Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there,
New to this forum but don't feel like I have any other place to go.
I just want to emphasize that this post and forum is a judgement free, genuine place for like minded people
I really don't want a lecture about how I am "poisoning" my body or going to all this effort to "ruin it." Whilst I respect these types of opinions, I don't need them here as I want to know if there are like-minded individuals out there who are willing to share their experience.
I guess this is me more asking questions and wanting advice than telling my story so I'm not really sure where to start...
Firstly, I've been smoking marijuana for about 6 years, it's beneficial for me as it calms me (suffering from depression), keeps me creative and helps keep my binge eating under control (I know, contrary to poplar belief but everyone is different and that's okay.)
Being in a country (Aus) where marijuana is illegal and also having a surgeon who is close with your family makes it very difficult for me to talk about this to them as most doctors, nurses and surgeons will give you the classic spiel of just not smoking, which is fair.
Anyway, I'm saying all this because I want to know how long I should be waiting before I start smoking again? I was thinking around 6 weeks post as I should be healed up by then but wondered if anyone has had experience with this?
I just want to clarify. I don't drink alcohol and don't plan on drinking again after surgery and have never touched tobacco/cigarettes in my life however, being a millennial who likes to go out with her friends, I do enjoy experimenting every now and then with more "harder" recreational drugs however, that I don't plan on doing at least 6-12 months after surgery.
So, after this massive basically I want to hear your stories, all my stoner friends out there (medicinal or recreational) let me know, how long you waited, if you noticed anything different and if your relationship with food was effected + any other experiences you may have.
Again, I want to emphasize that this is a safe, judgment free zone and please refrain from commenting if you disagree with any part of this post and my lifestyle choices.
Thanks!

I suggest a nice tea with raw honey and cinnamon to help your belly heal. At least, that was what I did as soon as I got out of the hospital. I also smoked the old-fashioned way with no problems less than 48 hours post op.

Do you think it's ok to vape

I don't see why you would need to wait too long. When I return from my surgery trip, 3-4 days after surgery, I will renew putting my CBD oil (made with small amount of thc) under my tongue at bedtime. Not crossing state lines carrying.

I would take this this time to give up smoking forever if I were you and switch to vaping because smoking is bad for you, but you already know that. :)

I take it for pain prevention so I have to take it nightly to keep away the Migraines. So I don't plan on taking more than a week off. If you get impaired from cannabis, make sure you're not already impaired from your pst surg pain meds. You don't want to be dizzy or fall etc. Be smart. You will be fine.

I appreciate the post. I use it for medicinal purposes (PTSD and EXTREME night terrors) and didn't take back up for awhile but mostly because I had so many complications and didn't even think of it. Smoke chokes me in general so I've done oils and edibles. My biggest issue talking about it is I don't want the scattered whispers or people to not refer patients to me because they fall on the opposed side and have an issue with it.

I had surgery on 8/10. Before that I bought myself a firefly2 vaporizer. I have PTSD and night terrors. I vape and take 8 msg. of Prazosin and it has helped tremendously.

And now since Canada is allowing recreational marijauna, what has changed for my Canadian Bari'Pals?

I would follow any post-op recommendations that apply to smoking in general, if you're smoking, rather than consuming, weed. The stress on your lungs post surgery can be intense. Make sure you've healed properly.
Sounds like smart advice.

Sent from my XT1650 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey there! So I had my bypass years ago in 2003 and I smoked weed pretty soon after and had no issue! I did however end up starting to use harder stuff about a year or so after and I almost lost my life due to it, on several occasions. Please be careful! Remember once it's in you can't turn back! My struggle with with Coke and it ate away my insides to the point that I have had over 20 surgeries and now eat through a tube! I still smoke weed to help me eat some normal food and because I have severe ptsd from it all. Have fun but be careful on what you choose to use!
The phycologist told us at a support group that it's common for people to pick up other addictive habits in lieu of overeating.

Sent from my XT1650 using BariatricPal mobile app