Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Consultation Upcoming

Then I feel it will be a lucky day! [emoji4] Just concerned if they will approve after having pancreatitis due to medications I used for Migraines and to controls muscle spasms for my Bells palsy. I was also treated for h. Pylori (sp?). This all scared me but with the other health issues I have going on, I'm sure it cannot get any worse. I feel awful being so young and having so many issues. Doesn't help when my mother has never supported me so I cant tell her.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

Congrats on your decision to take back your life! [emoji322]

I'm 32 and I just had my consultation this week. I was nervous but I left knowing this is a good path for me. We are far too young to let our weight rob us of health and happiness. I know that if I were to die tomorrow (God forbid) that I wouldn't regret not eating another slice of pizza, I would regret not taking control of my life and being active. My weight doesn't let me do that. It's time!

Also, I took a lot of paperwork from old diets, relevant medical documents, etc. to my appt. My surgeon was impressed and said that my preparedness demonstrates my commitment. They do take that into consideration when the hospital board evaluates who should and should not have the surgery. It made me more confident to know I made a good impression. Good luck, I'm happy for you! Keep in touch since we are both beginning around the same time. Let's compare notes along the way and help each other. [emoji4] I think you'll do just fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey everyone. I'm new here. I have a consultation with a surgeon on June 19th. I'm from NYC. I've had a consultation with this doctor before, over two and a half years ago. At the time, I was recommended the gastric sleeve. I'm 27, currently weigh 406lbs and this is just under the heaviest I've ever been. When I was 22, I had DVT (blood clot which started in my left leg) which lead to compartment syndrome, a pulmonary embolism (a blood clot in my lung) and foot drop(a weakness/paralysis in my right foot which causes it to be positioned in a downward angle which affects my gait). I had to have four surgeries on my leg to prevent amputation and open heart surgery to break up the clot in my lung. At 24, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. The reason I didn't go through with the surgery the first time was that I wasn't approved. You would think after everything I've been through I would have gotten it together back then but it's complicated because the physical issues I was dealing were constantly affected by mental health issues (another issue entirely but it is being treated) and vice versa. This is a photo of me shortly after scheduling my consultation. I don't take many photos of my body. But I hope that will change. Any words of advice, encouragement? I feel at peace with this decision but it would be nice to talk to others who have had it, even if they are strangers. Image1496737310.429887.thumb.jpg.9e99d54e584d876f5e0f27d4269157f5.jpg

Best of luck it's definitely a tough road but you've been through so much already I'm sure you'll take it all in your stride. X

Sent from my Nexus 6P using BariatricPal mobile app

Then I feel it will be a lucky day! Just concerned if they will approve after having pancreatitis due to medications I used for Migraines and to controls muscle spasms for my Bells palsy. I was also treated for h. Pylori (sp?). This all scared me but with the other health issues I have going on, I'm sure it cannot get any worse. I feel awful being so young and having so many issues. Doesn't help when my mother has never supported me so I cant tell her.

It's very scary when your health is in jeopardy and you have to make a life changing decision to improve the quality of it. I'm sorry you don't have the support of your mom. I'm sure that's very difficult. I've been mentioning the idea for surgery for years but my parents I think were scared and always said "I could do it on my own". But after everything I've gone through these last few years, when I told them about the consultation, they completely understood why I was doing it and were very supportive and I was so relieved.

It's very scary when your health is in jeopardy and you have to make a life changing decision to improve the quality of it. I'm sorry you don't have the support of your mom. I'm sure that's very difficult. I've been mentioning the idea for surgery for years but my parents I think were scared and always said "I could do it on my own". But after everything I've gone through these last few years, when I told them about the consultation, they completely understood why I was doing it and were very supportive and I was so relieved.

My aunt has done this surgery so I know where my mom and some of my family stands on it. It always bothered me while she went through the process. They always felt like she was too "lazy" and should've done it on her own. Now I'm going through the same health issues and I'm hiding it from everyone but my aunt. I just want to get this whole process done. Im looking forward to your updates!

My aunt has done this surgery so I know where my mom and some of my family stands on it. It always bothered me while she went through the process. They always felt like she was too "lazy" and should've done it on her own. Now I'm going through the same health issues and I'm hiding it from everyone but my aunt. I just want to get this whole process done. Im looking forward to your updates!

It's a shame people are so judgmental about it. They want you to lose the weight but they're so puritanical about what they consider the "right way". There's also nothing lazy involved when it comes to surgery. There's a lot of work involved before, during and after in order for you to be successful and keep the weight off. The surgery is hardly a quick fix! Those who treat it as such and don't make the necessary changes to their lifestyle don't lose as much weight or they gain it back! I'm glad you're moving forward and I'm happy that you have your aunt to lean on during all this.

Ariat. . .
You are absolutely beautiful. This surgery is for YOU.

Although easily said than done, do NOT focus on the opinions and thoughts of others. NONE OF THEM HAS EVER WALKED IN YOUR SHOES AND NEVER WILL.

Ask yourself what were the "naysayers" doing through all of your previous health issues, trial, & tribulations other than run their mouths???

You have the opportunity to take control of YOUR life!! Continue to pray and ask for God's guidance. He will cover you during this journey. Much love and success to you.

I had gastric bypass on May 30th. I go to first follow up appointment with surgeon today. My experience has been positive with very minimal discomfort (no pain).

Highest weight: 300 lbs
Current Weight: 280 lbs

Hospital didn't weigh me before surgery, which is fine with me. I'm focusing on the present and future. I will let the PAST remain where it belongs: In the PAST

God Bless You
~TeResa

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

I hope so too. I'm going to Mt. Sinai Hospital. It's the hospital I go to mostly everything for.

Thank you! It definitely looks like this will be a good place for me.

Good luck they are very good I've heard, im in bk wanna buddy I'm here

Sent from my SM-G925T using BariatricPal mobile app

It's a shame people are so judgmental about it. They want you to lose the weight but they're so puritanical about what they consider the "right way". There's also nothing lazy involved when it comes to surgery. There's a lot of work involved before, during and after in order for you to be successful and keep the weight off. The surgery is hardly a quick fix! Those who treat it as such and don't make the necessary changes to their lifestyle don't lose as much weight or they gain it back! I'm glad you're moving forward and I'm happy that you have your aunt to lean on during all this.

Thank you very much! I'm glad I found this app. I feel it will help a ton too! I'm excited for your consultation! Let us know how it goes! [emoji6]

This is definitely a great step for you. I started this process when I was 28 in October of 2015. At my first consultation I was 540 pounds. I'm sorry to hear of all your health set backs but now is the time to take back your life! I had surgery at the end of May 2016 and am now a year out. I am down 200 since surgery but 263 overall. I now weigh 277 (though probably less now because I just had a panniculectomy where they removed 15 pounds of skin!!)

Good luck to you! If you need anything just find us on here!

You're a very pretty young lady, with that said I wish you the best with your surgery and your program and learning how to eat sensibly. Keep us posted and even if you hate pics like I do take some before pics and save them until you can post your after pics because seeing these kinds of photos is what keeps us on track because we see how much good these surgeries can do. Im being sleeved on June 21st I will try to keep you posted.

Sent from my N9519 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey we have been through many of the same things-blood clots, pulmonary embolism, juvenile onset hypothyroidism- Im still waiting for approval for wls, here's to hoping we will both be on the losers bench soon.

Awww ur very pretty...God is by your side honey...it's your time to shine.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks so much. I feel the same way about it being my time to shine. I wanted to focus on my health so I can go back to college and finish my degree. My health was the biggest obstacle.