Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Denied or Cancelled after arrival in Mexico?

Hello all,

I have just started researching having this done in Mexico since my insurance has an exclusion clause that will not pay for WLS. I pretty much have my mind made up that I am going to do it, and have my choice down to 2 doctors. My question is this.....I have a high BMI (over 65), has anyone ever gotten to Mexico and not been able to have the surgery? What would be the criteria for them denying you? Would you get a refund? Are there any tests I could get my doctor to do here to insure this wouldn't happen to me? I'm just deathly afraid of committing to this, and flying there and being turned away. I'm not sure my heart or my psyche could take it

I went to Mexico with Dr. Illan. Had a wonderful experience. My BMI at time of surgery was 45, so I wasn't quite in your shoes. The best thing to do is contact each surgeon you are considering and ask all your questions.

Being turned away would definitely be for your own safety, if it were to happen.

In order to make the process as safe as possible, I would recommend you start a low-carbohydrate diet immediately. Every pound you lose now will get you closer to goal, and make surgery that much safer and the recovery easier.

The diet would be as much as you want of the following:

protein: eggs, beef, pork, chicken, fish, seafood, tofu

nonstarchy vegetables: such as green Beans, spinach, broccoli, summer squash, raw tomatoes, lettuce, raw carrots, etc.

Butter, oil, vinegar and herbs can be used on the veggies.

Add a few starchy vegetables or fruit (potatoes, beans, berries, melon etc.), but keep the carb count below 50. Under 20 is a ketogenic diet. If 50 doesn't have you losing weight, 20 will. Going Keto can have unpleasant side effects, so I recommend 50 as a start.

The diet would change to whatever your surgeon recommends, closer to surgery. You need a minimum of 2 months to really prepare for the surgery (many believe it is more like 3-6 months). You need a passport, plane tickets, and self education. I spent 2 months of constant research before going under the knife (I'm talking 8+ hours a day of research). Because by going to Mexico, we miss all the nutrition classes, psychological evaluations, counseling, and the like.

There is a huge adjustment period post op, hormones go crazy, the diet is strict, and everyone handles these things differently. Bariatric surgery is truly a life changing event.

The diet I recommended is a general one for generally healthy people. If you're diabetic, particularly if you're on insulin, the carb count has to be flexible based on your own needs. (Remember, this is an internet forum, and even though I know what I'm talking about in general.. I don't know the specifics as to how anything I say pertains to you as an individual.. so take my advice for what it's worth, but not more than that ;) ).

I had surgery in Mexico and I just saw a testimony from someone who went to my doctor who tried in March but they found a medical condition and couldn't do it... they treated the medical condition and she left without surgery but came back and had it done last week. It happens just as it does in the US but that was he first time I've heard it happening in Mexico. I'm sure you'll pay for whatever testing/treatment they do for you there and then you come back when it's safe for you to. I would ask whatever surgeon you go to what happens in instances like this (I.e deposit, return to try again, etc) because I'm sure each surgeon has different policies

If there's a way for you to get the usual tests here in the states I'd do that. Even then there's no guarantee but you'd help your chances. My tests were
Upper GI
Hpylori test
EKG which showed an abnormality so I had to do a stress test with an IV and X-rays. (Was fine)
General blood work
If you have insurance you could ask for these tests. I think getting down there to be sent home would be devastating as well.

14 hours ago, Berry78 said:

Every pound you lose now will get you closer to goal, and make surgery that much safer and the recovery easier.

Everyone needs to remember this. My Dr. did not encourage me to lose weight before surgery. I am quite happy after surgery, but it was a hard switch to do make in only one day.

Edited by Navigating the Wilderness

I suppose just like in the US, there are surgeons who will do it if your BMI is over 60, and those who won't. Just be upfront with the surgeons you're considering before you proceed. Of course, like someone said, you could have some other (unknown) issue that might keep them from doing the surgery, but that could happen here as well. Those cases aren't that common, though. Just mention your BMI when you contact them to see what they say. If they're OK with that, then proceed...

Many doctors do charge $500 or so more for BMIs over 50... my BMI was over that however my surgeon didn't charge me more. When you submit your application they'll ask for your height, weight, and likely health questions so the doctor can review it all before approving you for surgery. I wouldn't stress over all of that right now I would go ahead and find the doctor you're comfortable with and proceed. Your labs and testing will be included in the package so if you decide to get them done in the US make sure to take results and check with them ahead of time to see if they would lower the price since you already have that stuff completed. Also any medical stuff you have now I would take (a girl who had surgery the same day as me had an a-fib and took all of her information with her for the cardiologist to review before clearing her). Any good doctor whether her or abroad will have amazing coordinators that are there to help you achieve your ultimate goal so don't hesitate to ask them anything including their refund policy etc.

The Mexican doctors can't replace their testing with any done in the States, but that doesn't mean pre-testing isn't helpful. Anything that shows up amiss in pretesting can be shared with your surgeon before making the trip.. in any medical procedure...

Image result for the more you know

The Mexican doctors can't replace their testing with any done in the States, but that doesn't mean pre-testing isn't helpful. Anything that shows up amiss in pretesting can be shared with your surgeon before making the trip.. in any medical procedure...
maxresdefault.jpg

I was able to forward my results of my leg ultrasound to Dr Ilian and he very responsibly said "no". Fortunately my second test was ok and insurance approved me so I got to have it at home. It was easy to share info and they were very good about having other Drs look over my report.

To add to what others are saying, I do know that when you are put on a pre-op diet, and if on the day of surgery your liver has not shrunk enough, the surgeon will not do the surgery. That's usually how it is with surgeons in the US. With having medical issues that may come up before surgery that we might not be able to control, how we follow pre-op diet instructions is totally within our control.