Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I convert from my Lap Band, to the Gastric Sleeve? My band has slipped and not restricting!

I'm looking for folks that have had their lap band converted to a gastric sleeve.

I'm on my 2nd band. 1st banded in 1999 with a Swedish band in Monterrey, Mexico. 2nd band in U.S. in 2006. 2nd band has now "slipped", so says the doctor. I'm not feeling restriction, even though it is filled and little is passing through. I've gained 30 pounds since December, and getting scared.

I'm looking into going to Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana for a conversion (cash pay- no insurance coverage). However, I have no idea what going to a gastric sleeve will be like in comparison to the band. With the band, I had a lot of restriction, and so, wasn't able to eat much. If I eat over 1,000 calories a day, I gain weight. And I do exercise diligently.

Any feedback of your conversion experience would be appreciated. Especially, how the sleeve feels in comparison to the band- eating food wise.

Thank you!

In my opinion, YES. I switched from band to sleeve three years ago and it was the best decision ever.

I am almost 2 months out. I had a band from 2008 until 2013... successful with it - lost 120 pounds and kept 100 off through out having it... then it just shut down- no slip or erosion - dr said scar tissue- took it out and well old habits crept back in. 4 years later~ sleeve...So my experience with the sleeve is that full is a completely different feeling and that restriction is an understatement- I can't eat more than 1/3 cup of anything- even slider foods... i average 400-500 calories a day - you have to chew everything! I stick to a low carb diet- so 2 months out my typical day is either a Protein Shake or 1 scrambled egg around 8 am, okios triple zero yogurt for my second meal around 11am, around 2 pm I may eat a boiled egg (deviled with mayo and mustard) around 4pm a tuna packet and around 8pm if I'm hungry- another Protein Drink or yogurt. Sometimes I will go through Chick-fil-A and get the 8 count grilled nuggets but can only eat 4... save the others for lunch the next day.... not sure if that helps- I am personally happy I did it. I can eat 1/8 of a slice of thin crust Red Barron pizza and stop! (I use to eat the whole thing) I am down 35 pounds from surgery and 45 pounds since starting the process again...

Wow, thank you so much for all this information! This is exactly what I was looking for!

The band restricted me from eating so well, that I was successful in losing and keeping off the weight. But I was worried that the sleeve wouldn't offer the same feeling of restriction, and that I would be able to eat a lot more. Knowing that I can eat so few calories a day without gaining, has made me very worried about converting.

So thank you again for your feedback, and I do wish you all the best! If I can ever be of any help to you, please let me know.

I had conversion from Lapband to sleeve exactly four months ago and it has been awesome! I lost very little weight with the band and put it all back on. I gave it five years, but it just did not work for me. I can't speak highly enough for the sleeve right now.

Thanks for your input! May I ask, did you not have restriction with the band, is that the reason you didn't feel it worked? Can you please comment if this prevents you from eating so much at one time? Or do you eat less because of less hunger hormone? Do you FEEL less hungry, as the doctors are saying will happen because there is less hunger hormone? Thank you!!

I'm on my second band and planning to move to sleeve. I had the Swedish 4cc band in 2004 and lost 100 lbs easily. It kept leaking - first the tube, then the port. Only gained 20 lbs back and managed to get monthly fills for years that kept emptying but it kept the weight at bay at least. Finally got the port fixed and then got pregnant and boom - the band totally disconnected. When they replaced the band I never got back to that sweet spot and it slips all the time. It's unfilled right now and I cough constantly if I eat more than a cup of food. Cough until I puke. At work. In meetings. But I'm full on hungry with growling and all the old food lust back. Badly slipped. I'm so disappointed.

Anyway it's getting removed next week thank god and then I am appealing the insurance denial for a revision. Worst case is that I will switch insurance in November then start the sleeve process. I'm unable to be consistent with food when I'm alone with it without some kind of tool, I accept it about myself. I'm hanging on by my fingernails waiting for all these events to unfold. I'm up another 40 lbs from my lowest to a total of 60 lb gain. Reading these stories keeps me going!!!

I'm 6 days post-op from a band to sleeve revision in Mexico with Dr Gutierrez. I had the band for 1 1/2 years. Same thing happened to me. Which is nothing. By one year it was completely full but I felt no restrictions. Ever. I lost about 25 pounds out of own will and work. My surgeon wanted to go in and reposition the band up higher on my stomach to shrink the pouch. But that would have cost almost as much as a sleeve surgery. I didn't want to spend another fortune to fix something that may not work again. So we decided on a sleeve. And in Mexico. My surgeon here at home actually recommended Mexico. I feel good. I really feel better after this surgery than the band. I have had no pain, nausea, etc. It's been great really. I know it's still early, but I'm hopeful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using BariatricPal mobile app

I have my lap band removal at the end of this month. I met with my surgeon again today. I can't wait to get the sleeve in 3 months. I had some anxiety, but, he calmed my nerves.

6 hours ago, Chicks56 said:

Oh thank you so much for your input! I hope the sleeve goes well going forward for you!

Awe, thank you so very much, Chicks56! 😊 Have you had surgery?

No my dear, I have not had surgery yet. Hopefully the end of July, the 24th is the day I believe. Doctors are waiting the results of a endoscopy to judge if I will just have my band removed first, or have the band removed and go right into the sleeve. So it all depends upon that.

Awesome! Your surgery is coming up! 😊 Here is to good news on your test results 😊. Due to my insurance, I had to have two separate procedures. It would have been nice to have my band removed & the gastric sleeve at one time. However; I'm just grateful insurance is covering both.

I just received approval for band to DS revision. My surgeon and I chose the DS because revisions tend to lose slower and the DS has a better track record when it comes to regain.

August 8th can't come fast enough!

I hope whichever path you choose that you find success [emoji4]

ReviseMe that is soooo exciting! Your surgery is coming up soon 😊 Thank you!! I wish you much success too!!