Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Does Not Taste Good

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like nothing they eat tastes good? I feel like my taste buds have changed. (I'm two months post-op)

Also,I feel like my sense of smell has changed too. I feel badly for my poor fiancé. If he has onions during the day, he has to face the other direction when we are sleeping because his breath makes me want to barf. Poor guy. LOL

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like nothing they eat tastes good? I feel like my taste buds have changed. (I'm two months post-op)
Also,I feel like my sense of smell has changed too. I feel badly for my poor fiancé. If he has onions during the day, he has to face the other direction when we are sleeping because his breath makes me want to barf. Poor guy. LOL

Same. I'm only about a week out but everything I can eat just tastes bland. (I'm on mushy foods like tuna and egg salad that are not bland). Hopefully when I progress to the next stage it'll be better!

Everything I eat or drink either tastes sugary, salty, or fake (chemically). I have a constant sweet taste on my tongue to where even Water tastes like it has sugar in it. It's horrible. I've finally reached the soft Protein stage where I can have tuna and Beans. I've learned to mix something that tastes overly sweet with something that's overly salty. Tomato Soup with a side of cottage cheese for example. I'll take a bite of one then the other and keep that route so it never gets overwhelming.

HW: 328 (02/21/17)
SW: 271 (05/24/17)
CW: 262

This gets better, guys. Give it time! My sense of taste absolutely changed after surgery - I prefer salty to sweet things now, and flavors are more pronounced. It was overwhelmingly so at first, but after several months, it does become less apparent.

My sense of smell took longer - maybe 6-8 months - but I have always had a very sensitive olfactory system, anyway. Surgery made it even more so - I threw up a few times early on due to smell.

Hang in there! It all dissipates down the road.

It gets so much better I promise. In the beginning I could smell people's breath in a waiting room- and a refrigerator almost made me puke with all of those smells ! I still don't crave stuff and nothing sounds super awesome to eat- ( almost one year out ) but I mean I guess that's a little of the point- I am never craving something to eat really

Yes, it does improve over time. Everyone is different, to be sure, but there will be things that will NEVER taste good to you again.

I have developed a real sensitivity to oils when foods are prepared. chicken Sausage has to be on a raised rib grill instead of a flat pan. Even PAM has an aftertaste that makes me nuts now.

However, the flavors and seasonings used are far more prominent to me now. This means that I can actually enjoy preparing and cooking foods now. Previously, it was all about the volume. Now, it's all about the flavors!

I hated food for months. The good news is that it comes back. One day, you'll find something tastes wonderful. You'll only need a few bites to be satisfied.

This was a wonderful time to retrain myself to eat well. I learned to eat small portions of well made, wonderfully spiced meals, something that has carried over into maintenance.

This too shall pass.

On 6/5/2017 at 1:41 PM, JRaye said:

I'm 7 months out and still don't enjoy food (but that's a good thing!). The only thing I really like is steak. I do eat a lot of yogurt and cheese to make sure I get enough Protein every day, but I have to schedule times to eat or I won't get it in every day. I'm not bothered that nothing tastes good because food no longer controls me!