Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Damaged myself, alcohol?!

I am 5 months post op, I have over 5 and 1/2 stone far, but at the weekend I went out and decided to have a few glasses of wine, not before surgery I was a cider/beer person but I know to stay away from carbonated drinks.< /p>

Well the wine obviously went straight to my head and I lost all control, I landed up drinking almost 3 entire bottles of rose wine, even before surgery I could only ever have handled one bottle, this was on Saturday night and now it is Tuesday I am still be absolutely rubbish both physically and obviously mentally as well.

Obviously it was a massive wake up call that I am not ready to drink again, but I am genuinely worried if I have damaged my liver or kidneys, I'm trying to keep as hydrated as possible, but my stomach is clearly out of sync, which is then just making the guilt cycle in my head. I am so mad at myself for not having control when I have been doing so well.

Was just wondering if anyone has any advice or similar stories on this as I have given myself a real scare

Drinking once is not going to damage you. You have to drink heavily for years.

You learned from your mistake, don't beat yourself up about it, it is the past you can't change it. Just move on.

As my surgeon said to me: "be sorry, but not too sorry. We are human,not machines, after all."

Use that energy to learn and move on instead, dear. I hope you're feeling better, BTW!

Sent from my LG-H918 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks guys, think I was just beating myself up as it's my first slip since the surgery (but realised a big one lol) think being back at work after the bank holiday is helping me get into my routine and will sweat it out in the gym mates thanks for the support guys really appreciate it xx

I did the same thing at 5 months, but I thought just taking a sip here and there I would have been fine. I passed out. Like you I felt horrible, but we both learned from our mistake. I do hope you are feeling better and realize you are not the only one that may have a drink to soon. Do not beat yourself up over it and move on:)

I'd take a pretty good look at your relationship with alcohol.. it's such an easy thing to change from food addition to alcohol addition (addition substitution which WLS patients who have addiction issues are very susceptible to), if you find you have trouble controlling yourself, abstain from it entirely.

Drinking almost 3 bottles of wine is very worrisome. One may be at higher risk for a transfer addiction to alcohol due to binge drinking tendencies. I don't say this so you'll beat yourself up but for it to be an immediate wake up call to examine your relationship with alcohol. I agree with PatientEleventyBillion that you may need to completely abstain.

Edited by MarinaGirl

you managed to drink 3 bottles all by yourself? Wow you mustve been totally hammered! I know the feeling though, before surgery there were times when i would just try to drink a couple beers and then go through a whole 12 pack in an evening and then be pissed off at myself for the next two days for being out of control. I am glad knowing now it will be very difficult for me to consume beer now.

Yeah I am not a big drinker, I can go months without a drop, don't drink in the house or anything just at events, I used to be Air Force and drink with the lads but not any more and I had a bad accident and couldnt walk hence food took over wasn't even bad food it was the pure quantity of what I had, yeah I was proper smashed I used to be beer and cider but avoiding carbonated drink and realised wine is far to easy to drink