Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Abdominal fat?

Hey beautiful people! I'm almost a year post surgery and I'm super happy with my progress. I am healthy and happy and pushing myself to become more fit. Although I went from a size 20 to size 8, my abdomen is where I hold excess fat, which I want to work on. I run 2.5-3 miles 4 days , and am pretty new to running. I also swim 1-2 days a week but I'm not a.great swimmer.

is there an effective way to lose belly with cardio? I do some weight training but I'm not as consist as I could be.

Just keep doing cardio, visceral fat is a combo of cardio and especially diet. I've been doing situps and pushups with decent success, even though they don't specifically target visceral and subcutaneous fat in that region. Hiking helped me as well once upon a time.

Try engaging your ab muscles during your cardio workout. I will do that when I am on the elliptical and recumbent bike. Using your muscles whenever you can will help.

Thanks! I'm going to try sucking in my stomach when I run today.

I agree with GBLady41....if you're inconsistent with weights. Cardio will only do so much, but to change the physique of your tummy, you'll need to strengthen your abs/core. That goes for all the muscle, need strength, not endurance.

Is it fat or is it skin? If you have loose skin in that area and fat is attached to it, it is almost impossible to get rid of.

If your weight and BMI are correct you probably have very little fat left. You can't spot lose fat or concentrate on it. If you build the muscles under it you are just going to have toned muscled under fat and skin.

6 hours ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

Is it fat or is it skin? If you have loose skin in that area and fat is attached to it, it is almost impossible to get rid of.

If your weight and BMI are correct you probably have very little fat left. You can't spot lose fat or concentrate on it. If you build the muscles under it you are just going to have toned muscled under fat and skin.

You've got a point. I didn't look at her stats.

My stats are right but I definitely have a weak core and need to work on it. I don't have a ton of loose skin (some but it doesn't bother me). I'm not wanting to be a bikini model but I do want a stronger abdomen.

You can't spot target fat loss any more than you can target fat gain.

You just need to lose fat, period. I believe the best mix is equal parts cardio and heavy weight training (ignore the little five pound dumbbells).

Also, do you have loose skin? I do, and it makes the fat that remains look particularly flabby and sloppy. Plastics is the only thing that will make that go away, unfortunately.

Hey beautiful people! I'm almost a year post surgery and I'm super happy with my progress. I am healthy and happy and pushing myself to become more fit. Although I went from a size 20 to size 8, my abdomen is where I hold excess fat, which I want to work on. I run 2.5-3 miles 4 days , and am pretty new to running. I also swim 1-2 days a week but I'm not a.great swimmer.
is there an effective way to lose belly with cardio? I do some weight training but I'm not as consist as I could be.

I would just do home workouts like crunches, planks, mountain climbers, burpees, leg lifts etc. do them every morning when you wake up.

If you can, I would start something like Olympic weight lifting or crossfit. Start lifting heavy weight. Cardio is great, but building muscle will increase your metabolism. I guess it also depends on the type of physique you want. Lifting heavy + eating a ton of Protein has changed my body the most.

What else might be going on is the muscles have separated, giving a pooched out looking belly. A Tummy Tuck repairs those muscles.

250px-Dr._Placik_Abdominoplasty.jpg

What else might be going on is the muscles have separated, giving a pooched out looking belly. A Tummy Tuck repairs those muscles.
250px-Dr._Placik_Abdominoplasty.jpg.8431b600e9a99c70d636a99c267120b7.jpg

I wish insurance would cover the muscle tightening portion of a tummy tuck instead of just skin removal if someone qualifies for the skin removal portion because of infection. It can't be THAT much work. Stupid insurance companies.

I wish insurance would cover the muscle tightening portion of a Tummy Tuck instead of just skin removal if someone qualifies for the skin removal portion because of infection. It can't be THAT much work. Stupid insurance companies.

The really sad part is they won't cover repair of muscles separated by pregnancy even if affects core stability, no matter your weight.