Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Metabolism slowing and calories burned (2 years + post op)

I'm about two years post op and have recently regained about 5 pounds back.
I am wondering how many calories people are eating, and how much exercise they are getting, to maintain weight loss.

Around the two year mark is when I started slowing down & regaining also. I'm almost at year three & I've regained more than I care to admit. My best advice: Nip this in the bud asap. Once you start regaining, it becomes a slippery slope. Good luck & feel free to connect with me if you want to trade stories & encouragement.

Have you had your metabolism tested? How do know it has slowed? Do you track all of your food? I can maintain on 2000 ish calories.

Hi!

I don't know if it has slowed but I have read that is common and have regained 5 pound or so. Just curious of others experience. I keep track mostly of my calories just wondering of other experiences.

How do you get your metabolism tested?

@ReviseMe

Find a University or Dr office that does RMR/BMR testing. You want the test where you are laying or sitting still for 20-30 minutes with a mask/tent over your face. The scales and machine that just take a few seconds are not accurate. Basically you are getting a reading of the baseline of calories your body burns just being alive. If you didn't move all day this is how many calories your body would burn (ie you are in coma).

@Jim in Utah

I mean unless you are seriously tracking every single thing you put in your mouth with weights, you can really know what you are eating. Just a few things could make your calories higher or lower. There are not that many people here in the 2 years plus range that post and the calories that people maintain on vary pretty wildly. The active people that post here seem to be maintaining on around 2000. I do yoga once or twice a week and I walk everyday, but I don't do any formal exercise and I have not really at all since surgery. Just walking.

@BigViffer is a guy. He can tell you what he does.

Those just use your weight, and guess your lean mass and calculate it.

The machines that use your breath are averaging the measurements from your breathing over a period time.

If you have higher or lower metabolism, this is the only way to get an accurate reading.

The Tanita machines are basing it off lean mass and fat mass, which is it getting from an electronic scan. This would work okay for most people that don't need something very accurate, but when you are dealing with people that might have impared metabolisms, the breathe measurements are showing how you body is actually metabolizing energy, not based on lean mass and fat mass but what your body is actually doing.

An accurate RMR test with a DEXA scan and MD or PhD in sports medicine around are good ways to get accurate calorie goals.

It just don't make sense to blame weight gain on a slowed metabolism, when you haven't had it tested and have no idea what it is. Tracking your food carefully should be the first step. I can eat a lot more at 23 months than I could at 6 months. The only thing that stops me is weighing all my food and deciding how much I am going to eat before I start eating.

Another thing to remember is bottoming out and rebound to your stable weight. My lowest post op weight was 198. Right now I fluctuate between 215-220. My daily average caloric for the month of May intake was 2000. My highest being 2,700-ish and my lowest being 1,050-ish. Activity and opportunity play a big part in how much I eat.

There have been 25 days this year that I broke the 2500 calorie mark. But on those days I averaged 195 grams of Protein, so they were most likely corresponding with heavy lifting days. Biggest calorie day was just recently, June 2nd. I treated myself to a baked sweet potato loaded with realy butter & brown sugar. That sucker cost me a ****-ton of calories. And I had a glazed salmon with it. The core meal was "healthy", but the sauce and toppings are what get you.

Long post made short, don't let 5lbs worry you too much. That is just a BM away from back to where you were.

I am more than 2 years out. I maintain my body weight of 118 to 120 pounds on an intake of 2000+ calories per day.

I run at least 5 days a week, either on the treadmill or outdoors. I also lift heavy free weights 3 times a week. My hard-earned muscle mass enables me more freedom with food choices.

To give my knees a break from running, I'll exercise on a stationary bike, elliptical machine or stair mill at the gym.

My food choices are rather liberal. As long as I hit my daily target of 120 grams of Protein per day, I don't give a rat's ass how many carbs or fat grams I eat. Since I'm physically active, my body tolerates the carbs and fat quite well.

[mention=99963]ReviseMe[/mention]
Find a University or Dr office that does RMR/BMR testing. You want the test where you are laying or sitting still for 20-30 minutes with a mask/tent over your face. The scales and machine that just take a few seconds are not accurate. Basically you are getting a reading of the baseline of calories your body burns just being alive. If you didn't move all day this is how many calories your body would burn (ie you are in coma).
[mention=253258]Jim in Utah[/mention]
I mean unless you are seriously tracking every single thing you put in your mouth with weights, you can really know what you are eating. Just a few things could make your calories higher or lower. There are not that many people here in the 2 years plus range that post and the calories that people maintain on vary pretty wildly. The active people that post here seem to be maintaining on around 2000. I do yoga once or twice a week and I walk everyday, but I don't do any formal exercise and I have not really at all since surgery. Just walking.
[mention=252425]BigViffer[/mention] is a guy. He can tell you what he does.

Thanks for the info