Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lose Weight without Surgery

People looking for alternative obesity treatments to bariatric surgery now have a potential solution. A study showed that patients lost 33.5 pounds in 16 weeks -- about a third of their excess weight. The method by which these patients lost a large amount of weight was not through an invasive surgical procedure.

People looking for alternative obesity treatments to bariatric surgery now have a potential solution. A small study presented at the European Congress on Obesity in Porto, Portugal, showed that the 38 patients enrolled in the trial had lost a mean 15.2kg (33.5 lbs) by the end of the 16 weeks, which amounted to about a third (mean 31%) of their excess weight.

The method by which these patients lost a large amount of weight was not through an invasive surgical procedure. Rather, the patients had a temporary gastric balloon, about the size of a grapefruit, inserted into their stomachs to effectively restrict its capacity for food. People magazine reports of one woman, Virginia Trice age 59, who lost over 70 pounds with the balloon.

Two versions of the gastric balloon are currently on the market in the US, the ReShape and Orbera balloon. The gastric balloon costs around $8,000, and includes a 1-year nutritional support program.

The ORBERA Balloon

The ORBERA gastric balloon is an FDA-approved weight loss approach that allows you to lose and maintain a significant amount of weight. After the balloon procedure is complete, a support team and an online after-care program will guide you through the lifestyle changes you need to ensure you keep your weight where you want it to be.

During the procedure (lasting approximately 30 minutes), a balloon made of soft silicone is placed into the stomach using an endoscope and filled with a sterile saline solution until it’s about the size of a grapefruit. The balloon, which helps you feel fuller, will remain in your stomach for the next six months at which point it is removed. After the six months, you are used to eating less and feeling fuller quicker, setting you up (and training your body) for a whole new lifestyle.

FOR MORE INFO, READ The ORBERA Balloon: A Different Approach to Weight Loss

ReShape Gastric Balloon

ReShape is an FDA-approved weight loss approach that helps people achieve and maintain a significant amount of weight loss through a simple outpatient procedure that does not permanently alter your digestive anatomy or leave any scars. The procedure is completely reversible, and the majority of people who undergo it can resume normal activity within a few days.

Two balloons are placed in your stomach and filled with saline (salt water) in order to occupy some of the space, making you feel full and less hungry. It’s like built-in Portion Control. In addition to the balloons, it includes a year of all-inclusive coaching and helpful tools. The coaching helps you make healthier choices regarding food and lifestyle while the tools provided help you stay the course.

FOR MORE INFO, READ Is ReShape Right for Me?

The balloon is available over here for a good while but is rarely used and expensive as there is no support structure set up for it.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using BariatricPal mobile app

People regain like gangbusters when their bands are unfilled or removed. Why should this be any different?

looks more like a plastic surgery ad than anything

8 hours ago, My Bariatric Life said:

After the six months, you are used to eating less and feeling fuller quicker, setting you up (and training your body) for a whole new lifestyle.

Pretty sure you can't permanently change your food issues in 6 months, and it doesn't have any metabolic affects either. My guess is this would end up being close to 100% regain after a couple years. Terrible idea. Not directing this at the OP, but at the company pushing it.

It will be interesting to see the results after a few years that this has been in the market. It is actually a year-long program, not 6-months although the balloon is only in place for that long. It sounds like a good idea on paper, so-to-speak, and I am glad to see that more comprehensive options that combine support and a procedure are being offered to people who don't qualify for or whom do not wish to undergo weight loss surgery. The proof will be in the outcomes data in the year(s) ahead as to how successful this program is for the masses of people.

I'm having the orbera placed on Monday. I have a question.....does the coach nutrition part cost extra? The reason why I'm asking is that the place I'm getting mine done at is charging me $55 a month for the nutrition part. I was under the impression it was included. I don't want to make a fuss until after I get the balloon in fear of them saying they won't do it.

On 6/23/2017 at 0:14 AM, RLT said:

I'm having the orbera placed on Monday. I have a question.....does the coach nutrition part cost extra? The reason why I'm asking is that the place I'm getting mine done at is charging me $55 a month for the nutrition part. I was under the impression it was included. I don't want to make a fuss until after I get the balloon in fear of them saying they won't do it.

Hi RTL, I hope that your procedure went well! Like you, I was under the impression that the support program was included in the cost of the device/procedure. I think that your best bet would be to call the manufacturer's customer service/support enter for the ORBERA balloon and ask them. Please let us know what you find out. Thanks and good luck on your journey!!!

EDIT: I found the following info on the product website. It sounds to me like the 12-month aftercare program is included but the Coach app and program costs extra.

Aftercare Support and ORBERA® Coach

Included in the ORBERA® weight loss program is ongoing aftercare support for the entire 12-month program, which is essential for the success of your weight loss goals. After the procedure, you will receive support from your team of coaches which may include an ORBERA®-trained Dietitian, fitness trainer, psychologist and treatment team.

Also available is access to ORBERA® Coach, which is an online tool and mobile App exclusively available for ORBERA® System patients. The ORBERA® Coach program makes daily tasks like meal planning, finding healthy recipes and grocery shopping a piece of cake (minus the cake). To keep you on the right track throughout the weight loss program an entire support team will be there to help you every step of the way. Your ORBERA® Coach support team would be led by an ORBERA®-trained Dietitian and your physician to help guide you on your weight loss journey.

Edited by My Bariatric Life
added content