Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Boo Boo Kitty's PS Journey

I didn't expect to look perfect, but I am not happy with how they are turning out. I really don't want a revision but at this point if they get worse I will. :)

BUT he made the mistake, so who pays for it??

My thought?

He should eat the costs, all of them.

And really, if there was a way to transfer the pain to him as well, that would be helpful.

I am intersted in what Farhan had to say about the port. If he wants to move it, I'd ask for a low-profile. I think JulieNYC said it was about $600 for the low profile port itself. If the placement is causing severe pain or "difficulty breathing" (hint-hint), then one would think insurance should pay for the port revision, you'd likely just have to pay for the port itself.

Take care!

Well hello alll....

I went to Hurley today to see Dr. Farhan. He agrees it is a problem. He wonders first why it was moved and why it was moved there. Sound familar? He is going to scheduale for me to have it moved back to where it was in August. He said I will have 2 cuts. 1 where it is now and 1 where it is going to be, unless he is able to tunnel under to the new spot. But for the most part he wants me to plan for 2 cuts. :) I know I could have the PS do it when he does my revision, but honestly at this point I don't trust him. Dr Farhan said the only way the PS should do it *if* he was doing lapbands and experienced. They could hurt my band, so I am letting the expert do it.

He told me not to worry about cost. He said the insurance will cover it because it is causing pain. He saw it get caught in the rib area today as I sat up too fast. So there is no doubt it is medically necessary! He will be putting in a low profile port as well. When I got my band, they were not available, so I guess there is 1 plus right.

He also told me I am the most successful person they have had with the band! What an honor! I needed to hear that after being so upset about all of this port drama....

And then there is the breasts....they get more worse everyday. I will have DH take pics and post them as soon as I can. I can not believe how bad they are looking. I just don't understand why.

I appreciate everyone's support here, I really need it. I wish things were turning out better for me, but they will soon right? :confused2:

Edited by Boo Boo Kitty

BBK: So glad you're going to get a low profile port. I love mine and you will to. It will be worth the inconvience! Sorry about your breasts! If your PS is not going to fix them for free or at his cost, I really think I would go to someone else for the revision. What a pain! Your weight loss is remarkable and I hope you can bask in that glory! Maybe I'll try Shackley to get the last 20 pounds off! Take care!

I just went for my second consultation with my PS. I was not happy with the first consult. I have a huge scar from old-style gallbladder surgery.

At the first one he said he couldn't cut up too far to make my very assymetrical belly more flat. I have a bulge on the left side above the waistband where fat has accumulated and will not go away with diet. He said he could take out just below my belly button and then not so low above the public bone. Not good as an outcome for that problem area. So I went back and he called in another surgeon and they concurred that if they take my belly button and all along that line but considerably higher than the pubic mound they can get the bulge that bothers me so. (It sticks out further than my breasts) I will then look at later liposuction if the bulge that may remains bothers me and my vanity. I will never wear a bikini at 60 years old & no I will not never need a belly button. They have to be very cautious about blood supply to the scarred area so it presents special considerations.

I just thought this might interest someone else if you have a scar that prevents too much skin tightening in certain areas.

I think I will be very happy after this done. Right now the bulge is so bad if I wear a highrise girdle my midriff bulge rolls down the top of that girdle and does no good. It just makes it more prominent! Yuck!

Plastic surgery scheduled for June 26th, 2008...Can't wait!

Sandybells

BBK, I am glad the band dr will be fixing your port. I agree with you, it is better to let the expert fix it so your band is not damaged and he will know how it is supposed to be and look. I am sorry to hear you are unhappy with your breasts. Can you get a 2nd opinion from another PS before you let the PS do the revision? I might be worried about him doing more surgery. We are all wishing you all the best. You look MARVELOUS, just marvelous!!!:rolleyes2:

Sandy,

I had the same problem with the old gallbladder scar. I'm sorry, but I didn't understand what the surgeon will be doing. Could you explain more? I had my TT May 31.

BBK, you've done great. Congratulations! :lol:

Cheryl

Sandy,

I had the same problem with the old gallbladder scar. I'm sorry, but I didn't understand what the surgeon will be doing. Could you explain more? I had my TT May 31.

BBK, you've done great. Congratulations! :P

Cheryl

I had requested they take as much of my pannis as they can. The first consult he only told me he would go just below my naval and down somewhere between my pubic mound and the navel. That would mean a minimal amount of my pannis would be gone. Just enough to reduce the droopy pannus but not at all address the upper bulge I have above my belly button. I had asked him in a letter if they could do a fleur de lys incision. He didn't like that as he said the blood supply to my lower stomach would be put at risk. So I agreed to a second consult. A second doctor looked and said he believes they could go above the naval and remove more than the first consult had led me to understand. So he said if after the surgery I am still not satisfied they could consider liposuction if the bulge is still too much for me. (My bulge sticks out further than my breasts. Not attractive at all.) I am 60 but I still want to look better in my clothes. I will not have a belly button after this is done but I will not expect to wear a bikini at this age. My biggest concern in all was in my old age I do not want to be relying on a caretaker to wash and care for my underbelly being unhygenic and infected. I know they do not take care as I DO. If I am unable to care for myself...I want easy care...no special notes for caretakers who may or not pay attention to these special requirements. If anyone is as concerned as I am, Please mention this to your doctors so they understand your special needs. It could make a difference in how they submit it to your insurance. I hope this is clearly explained this time. I will not have the fleur de lys but the regular across the lower abdomen and over the hipbones type of incision. Wish me luck!

