Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back to basics and really doing it!

Hi all just a late check in-- started weight lifting last week and somehow I've gained 2 lbs -- I think some of it is prob Water weight. This morning I was at 229 up from last weeks 227 but oddly on Friday I was 224 go figure? Anyway just going to keep on plan and hope it was a fluke... how are you all hanging in there?

Awesome that you are weightlifting Slim, keep it up. Yea, sometimes the scales plays games when we add something to our routines that it's not used too. Give it a few weeks and you will see the fruit of your labor. I want to start weight lifting too, I was in a really good routine of going to the gym daily but fell off when my daughter got on summer break and my nieces came to stay with me. I used to go when I took her to school but now my schedule is super out of whack.

Joining. I'm super frustrated. I'm eating 1300ish a day and waffling up and down the same couple of pounds. My body is super efficient with food. In Russia in the 1800's that would have been great. Now? Not so much. I'm sticking with it but starting to feel like the weight is going to go up no matter what I do.

Welcome twistedbarbieLA! Are you getting in all your Protein and Water? I know that carbs play a big role in weight gain for me and something I let back in my diet slowly over the years that caused my weight gain. Try and get back to the basics of what your surgeon prescribed right after surgery

Hello friends,

Yesterday was a very busy day for me, in fact this whole last week has been. Here is my check in for the week. Slowly going down but going down, yes! Hoping to be out of the 190's soon. Missing some of you all that used to post a lot but have been silent over the past few weeks. I want to encourage everyone to stick with it and continue being transparent as this is a safe place to get support. It's a journey and won't happen overnight. Realizing I gotta change my brain and the power that I have given to food. I'm learning, I'm growing, I mess up but I refuse to give up. Rooting and cheering for each and every one of you.

Last week 197.6
Down 2.2 pounds from last week

IMG_0252.JPG

1 hour ago, chiquitabananaz14 said:

Welcome twistedbarbieLA! Are you getting in all your Protein and Water? I know that carbs play a big role in weight gain for me and something I let back in my diet slowly over the years that caused my weight gain. Try and get back to the basics of what your surgeon prescribed right after surgery

Thanks. Yes, I eat a lot of Protein even when not "eating well."

My story is super long, but the short version is: Was banded in 05, lost over 100% of excess weight, ended up in treatment for anorexia, was convinced I should eat "normally," slowly gained weight through grad school, then gained more while working, then infertility treatment put it all over the top and now I'm back where I started 12 years later. I'm headed towards bypass, but eating (mostly) the way one would post bypass now because - why wait?

I have tried this a couple times over the years, but it never lasted because of one reason or another. With bypass somewhere in sight, it's easier to keep going.

The scale is moving now. I sort of forgot that this is ALWAYS what happens with my period. I drop right after it starts but hold on to weight right before.

Haven't been posting because I feel I've been sabotaging again in the evenings and I'm afraid to get on the scale. When I went to my last Endo appointment, I was down 5 lbs, and that was just coming off vacation and a cruise on top of it! My A1C was down to 6.7 (for those who are diabetic they will know what that represents, for the rest of you it is a 3 month average of where your blood sugars are at daily) which is the lowest it has been in over 20+ years! My cholesterol and triglycerides continue to lower as well. This was the real reason for surgery for me, but I still want to lose weight and feel better about myself. I've been working out again, and not always at the gym. My daughter and I have been doing some Water aerobics in the pool (in my yard!), and also visiting a nearby watershed conservancy that has hiking trails. We are going for about 40 minute walks and in the pool for at least 45 minutes. Great resistance in the water!

Slim, weightlifting is going to add a few pounds to the scale because muscle weighs more than fat. Don't be discouraged and don't always go according to the scale; go according to how your clothes are fitting and how you feel.

Chaquita, the scale is moving nicely for you! Keep up the great job!

Had my band removed yesterday because of some issues I was banded 10 years . I'm considering the sleeve my doctor wants me to heal 3 months before i do that and ill have to self pay in Mexico as my insurance won't cover it my BMI is to low and I'm not considered obese anymore. stressed and trying to figure out whats best for me some of my family keeps telling me you can do it on your own without surgery so frustrated and sad right now

On 7/9/2017 at 10:07 AM, chiquitabananaz14 said:

Went to a friends wedding yesterday. I hope you all are having a great weekend. IMG_0145.JPG

You are really beautiful!!!

So I've been MIA for a couple weeks due to vacation and staying away from the internet.... I'm an aspiring novelist, so I REEEEAALLLY have to try to focus on my writing if I ever want to "get there." But I just read posts from the past couple of weeks and have seen the ups and downs... I had a couple myself. But as of today I'm 169.6.... within 10 lbs of my goal weight! I'm pretty excited about that. I had to give up 80% of the carbs I was eating, and I've been careful with sodium.... upped the Protein, and 'as for now' it seems to be working. I'm happy, but always scared.

This is the first 4th of July in YEARS that I haven't been embarrassed to take a picture with my family. So I'm sharing.

