Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! I recently found out that my insurance (BCBS of Texas) is requiring me to do 6 months of medically supervised nutrition. I'm one visit in and cannot seem to wrap my head around waiting 6 months to finally have my sleeve surgery. It's so discouraging to make such a big life decision, be eligible, and then have to wait half a year to begin getting healthier. Does anyone have any tips or words of encouragement on how to make it through such a long wait? Thanks so much!

I know. I have bcbs MA and have to do 6 months. I am only in the 2nd month. I am trying to think of starting healthy habits now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using BariatricPal mobile app

I had to do six months of medically supervised weight management before being seen by a surgeon. And then, only then, was I able to get an appointment with the surgeon. It had nothing to do with insurance protocols, it was what the weight loss program at the medical center requires.

I live in the Cleveland, Ohio area. There are three major medical centers here and each one seems to have a different set of protocols.

In the long run in my mind it came to follow-up care. I chose the one with not only the strictest preop but the best overall preop and postop support system. I couldn't ask for better!

I have Highmark BCBS and hey stopped doing the 6 month nut requirement in dec 2016. Look at ur medical policy online if u registered with ur insurance and it will tell u the policy requirements.

They make you wait 6 month so you know what to do, see if your dedicated enough to actually have surgery. I am on BCBS of Mi from Kansas. It frustrating I know, I have 1 more group class then have to wait for approval. Hang in there you will learn a lot from classes worth it

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

I have BC Anthem and am also doing the 6 months. At first I was told it wasn't required and then I got a call from my coordinator and said it was. I was really bummed but then just accepted it, got my head right and am going to my 4th appointment in a few days. I scheduled all of my appointments in he beginning and made them a priority! It has really helped me make gradual changes and I think it is going to make me successful in he long run. I make one change a month that is going to me mandatory after surgery. You can do it! The insurance company does this to make sure you are committed and will be successful- prove that you can!

My advice is to get started now. I, too have BCBS (Anthem of Louisiana), and had to do the six month diet program. I decided from the very beginning that I was ready to make a change and I followed through. I lost 99 pounds during that six months (from 397 to 298 on surgery day). I used that time to re-define my relationship with food, conquer my food demons, and set myself on a course to have long-term success post-op. I have lost an additional 104 pounds since my surgery last September 28, and every day, I add 99 pounds to my current weight and think to myself if I hadn't done all of that pre-op work, I would weigh xxx pounds today. Also, all of the frustrations of post-op life (stalls, discomfort, food stages, etc.) were so much easier to deal with having already taken off half of the weight before the surgery.

The pre-op diet program was the best thing that ever happened to me. Too many people act as though the sleeve is some magic pill that will do all the work for them. That is a fallacy. In my journey, the sleeve is merely a supporting player. I am the star and I wouldn't be here without that six month experience.

Good luck!

I also had BCBS and had to do 6 months of weight loss. It ended up being a gift. I researched everything about the surgery, learned the post op nutrition and started a workout regimen. I only lost 10 lbs BUT it has made my post op experience SO much stronger. If you don't change your habits you won't be successful.

Sent from my XT1585 using BariatricPal mobile app

I also have BCBS TX and will be done with Month 5 next week. My doctors office will submit the insurance once the 6th visit is complete. They say once the insurance approves (which could take up to 30 days) then we can schedule surgery. They are currently scheduling through August which means even once I complete my 6 months it could be an additional 3 months before I ever have the surgery. Talk about frustrating.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using BariatricPal mobile app

I have BCBS FEP and it's only 3 months. Last month I scheduled my final post op (next week) plus my tentative surgery date of July 31 at the same time. They said he surgeon is very busy so it was better to schedule the surgery and have to change it than get approved next week or the week after and have to wait a couple more months.

I have BCBS FEP and it's only 3 months. Last month I scheduled my final post op (next week) plus my tentative surgery date of July 31 at the same time. They said he surgeon is very busy so it was better to schedule the surgery and have to change it than get approved next week or the week after and have to wait a couple more months.

I also have BCBS FED. Going to my visit on Monday. I only had to do 3 Mos too. How long did it take for you to be approved for surgery when you finished your requirements?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using BariatricPal mobile app

My final appt is Thursday. I've seen people with FEP get approved in about a week. Probably depends on your surgeon's office. UCLA is typically on top of getting approvals quickly. My surgery isn't scheduled until a July 31 so I have a cushion.

i believe they passed a requirement either this year or last that states 6 months of nutrition counseling minimum. i have aetna & had to do 6 months. it goes by quicker than you think!! good luck!

With mine I had to do 7 months! Just finished June 1 and surgery scheduled July 18. Just go through it. I don't know about yours but with mine if I missed a month i would have had to start all over!