Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm just about a week out (tomorrow) and I barely eat. I just can't do it. I can't hold a lot of food. I have a fork full here, a fork full there, a Protein Shake for Breakfast. I'm only getting 30g of Protein and 40oz of Water a day. If I push it, I get really nauseous. I know the new stomach shouldn't hold much but is this normal for week 1? I've heard other people are hitting their water and protein goals and I'm struggling.

I think this is normal. Keep working toward your doctor's goals. It took me about a month to really get there. After a week, I could only drink about 1/2 of a 11 ounce Protein Shake. Keep sipping and get plenty of rest so your body can recuperate. You will get there! If you are still concerned, check in with your doctor's office :)

Take care :455_rosette:

You are only a week out, be kind to yourself, you are healing. I was a mess at a week out, and could barely drink Water. Just do the best you can to get your Protein and water in, and let yourself heal! I'm 7 weeks out now, and feel amazing...you'll get there, just take it slow and rest!

What are you eating? When you say a fork full? I wasn't allowed any food just shakes and Water.

I've heard that a lot but my dr has me on mushy foods straight out of the hospital. They gave me eggs before I was discharged. I did 2 weeks liquid before surgery.

I've been having tuna with a small amount of olive oil mayo, hard boiled eggs in the food processor, hummus, and shredded chicken breast. Tonight I'm trying a piece of salmon.

I've been doing a Protein Shake for breakfast but it literally takes me 2 hours to drink 11oz.

I wasn't allowed anything other than liquids until about my third week out..and when I started those it was terrible I can only imagine doing those at just a week out. Either way it gets better...just hang in there and get your fluids and Protein in as much as possible! ❤

I've heard that a lot but my dr has me on mushy foods straight out of the hospital. They gave me eggs before I was discharged. I did 2 weeks liquid before surgery.

I've been having tuna with a small amount of olive oil mayo, hard boiled eggs in the food processor, hummus, and shredded chicken breast. Tonight I'm trying a piece of salmon.

I've been doing a Protein Shake for breakfast but it literally takes me 2 hours to drink 11oz.

Can you just do the shakes for a few days? Get all your Protein and Water in and worry about the food when you've healed a bit more.

My surgeon allowed me full liquids from POD1 forward, but I really couldn't tolerate them until POD 4. And even then it took hours for me to drink a Premier Protein shake. I'm learning that just because you are allowed certain foods does not guarantee you'll be able to tolerate them enough to hit your goals. What helped me a lot during this time was a Protein Syrup called Prostat. It's 15g/oz and 100 cals. It helped me bump my protein intake up so I could focus on getting more fluids. I still drank full liquids, but I did not depend on them to meet my goals. Right now I'm having a hard time with mushies and I'm back to needing an hour+ to eat 3-4oz, which is cutting into the time I have to drink fluids, so I'm back to supplementing for my protein and not counting on the mushies to meet my goals until I can tolerate them better.

2 hours ago, AmandaWho said:

I'm just about a week out (tomorrow) and I barely eat. I just can't do it. I can't hold a lot of food. I have a fork full here, a fork full there, a Protein Shake for Breakfast. I'm only getting 30g of Protein and 40oz of Water a day. If I push it, I get really nauseous. I know the new stomach shouldn't hold much but is this normal for week 1? I've heard other people are hitting their Water and Protein goals and I'm struggling.

This is not normal. You need to contact your Dr and have them work with you on while you are only able to get so little in per day.

You could have a complication.

It is better to have the Dr validate where you should be than strangers on the internet.

It's always best to speak with your surgeon office/NUT, particularly since you are so fresh out from surgery. You being allowed mushy foods at this point is not something I've come across very often and your Dr's office may have some ideas on how to advance your diet according to their plan.

I did want to clarify.. do you feel like you are able to tolerate clear and full liquids, and that the mushies are what's causing the trouble? If you're having trouble tolerating clears, that's definitely a problem and you need to call your Dr's office asap. As far as full liquids, I was able to tolerate them ok last week (I'm two weeks post op right now), it just took time for me to drink them. At one week post op I was spending the entire day either drinking Clear Liquids, or my Protein Shakes.

My NUT told me when you advance your diet, it may be that for the first few days or so you're mostly eating at the previous level, and just having a small bit of the new foods (if that makes sense). That's what I've noticed so far. Today I had my Protein Shake, I'm drinking my Protein Water, and tonight I'm gonna have some refried Beans, but I'm not depending on them to meet my goals for protein and fluids - I'll just eat as much as I can handle. Of course, your NUT is gonna know your plan the best, but I just wanted to pass this along because I found it helpful.

This is not normal. You need to contact your Dr and have them work with you on while you are only able to get so little in per day.
You could have a complication.
It is better to have the Dr validate where you should be than strangers on the internet.

I have my appointment tomorrow but I was just looking for some info til then.

I'm 7 weeks Post op today and it still takes me 2 hours+ to drink a shake or anything for that matter. I just keep it on my desk and take a drink now and then. I didn't start getting my 60 Protein and all my Water in until about 4 weeks out and still some days I don't meet it. There is just not enough time in a day to get it all in. My Doctor said that was fine. I am healthy and doing great (according to him).

Each surgeon has a different protocol but, IMO, I'd stick with liquid till 2 weeks out, then mushy for 2 weeks, then soft 2 weeks, then solids. I'm stunned they have you eating solids of any kind, even mushy.