Family_4th_of_July.jpg

Edited by Bears_Chick

So I've been MIA for a couple weeks due to vacation and staying away from the internet.... I'm an aspiring novelist, so I REEEEAALLLY have to try to focus on my writing if I ever want to "get there." But I just read posts from the past couple of weeks and have seen the ups and downs... I had a couple myself. But as of today I'm 169.6.... within 10 lbs of my goal weight! I'm pretty excited about that. I had to give up 80% of the carbs I was eating, and I've been careful with sodium.... upped the Protein, and 'as for now' it seems to be working. I'm happy, but always scared.
This is the first 4th of July in YEARS that I haven't been embarrassed to take a picture with my family. So I'm sharing.
Family_4th_of_July.thumb.jpg.86c321e8c3cf4eccb9e7199a396ceb0e.jpg

Beautiful family!! So awesome that you are a writer, I love that.

Had my band removed yesterday because of some issues I was banded 10 years . I'm considering the sleeve my doctor wants me to heal 3 months before i do that and ill have to self pay in Mexico as my insurance won't cover it my BMI is to low and I'm not considered obese anymore. stressed and trying to figure out whats best for me some of my family keeps telling me you can do it on your own without surgery so frustrated and sad right now

Try not to be frustrated and get down on stuff that is out of your control. Sometimes the waiting part of our process is where we grow most. Trust that in the right time, it will all come together. Praying for you

Hello friends,

This past week has been one of breakthrough for me and learning so much about myself. I was asked to share some of my poetry with the Young Adults at my church last Friday and it was the first time that I felt truly confident and happy with who I was. I was happy with the person I was becoming and stepping in being- like really living. My identity was not wrapped around what I looked like, obsessing over a number on the scale or the "I'll be happy when" mindset. I am actually happy. Truly uncovering the depths of my being and who God created me to be has brought me freedom. I am done obsessing over my weight and letting it consume my life and shaping my whole life around if I am losing or not. I want to be healthy, I want to be alive, I want to truly enjoy my reality and I believe I am doing that! I still plan on controlling my weight but I am no longer allowing my weight to control me. This is an NSV for me, big time! IMG_0994.JPG

All of you who have posted pictures look fantastic! I feel like I don't look any different, and I avoid cameras as much as possible. So, I really don't have any pictures to post.

I did find out something very interesting at my last doctor visit with my Endocrinologist. Because I am diabetic (T2), and because I use insulin (not as much as I used to of course), my body is unable to get into ketosis to burn fat. Therefore, the stomach weight and roundness is due of course to the insulin, which I still require to avoid high blood sugars. I knew going into this that the longer you have been using insulin, the less likely you would completely be able to go off of it. I do not believe my pancreas produces much insulin on its own anymore, unfortunately. Because of past medications and such, my poor beta cells have burned out and died off. They do not reproduce once they die. So, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with my weight loss journey. I will never give up, and I've modified the bad stuff back out of my life again. All I can do is continue on with my journey and know that God has a master plan for me. I trust in Him and all I can do is try.

I'm so happy for all of you who have reclaimed your journey and are succeeding! Cudos!

@chiquitabananaz14
I am one of those people who haven't posted in a couple weeks. When I feel good I post, when I'm down I stay away. I'm almost 3 yrs Post op and my mind feels back to square one. I'm full of excuses, I eat to much and exercise 0. I am the only one to blame. When I started here on this blog I was so excited ( and still am) that I wasn't alone. But, I make myself alone by avoiding the people who can support me the most. I was 168 when I posted my first weight and now I'm 171.
What have you done to help regain control? In a way I feel like I have given up.

10 hours ago, chiquitabananaz14 said:

Hello friends,

This past week has been one of breakthrough for me and learning so much about myself. I was asked to share some of my poetry with the Young Adults at my church last Friday and it was the first time that I felt truly confident and happy with who I was. I was happy with the person I was becoming and stepping in being- like really living. My identity was not wrapped around what I looked like, obsessing over a number on the scale or the "I'll be happy when" mindset. I am actually happy. Truly uncovering the depths of my being and who God created me to be has brought me freedom. I am done obsessing over my weight and letting it consume my life and shaping my whole life around if I am losing or not. I want to be healthy, I want to be alive, I want to truly enjoy my reality and I believe I am doing that! I still plan on controlling my weight but I am no longer allowing my weight to control me. This is an NSV for me, big time! IMG_0994.JPG

That's amazing! I love it! Everything you said!

Hi everyone. LOVE all the pics, beautiful women and families. Everyone looks happy. I have been struggling so bad. I am attending a new support group this week and hopeful that the people there will be really helpful to me. Ultimately, getting myself back on track is UP TO ME.

I have had so many life changes since my surgery. I have moved to a new area completely, changed jobs/career paths, went back to school, lost a parent, etc. These are not excuses, but definite clues into my struggle. I have used food as a crutch for so long. In addition, I am the breadwinner and during my graduate education I have worked all sorts of crazy hours. I do what I have to, and keeping the check coming in' is the most important so I do everything I can at my job. Normally I work an afternoon/night shift but currently on days for at least another month, so I'm really going to try and use these weeks to focus on my health and get my eating back under control.