Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any vegetarians or vegans?

On 8/24/2017 at 6:11 AM, Bigdog56 said:

We're in beginning phases of switching to a more plant based diet. I'll be three years post-op in October. We recently watched What the Health, and if anyone on here has seen it, WOW. It was eye popping and I haven't been the same since. And I've been an avid met eater my entire life.

I have been wondering about our higher Protein requirements, and gone back and forth. I will say that I gave it a test run this past week, and surprisingly I felt amazing. It seems to me since we're supposed to eat more fruits and veggies ANYWAY, being more plant based is the way to go. I'm not sure if we'll go all the way Vegan, but I see us making a major shift. Would love to hear others experiences.

That documentary was an eye opener for sure. I have decided to go totally plant based a little over 2 months ago...haven't looked back and it's surprisingly cheaper for me too. I hope you're doing well still, since I'm responding to a month old post. :)

I went No Oil Whole food Plant Based too and I am so grateful I did. I had surgery in 2012 and lost about 135 pounds but started gaining it back!? It was scary, to say the least. So grateful I switched to a No Oil Whole Food plant-based diet. While I get all the nutrients I need eating this way except I have to supplement B12, I also lost all the weight I gain and then some and now three years later, I am maintaining a 200-pound weight-loss! I love this way of life. What's sad, is I see those before me, where I work, to other bariatric surgery patients who lost weight and they have gained it all back and then some, so scary. It keeps me on my toes. I follow my way of eating strictly, which is easy and I exercise/walk moderately 5 days a week and that's it. I which I had known about this way of eating before surgery, there's no deprivation, I enjoy food as much as I ever did and I don't have to weigh or measure or limit my intake. Now, I don't gorge myself, I eat until I am satiated and if I am hungry again in 20 minutes I eat again. I just feel so free thanks to this lifestyle. Thank you for starting this thread!

Check out the vegan online stores for Multivitamins and compare the amount of Vitamins and minerals in them with the recommended products. That should be working fine. I was lucky that the nutritionists at the hospital also recommended a product that is (most likely accidentally) vegan.

I am pre-op and I am not not vegan but can’t eat dairy or eggs (or gluten or peanuts) so the Protein Shakes I am drinking now are vegan. Did anyone have trouble with their shakes making them hungry like 30 minutes later? If I eat Breakfast I’m fine until lunch if I drink a Protein Shake in between I am so hungry for lunch that I have to eat earlier than usual! What shakes did you all use?
Thanks so much!

I'm wading in , not vegan/vegetarian but starting to tilt that way after Dr Matthew Weiner et all. My favorite and it's soy based is Svelte, a little lower Protein count but I don't taste a pronounced soy taste, I like the French vanilla, it satisfies me pretty well I don't seem to get a quick hunger return.🍶