). I get enough Protein bc that is mostly all I eat.

I'm the same way with peanut butter. I have to stay away from it too.

3 minutes ago, Joann454 said:

This is exactly how I want to approach this. I'm almost a month out and inching toward 800 calories. Mostly through food. I could stay here happily for a while but I'm going to consciously try to inch up at three months. I'm so worried about ruining my metabolism. I'm saving this.

This is my plan also. I have thyroid issues as it is and I don't want to risk my metabolism with too few calories.