Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't figure out how to lose again

Hi all. First post. I joined specifically to ask a question, which I'll get to momentarily. Long story short I had RNY in 2014, lost 120lbs in less than 6 months, then got pregnant with my daughter--I was still about 60lbs short of my goal after losing the 120. Maintained my weight throughout the pregnancy, but afterwards put on about 20lbs. Weird, I know.

Anywho, I've used MFP the whole time, and even though I've been eating 1000-1200 calories per day (mostly protein) I can't get back to where I was before I started regaining. Do I need to do some kind of jump start/reset? Nothing but Protein Shakes for 2 weeks straight like I did before surgery? How would you proceed? I'm still wearing size 18/xl (which I NEVER in a million years thought I could wear again) but jeans are starting to feel snug :( Not happy about it.

Todays meal plan: Breakfast-- Dannon light and fit greek with a handful of rasbperries. Lunch-- 6oz escarole and white bean Soup with a veggie salad. Dinner-- chicken breast and sauteed spinach. I'm also planning to allow a snack of either egg salad or scrambled eggs. I'm not seeing a whole heck of a lot I can subtract from there besides the snack and the raspberries, but they're only about 7g carbs/30cal. Maybe eliminate the bean soup? I just don't know. On paper it seems like I'm doing what I'm supposed to! Frustrated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by cstem

I have been following a Keto Style meal plan and my Body seems to work well with it. I am able to have weight loss at a moderate pace and I feel good most of the time. I limit my meals to three 4oz meals and one snack a day. Take a look on Facebook or Google and see if this might be a option for you. Grazing all day has always been a problem for me and I was in such denial that I wouldn't have believed it if you told me, so that is something I have to fight daily.

Weight loss now will be as hard as it was before surgery. Since your daily calories are already so low, there isn't much room for change there.

You could try going full Keto.

You didn't mention exercise.. if it's possible to increase that...

At some point, I think you'll do well to just shed the few extra pounds that are making your clothes tight, and not worry about the rest. Focus on, say, 20lbs. Get that off, then re-evaluate. You do NOT want to get back on the yo-yo wagon. It would be better to buy bigger clothes and STAY PUT, rather than boarding that train! In other words, whatever you do to change things up, you'll need to keep doing for good.

Make sure you are sleeping enough. (which might mean 9 hours a night). It really will make a difference.

@cstem

When is the last time you had your labs checked?

Try just having dense Protein for a week or 2 and see if that gets things moving.

If you aren't weighing your food, make sure you are weighing and tracking every single thing you eat to make sure you are tracking accurately.

Hopefully someone who is further out from surgery than you shows up to offer you advice.

Hello Everyone!

I wanted to check in and hold myself accountable. Yesterday was not the day for me because of the things we brought to the office for someone that's leaving the company. I got up and said today would be a new start for me; I did have good intentions.

For Breakfast I had a Premier Protein shake and added Almased Protein in it. I was not hungry, but had an apple for my morning snack. For lunch I had a plain grilled hamburger patty with grilled carrots. So good so far, right? And THEN...............
I had to have some M & Ms so I bought a pack and had only 5 and gave the rest away. It was my plans to have a shake for dinner. As I walked in the house this evening, I stopped and ate some strawberries that I cooked for strawberry shortcakes; they were so delicious. KNOWing that I messed up big time; did that stop me? "NO". I grabbed some Doritos about 7 chips and at that point satisfied.

I must take control of my bad habit. All morning my stomach hurt and I continued to eat. Since I stopped chewing gum, it seems as if I have to have something in my mouth at all times. I sit around people who eat whenever and whatever. It also does not help when I have someone sitting across from my office selling candy. I know that I can do this, because I went without sweets for so long. I have always had an issue with Chips. :-(.

I'm going to get up tomorrow morning at 5 a.m. and walk on my treadmill if it's only for 20 minutes. I was doing so good until I went natural; I found out my hair and sweat do not mix. lol.

I must continue to remind myself that I can do ALL things through Christ that strengthens me.

Please keep me in prayers as I will left us all up as a group.

It sounds like you are a convenience snacker. Make sure veggies and Protein options are the easiest things to grab. Try to get rid of chips out of the house, or at least behind a locked cabinet door.

6 minutes ago, Berry78 said:

It sounds like you are a convenience snacker. Make sure veggies and Protein options are the easiest things to grab. Try to get rid of chips out of the house, or at least behind a locked cabinet door.

I never heard someone call it that; you just might be right. I tell my husband all the time to stop bringing the chips in the house.

I live with 6 other people. chips, Cookies, ice cream, cakes. Every day, all the time.

It's a mind game for sure.

I make sure I have easy-grab food for when I need something NOW. Cottage cheese, hard boiled egg, nuts, berries. Lunchmeat.

When I start roaming the kitchen, I'll eat something, then busy myself making a hot cup of tea. By time it's ready, I'm no longer craving anything, and I have something to drink in a little bit after I digest.

Convenience snacker. Don't know if I've heard that before either ;)

I have been struggling and have experienced a gain - that for the first time since surgery, I'm unable to shake off in a decent amount of months. I'm 3.5 years out and it's astounding how much has changed. So, my answer has been to enroll in a medically-supervised diet program so that I can have accountability and a very specific nutrition plan. My insurance happens to cover it (all but the cost of food), and I'm committing to giving it a number of months - both to reset my habits and to continue on my weight loss journey. I don't know if this type of thing might be of interest, but I thought I'd mention it.

Otherwise, I agree with posters above about Keto, or other specific plans like that - where it keeps us in check and closer to a pre-op diet. I know some people who've had a lot of success with Whole 30 or Paleo as well. Adding exercise might be an option for you, and definitely keep the snacking in check (one of my biggest issues). Best of luck!

Weight loss now will be as hard as it was before surgery.

I don't understand your rationale for saying this. Can you elaborate?

I'm four years out. When I have a regain (yup, happens, holidays and what not) it's ever so much easier to lose than before. My restriction is still there and helping, my hunger levels are still so much lower, everything my surgery gave me is still there and I make the decision and drop the weight and keep it off.

To the OP... sometimes our goal isn't our bodies goal. You may have hit your body's goal, regardless of pregnancy.

You might want to look into 5/2 intermittent fasting. A lot of us vets do that. There used to be some threads on it, try a search or just a general internet search.

I'm glad to hear things are so much easier than before for you.

My rationale: I believe in the set point theory. I'll assume you are familiar with it.

So it is easy to maintain the body's set point, and hard to change it. I don't know what the OP's set point is, but if the weight won't come off, then that's a good indication she is there.

You, yourself sound like you are benefitting from a happy set point. You gain a few pounds, deviate from it, and it's easy to go back.

The more I'm learning about Keto, insulin, and hormonal involvement, etc, ... I don't know... still trying to figure this stuff out. ;)

I'm glad to hear things are so much easier than before for you.
My rationale: I believe in the set point theory. I'll assume you are familiar with it.
So it is easy to maintain the body's set point, and hard to change it. I don't know what the OP's set point is, but if the weight won't come off, then that's a good indication she is there.
You, yourself sound like you are benefitting from a happy set point. You gain a few pounds, deviate from it, and it's easy to go back.
The more I'm learning about Keto, insulin, and hormonal involvement, etc, ... I don't know... still trying to figure this stuff out. [emoji6]

Definitely a complex system. But if sounds like she was maintaining her loss for a while before she got pregnant and then gained . Wouldn't the weight she was maintaining be her new set point? Shouldn't it be easy(ish) to get back to that again? Or are you saying fighting to get below that weight will be hard? If so I understand your logic.

I'm down 5 pounds; baby steps.