Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had RNY surgery on 5/16/2017. I wanted VSG but my surgeon talked me into RNY based on the weight I need to lose (> 200 lbs). I have had good days since surgery but the past week have had problems with nausea and gas. I'm getting 50 - 60 oz fluids in and 60 gm Protein. Lately I've been wishing I stayed with my original choice.

I'm new to this forum and am hoping someone can tell me this, too, will pass!

Sent from my SM-N915V using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh my goodness dear. You are only a few weeks out I felt so bad for around 6 weeks.I was always tired Id get wiped out just showering. Nausea and gas ,I can tell you that it was all worth it! No regrets here one bit. I'm now about 9 months out and 5lbs from my goal weight. You will make it. It gets easier every day : }

I think I'm one of the few who felt better the day I went home from the the hospital than I had the last yr prior. I have a heart condition that got me approved for surgery. The burden of knowing I shouldn't die in 5 yrs wasn't weighing on me. Yeah, I had nausea, but as a Migraine suffer. It's par for the course. It gets easier, gas X is your friend in the early weeks.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

It is pretty typical to have the RNY when there is more weight to lose. And sometimes, doctors prefer it because it is sort of the "gold standard". You will lose more weight with this surgery than with the others. It's even quite common for patient's who have had one type of surgery come back and eventually have the RNY. It's done now--stop looking back. Make the most of it and you'll do great. It will really depend on how you follow the plan now. It is only a tool. It has some magic the first year but eventually that magic wears off and you really need to put in the work so it's best to get in the habit of doing that work now which will pay off exponentially! Best of luck to you and congratulations for making the decision to live longer and better!

the first few weeks can be tough, but after that, you'll be feeling totally normal and loving it! At two years out and having lost all my excess weight, I can tell you that it's the best decision I ever made! So no, no regrets, other than maybe the first month or six weeks. It'll pass.

also, if the nausea keeps up, let your surgeon know. Occasional bouts happen early on, but if it's a lot, call them. Could be something like a stricture if you're having constant nausea and trouble keeping things down.

Regret? No I'm not regretting it. But I can tell you the mind game you play with yourself post-op is wicked. I'm 5 days out and just different things cause me to be either depressed, or worried constantly. I hate staying home with nothing to do when I'm feeling pretty good but I don't want to go out and over do it, the small things you don't expect will scare you, and then you will spend hours looking it up. The other day I was not able to pass some gas and had some pressure on my right side, thought I was going to die, went away the next day, but I was up checking my hear rate and temperature often. Currently I'm trying to have a BM and not have the tarry black leftover blood come out. It's common for your first few post-op but again, I'm being obsessive about it and just want that to go away because it can be serious.

Days pass and things get better, I slept on my sides last night and got a nice 12hrs in. It was great! Everyday I feel overall better!

So i don't regret it, but I'm having to fight myself everyday.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey keep your head up I had my bypass surgery on the 25th of May and I'm already down 20 pounds keep your head up and stay focused keep yourself around people who are positive and don't let those little mind games have an effect on you you pretty much are having the opportunity like all of us to hit the reset button on the computer sometimes we have to shut the computer down and reboot it so that we can get back on track and that is exactly what it's going on stay focused and stay encouraged

Sent from my SM-G935P using BariatricPal mobile app

It is pretty typical to have the RNY when there is more weight to lose. And sometimes, doctors prefer it because it is sort of the "gold standard". You will lose more weight with this surgery than with the others. It's even quite common for patient's who have had one type of surgery come back and eventually have the RNY. It's done now--stop looking back. Make the most of it and you'll do great. It will really depend on how you follow the plan now. It is only a tool. It has some magic the first year but eventually that magic wears off and you really need to put in the work so it's best to get in the habit of doing that work now which will pay off exponentially! Best of luck to you and congratulations for making the decision to live longer and better!

Exactly how I would have said it. Hang in there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm almost six weeks out. I wouldn't say I regret it but I do hate the nausea and weakness that comes with it. I had pretty bad Migraines before I got the surgery and now I only get them once or twice out of the whole month.

Everything else about the surgery is an added bonus although I'm still having trouble getting all of my liquids and Protein in.

----------------------------

HW- 273
Pre-op Wt- 230
SW- 226
CW- 197
GW- 130
Ht- 5'2.5"
DOS- April 26th, 2017

"Only those who try will become." ~FFX

Oh my goodness dear. You are only a few weeks out I felt so bad for around 6 weeks.I was always tired Id get wiped out just showering. Nausea and gas ,I can tell you that it was all worth it! No regrets here one bit. I'm now about 9 months out and 5lbs from my goal weight. You will make it. It gets easier every day : }

Thanks for this! Intellectually I know it will get better. Got to work on my attitude!

I think I'm one of the few who felt better the day I went home from the the hospital than I had the last yr prior. I have a heart condition that got me approved for surgery. The burden of knowing I shouldn't die in 5 yrs wasn't weighing on me. Yeah, I had nausea, but as a Migraine suffer. It's par for the course. It gets easier, gas X is your friend in the early weeks.
Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

GasX, YES!

I am doing the work - getting my fluids and Protein in, walking, doing more every day. My surgeon said the same things about the two different surgeries. I finally agreed to the RNY because I didn't want to have a second surgery. Thanks for the virtual attitude adjustment! I needed that!

the first few weeks can be tough, but after that, you'll be feeling totally normal and loving it! At two years out and having lost all my excess weight, I can tell you that it's the best decision I ever made! So no, no regrets, other than maybe the first month or six weeks. It'll pass.

also, if the nausea keeps up, let your surgeon know. Occasional bouts happen early on, but if it's a lot, call them. Could be something like a stricture if you're having constant nausea and trouble keeping things down.

Thanks! I'm just really wanting this to pass. I haven't vomited up any food, but I have had some dry heaves. I still have some Zofran, but it makes me sleepy. I only take it before bed.

Regret? No I'm not regretting it. But I can tell you the mind game you play with yourself post-op is wicked. I'm 5 days out and just different things cause me to be either depressed, or worried constantly. I hate staying home with nothing to do when I'm feeling pretty good but I don't want to go out and over do it, the small things you don't expect will scare you, and then you will spend hours looking it up. The other day I was not able to pass some gas and had some pressure on my right side, thought I was going to die, went away the next day, but I was up checking my hear rate and temperature often. Currently I'm trying to have a BM and not have the tarry black leftover blood come out. It's common for your first few post-op but again, I'm being obsessive about it and just want that to go away because it can be serious.
Days pass and things get better, I slept on my sides last night and got a nice 12hrs in. It was great! Everyday I feel overall better!
So i don't regret it, but I'm having to fight myself everyday.
Sent from my Nexus 6 using BariatricPal mobile app

Isn't it nice to sleep on your side?! I spent my first few nights in a recliner chair because I didn't think I could get in or out of my bed. My husband has been AMAZING through all this! I'm now able to get in and out of bed by myself. I didn't go out of the house till my one week post op visit. Even then, we just went there and came back. I have been reading a lot and watching Netflix. Of course there's naps on the lovely couch!

Hey keep your head up I had my bypass surgery on the 25th of May and I'm already down 20 pounds keep your head up and stay focused keep yourself around people who are positive and don't let those little mind games have an effect on you you pretty much are having the opportunity like all of us to hit the reset button on the computer sometimes we have to shut the computer down and reboot it so that we can get back on track and that is exactly what it's going on stay focused and stay encouraged

Sent from my SM-G935P using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you; this is encouraging! Working on staying focused!