Thanks for asking for clarification because I do want to help others who may need this information.

BBK, I've been following your journey and am very inspired! It's very brave to post all of this for everyone to see.

I'm sorry you are unhappy with your breasts so far. I just wanted to let you know that it really does take at least a year to see exactly what they are going to heal up and look like. The lumps and bumps will smooth out over time, at least somewhat. I had a BR 7 years ago and the first 6 months were scary, as my breasts had not yet "molded" the way they do over time. I'd just encourage you to keep wearing a very well fitted (full coverage) bra as much as possible. The compression helps the breasts mold the right way and keeps the scarring down. If you do end up having a revision it probably wouldn't be until a year post op, I would imagine--most PS would want to see how things turn out before operating again. Bummer, I know.

But the bright side is that it must be easier to exercise with the girls a little smaller and firmer--and you look fantastic!

Good luck to you, and I'll continue following your thread to see your progress!

Well, I wanted to update you all on Monday at the PS. I am fuming, he is an asshole and arrogant.

He is still unhappy about the breasts (as he should be) and mentioned he WILL be revising them with a few small cuts underneath them. When I asked who pays, he said "we'll talk later'. What the hell does that mean.

As far as the staples that are popping out, the Intern was very concerned. He thought it looked poor and painful. (Yeah he is a smart one). BUT in true Dr Kuzan manor he was not concerned and even started PICKING THEM OUT! Remember they are still underneath my skin, you can see them, but the still have to be cut and pulled....wtf...it hurt like hell and I made him stop. It turns out they are a new product that has been on the market for 6 months! NO JOKE! Turns out a lot of my procedure was new. Too bad not improved.

I didn't even mention to him that I am having a port revision. Frankly I don't think he cares. Asshole.....

BUT I need your opinion ya all. Make me heal wants to interview me for the band. It would include an interview and before, after pics ect. Should I do it?? I am on the fence I think. I am actually having a hard time with being on top here somedays. I don't know how more attention would make me feel. Don't get me wrong I am proud to be on top here, but I don't know anyone there. I feel safe here...lol..

I think you are an amazing advocate for the band, and I do wish there were more before and after photos for those of us who have had WLS, specifically the band.

But you do have to be comfortable with it.

I don't get it about the Doc. How could he go from being so great and such a good surgeon (like we both said, you gotta be in order to successfully change someone from make to female and make it convincing) to being such a huge a$$hole and uncaring? I'm flummoxed! I know you are more flummoxed than I, but I'm shocked! Have you considered making an appointment with someone else in plastics at the U? Amy Alderman is really good with breasts. I remember her as a resident, then as a fellow when I was in burn. She's gifted.

I wish this had gone much better for you!

I am going to get a 2nd opinion. I forgot to mention he didn't care about the size difference and will be doing nothing about it. He said "we talked about this before, you knew it was a risk." so his revision will have nothing to do with making them look even!

BUT I need your opinion ya all. Make me heal wants to interview me for the band. It would include an interview and before, after pics ect. Should I do it?? I am on the fence I think. I am actually having a hard time with being on top here somedays. I don't know how more attention would make me feel. Don't get me wrong I am proud to be on top here, but I don't know anyone there. I feel safe here...lol..

Ok. I am drive-by-posting, so I am only commenting on this for the second....

From someone who has been there and done it (I was interviewed for a major weekly Australian magazine in August 2007).

Remember it is out there FOREVER. One you say "Yes" there is NO changing your mind. It's there forever.

I still have people come up to me in the street and say "You are that chick who was really fat, right?" (I say "whatever do you mean?" and walk away now... It really upset me for a while) And I got harassing phone calls for months after the magazine came out from wackos.

I am yet to read the replies (I am sure the majority are saying to do it) but be sure you are ready to have yourself out there for public consumption forever. Be sure you are ready to know that perfect strangers have seen your body. Be sure that you are ready to know that strangers know your intimate thoughts. Be sure you are ready for the judgment you will get.

Be sure you want to do this before saying yes.

I am not saying don't do it. But be very sure you DO want to do it before doing it.

BBK:

You've been inspirational to many of us, even before your picture was at the top.

Do what you are comfortable with.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Sue

BBK, so sorry your Dr is obnoxious. He maybe hoping you will just "settle" for whatever he will do for you, without stretching his pocketbook. You certainly have a right to know "we'll talk later" means, and in writing.

Tonight at our support group, there was talk about how overweight people accept lower than standard medical treatment. You have come a long way baby, please watch out that any old feelings you may have let you settle.

As far as the interview, Chickie had some wonderful advice. As much as we adore you here, and want only the best for you, think about the long term consequences of the interview, Pro and Con